Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: WJC

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: WJC

Also sell high on Troy Terry if you can. Stock has never been higher and the kid might not even ever make the NHL.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

my thoughts from the tourney:

1. No one knows how to take a slap shot. Get a cross ice pass? Better stop it, wait for the goalie to get back in position, and then wrist it at the net. I haven't been paying attention much to other teams unless they are playing Canada but it is so evident on the Canadian roster that no one can one-time the puck.

2. Shootouts are ****ing awful. I would have rather seen USA score in OT than have a shootout decide an international tournament.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Feel like this isn't getting enough run. Did the coach have a style? I think he was a terrible coach. They played a typical run and gun, no structure, "Q" style hockey. How many times did Canada have the puck 2 feet from the blueline and turn it over instead of getting it out. That happened a lot. Some of that is on the players, but a lot of that was on the coach too. He was clearly instructing them to carry it out and try and make a play instead of just chipping it out the boards, which is fine except it wasn't working.3 or maybe all 4 American goals came after Canada turned the puck over 2 feet from the blue line.

Not to derail this thread, but Kessel like? You mean the guy that carried Pittsburgh's offense through the playoffs and many people should have won the Conn Smythe? That Kessel? Whooooooooshhh, take your Toronto blinders off once in a while bud.
    Like, he can carry, but Kessel wasn?t necessarily relied on? Like there was Malkin (not healthy tho) and Crosby. All year Kessel was this guy who regularly chipped in on the scoresheet, but when he didn?t for 3 games, there weren?t headlines because he wasn?t THE guy. But he would help you win games. Then the playoffs come and he goes off and scores regularly. But if he went in and scored like 10-14pts in 20games (40-60pt/82games), no one would have written ?Penguins win despite Kessel not showing up?.

You don?t build around Kessel? He?s not this guy who you can look at and ask him to go out and win you THAT game often. Like he just doesn?t seem to have that clutch factor that some guys have.

PS I really enjoyed Kessel when he was a Leaf and I never really pooped on him so it?s not like the comparison was out of dislike.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    my thoughts from the tourney:

1. No one knows how to take a slap shot. Get a cross ice pass? Better stop it, wait for the goalie to get back in position, and then wrist it at the net. I haven't been paying attention much to other teams unless they are playing Canada but it is so evident on the Canadian roster that no one can one-time the puck.

2. Shootouts are ****ing awful. I would have rather seen USA score in OT than have a shootout decide an international tournament.
    FWIW, I'm not sure I saw one Canadian defenseman put a pass in someone's wheelhouse all tournament. Setting a guy up for a one timer is a skill, and I don't think Canada possessed a defenseman who had that skill (yes, including Chabot).

And nobody was complaining about the shootout when Toews and Price were winning them.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

FWIW, I'm not sure I saw one Canadian defenseman put a pass in someone's wheelhouse all tournament. Setting a guy up for a one timer is a skill, and I don't think Canada possessed a defenseman who had that skill (yes, including Chabot).

And nobody was complaining about the shootout when Toews and Price were winning them.
    there were definitely a bunch of instances where the forward on the PP was setup for a one time and they just held the puck, Strome in particular.

you're right, not many complaints then but i think it's clear after 4 periods of excellent hockey no fan of either country wanted to see it decided in a shootout.

they should change it to continous 5 on 5 OT or make it 4 on 4 after 1st OT etc, at least for the medal rounds.

Dobber Sports Deity

Myers, but unfortunately he wasn't around when it really counted. Too bad.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

I don't see that. Chabot can do that with ease. The problem was guys like Barzal and Strome aren't shooters. And the rest are tweeners who aren't that skilled or goal scorers. They should have taken Sam Steel for more offensive skill.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    Another epic USA-CAN game!!!

Chabot is going to be a very good player in the NHL for a long time and I was impressed with him almost every time he touched the puck. He had no business being in front of the net on his goal, but if he hadn't been there he wouldn't have scored. That play reminded me of the old adage referring to playing the lottery- 'you can't win if you don't play'. Kudos to the Sens scouting department for their drafting of Chabot and White.

It's one of those moments where you hate to be right, but even when we were up by 2 goals I found myself uttering swear words every time Clayton Keller touched the puck. He's a very dangerous player. It was nice to see Bellows break out of his 'slump' in a good way. I had considered making some offers for him before the tourney but didn't. I wish I would have at least asked some questions regarding his availability before he shone on the big stage. Troy Terry was a beast in the shoot-out - money. Here is what I had to say in the Team Canada Lines thread:

"I will still be cheering at the top of of my lungs for the Canadian boys and as much as I hope that they will win, the realist in me tells me that this team is very underwhelming, on paper anyway. I hope that they can dig into their bag of intangibles and prove me wrong.

I am of the opinion that Team USA is the team to beat. They have a very dynamic team that will have fans out of their seats every game. It might have a lot to do with owning Clayton Keller and Adam Fox (don't we all like to pat ourselves on the back for our successful scouting?). I can't wait to hear "Keller receives a pass from Fox, dekes out two guys and passes it to (insert name of chosen sniper here) for the goal!

I have been right about Colin White and Kyle Connor in the not too distant past and I hope I am not wrong with Keller and Fox. I am fairly confident that these two will put on a show this Christmas. We're in for a treat."

Fox ended up with 3 pts in the gold medal game. A funny thing happened while I was watching the game last night. On the goal where Fox swatted the puck directly to the Canadian player that led to a Team Canada goal - I cheered quietly that Canada scored and upon seeing that it was Fox that gave the puck away - I swore loudly, causing one of my friends to give me a weird look for appearing to 'Boo' a Canadian goal. It was a funny moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Another epic USA-CAN game!!!

Chabot is going to be a very good player in the NHL for a long time and I was impressed with him almost every time he touched the puck. He had no business being in front of the net on his goal, but if he hadn't been there he wouldn't have scored. That play reminded me of the old adage referring to playing the lottery- 'you can't win if you don't play'. Kudos to the Sens scouting department for their drafting of Chabot and White.

It's one of those moments where you hate to be right, but even when we were up by 2 goals I found myself uttering swear words every time Clayton Keller touched the puck. He's a very dangerous player. It was nice to see Bellows break out of his 'slump' in a good way. I had considered making some offers for him before the tourney but didn't. I wish I would have at least asked some questions regarding his availability before he shone on the big stage. Troy Terry was a beast in the shoot-out - money. Here is what I had to say in the Team Canada Lines thread:

"I will still be cheering at the top of of my lungs for the Canadian boys and as much as I hope that they will win, the realist in me tells me that this team is very underwhelming, on paper anyway. I hope that they can dig into their bag of intangibles and prove me wrong.

I am of the opinion that Team USA is the team to beat. They have a very dynamic team that will have fans out of their seats every game. It might have a lot to do with owning Clayton Keller and Adam Fox (don't we all like to pat ourselves on the back for our successful scouting?). I can't wait to hear "Keller receives a pass from Fox, dekes out two guys and passes it to (insert name of chosen sniper here) for the goal!

I have been right about Colin White and Kyle Connor in the not too distant past and I hope I am not wrong with Keller and Fox. I am fairly confident that these two will put on a show this Christmas. We're in for a treat."

Fox ended up with 3 pts in the gold medal game. A funny thing happened while I was watching the game last night. On the goal where Fox swatted the puck directly to the Canadian player that led to a Team Canada goal - I cheered quietly that Canada scored and upon seeing that it was Fox that gave the puck away - I swore loudly, causing one of my friends to give me a weird look for appearing to 'Boo' a Canadian goal. It was a funny moment.
    I liked some of Fox's game. He should be much better next year. He had a good playmaking game last night but also directly caused goals. BUt he;s an offensive D who needs to take risk.

Keller was great. He wand White were my top two forwards out of Canada and USA.

- - - Updated - - -

Feel like this isn't getting enough run. Did the coach have a style? I think he was a terrible coach. They played a typical run and gun, no structure, "Q" style hockey. How many times did Canada have the puck 2 feet from the blueline and turn it over instead of getting it out. That happened a lot. Some of that is on the players, but a lot of that was on the coach too. He was clearly instructing them to carry it out and try and make a play instead of just chipping it out the boards, which is fine except it wasn't working.3 or maybe all 4 American goals came after Canada turned the puck over 2 feet from the blue line.

Not to derail this thread, but Kessel like? You mean the guy that carried Pittsburgh's offense through the playoffs and many people should have won the Conn Smythe? That Kessel? Whooooooooshhh, take your Toronto blinders off once in a while bud.
    It's hard to have structure when guys never play together. USA players are way more familiar than Canada. Euro teams and USA have this edge on us.

Dobber Sports Pro

Loving all the "Canada didn't have enough skill" comments. What's wrong, was your mens league team too busy?? Sounds like you coulda helped bring home Gold.

Gimme a break. That roster was incredible. All in all they had a strong tournament. I do agree that coaching and turnovers seemed to be the main issues with Canada, but saying they lacked skill and didn't make one tape-to-tape pass is pretty silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Loving all the "Canada didn't have enough skill" comments. What's wrong, was your mens league team too busy?? Sounds like you coulda helped bring home Gold.

Gimme a break. That roster was incredible. All in all they had a strong tournament. I do agree that coaching and turnovers seemed to be the main issues with Canada, but saying they lacked skill and didn't make one tape-to-tape pass is pretty silly.

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post

Who's saying they didn't have enough skill? I haven't seen that at all. Lots of people have said their best players weren't their best, and I said their defensemen didn't have one specific skill, but making a tape to tape pass is significantly different from being able to properly set up a one-timer.