Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hockey's Future Top 50

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lockedge View Post
    Odd that Merrill is so high, and Faulk is nowhere to be found.

Why is Emerson Etem on the list? Why is Simon Despres there?

It's a solid list, but there are some definite question marks
    Simon Despres is pretty solid.

It's a top 50 people, there are obviously going to be some that you disagree with. Some people can't even name 50 prospects let along rank them

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Simon Despres is pretty solid.

It's a top 50 people, there are obviously going to be some that you disagree with. Some people can't even name 50 prospects let along rank them
    Hah, true enough :P
    My contentions with Despres and Etem have mostly lingered since their draft years. Despres has improved somewhat but he's more or less riding on potential than displayed ability right now, and I feel there's at least ten other dmen who have progressed past him, while offering up similar potential.
    Same with Etem, really.

But it is a top 50 list, you're right. I just think some guys are getting their spots because of their draft position rather than how they've played and developed.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Banned

Despres is gonna be limited offensively but he has helped his team dominate this season. Only 7 losses the whole year. He just won the Top D award for the Q.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lockedge View Post
    My contentions with Despres and Etem have mostly lingered since their draft years. Despres has improved somewhat but he's more or less riding on potential than displayed ability right now, and I feel there's at least ten other dmen who have progressed past him, while offering up similar potential.
    Despres has nothing but improved since his draft day. He almost made Pens out of the training camp last fall. Look at our D and you'll notice how much that says about Despres. But he was sent down and he was the best D-man in QMHJL this year. Despres is a top-prospect and has been excellent since his draft day.

Despres is easily worthy of a spot in a top-50 prospects list.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Despres has nothing but improved since his draft day. He almost made Pens out of the training camp last fall. Look at our D and you'll notice how much that says about Despres. But he was sent down and he was the best D-man in QMHJL this year. Despres is a top-prospect and has been excellent since his draft day.

Despres is easily worthy of a spot in a top-50 prospects list.
    I'd put him a bit lower on the list but he would still be in the Top 50. I don't know if he's a "top prospect" but if you consider all Top 50to be top prospects then sure.

and to play devil's advocate to my own comment, if he didn't play well this year then there would have been serious concerns.

Dobber Sports Guru

I'd put him a bit lower on the list but he would still be in the Top 50. I don't know if he's a "top prospect" but if you consider all Top 50to be top prospects then sure.

and to play devil's advocate to my own comment, if he didn't play well this year then there would have been serious concerns.
    I don't consider everyone on that list as being a top-prospect but most of them are - and Despres is one of those guys who is a top-prospect. Despres has really high upside - not so much from fantasy point of view but for a real hockey team. Had it not been Despres Pens wouldn't probably had the luxury in trading away Goligoski. Goligoski may put up more points but Despres has all the tools to be a better D-man in NHL than Goligoski is.

As for your last sentence - couldn't the same be said about every prospect in the world?

Banned

I don't consider everyone on that list as being a top-prospect but most of them are - and Despres is one of those guys who is a top-prospect. Despres has really high upside - not so much from fantasy point of view but for a real hockey team. Had it not been Despres Pens wouldn't probably had the luxury in trading away Goligoski. Goligoski may put up more points but Despres has all the tools to be a better D-man in NHL than Goligoski is.

As for your last sentence - couldn't the same be said about every prospect in the world?
    It is said for guys who go back for their 4th year in the CHL. You basically need to dominate that year or else is looks bad on you. You're 3-4 years older than most players in the league.

Dobber Sports Guru

It is said for guys who go back for their 4th year in the CHL. You basically need to dominate that year or else is looks bad on you. You're 3-4 years older than most players in the league.
    It may have been Despres' 4th year in the CHL but he's still only 19-years old. So it's not like he was playing an overage season this year.

Banned

It may have been Despres' 4th year in the CHL but he's still only 19-years old. So it's not like he was playing an overage season this year.
    I don't think the age matters. If you're a top prospect and you don't dominate in your 4th year, it will be frowned upon. You gotta be a lot better than the average CHL player in your 4th season.

Jared Cowen, Ryan Ellis, Simon Despres, etc. all had to dominate this year, and they all did.

The Great One

I agree with Big Ev...actually I'll take it one step further and say if you don't have above average stats in the CHL after your draft year, then its frowned upon.

As for THN top 50....I think their list is way more accurate. Their ranking comes from "a blend of ratings provided by a panel of 18 NHL scouts". How can you argue that?

Someone asked for THN's top 50 so here it is...

1. Schenn
    2. Johansen
    3. Kuznetsov
    4. Gudbranson
    5. Tarasenko
    6. Niederreiter
    7. Ellis
    8. Markstrom
    9 Boedker
    10. Campbell
    11. Coyle
    12. Gormley
    13. Kadri
    14.Kassian
    15. Erixon
    16. Hodgson
    17. Smith
    18. Kreider
    19. Adam
    20. Granlund
    21. Leddy
    22. Rundblad
    23. Schwartz
    24. Dalpe
    25. Caron
    26. Gjugstad
    27. Leblanc
    28. Morin
    29. Filatov
    30. Cormier
    31. Connolly
    32. Josefson
    33. Faulk
    34. Palmiere
    35. Moore
    36. Petry
    37. Allen
    38. Tatar
    39. Loktionov
    40. Cowen
    41. Jarnkrok
    42. Hishon
    43. de Haan
    44. Lehner
    45. Colborne
    46. Bennett
    47. Merill
    48. Eakin
    49. Forbort
    50. McIlrath

Dobber Sports Guru

the two lists do have different parameters though. For instance Bernier is no longer on the THN list and neither is Ekman-Larsson where as they are still on the HF list

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyGuru View Post
    I agree with Big Ev...actually I'll take it one step further and say if you don't have above average stats in the CHL after your draft year, then its frowned upon.

As for THN top 50....I think their list is way more accurate. Their ranking comes from "a blend of ratings provided by a panel of 18 NHL scouts". How can you argue that?

Someone asked for THN's top 50 so here it is...

1. Schenn
    2. Johansen
    3. Kuznetsov
    4. Gudbranson
    5. Tarasenko
    6. Niederreiter
    7. Ellis
    8. Markstrom
    9 Boedker
    10. Campbell
    11. Coyle
    12. Gormley
    13. Kadri
    14.Kassian
    15. Erixon
    16. Hodgson
    17. Smith
    18. Kreider
    19. Adam
    20. Granlund
    21. Leddy
    22. Rundblad
    23. Schwartz
    24. Dalpe
    25. Caron
    26. Gjugstad
    27. Leblanc
    28. Morin
    29. Filatov
    30. Cormier
    31. Connolly
    32. Josefson
    33. Faulk
    34. Palmiere
    35. Moore
    36. Petry
    37. Allen
    38. Tatar
    39. Loktionov
    40. Cowen
    41. Jarnkrok
    42. Hishon
    43. de Haan
    44. Lehner
    45. Colborne
    46. Bennett
    47. Merill
    48. Eakin
    49. Forbort
    50. McIlrath
    Thank you FG!
    Really appreciate it, rep to you!
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

The Great One

no problem buddy

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    No I think he (Kadri) should be much lower.
    I'm curious to know why you feel this way?

I've watched this guy play a lot and I'm very excited by what I've seen. You could certainly knock him for some of his silly decisions with the puck but this is all part of the learning curve......his skills are undeniable and he'll be getting primo minutes in Toronto next year.

It seems that a sentiment has developed around these boards within the past 6 months that Kadri somehow hasn't lived up to expectations, if this is true I'd use it as a great buy-low opportunity. Kadri will be a more useful fantasy option next year than 90% of this list, bank it!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    I'm curious to know why you feel this way?

I've watched this guy play a lot and I'm very excited by what I've seen. You could certainly knock him for some of his silly decisions with the puck but this is all part of the learning curve......his skills are undeniable and he'll be getting primo minutes in Toronto next year.

It seems that a sentiment has developed around these boards within the past 6 months that Kadri somehow hasn't lived up to expectations, if this is true I'd use it as a great buy-low opportunity. Kadri will be a more useful fantasy option next year than 90% of this list, bank it!
    Lots of Leaf haters out there. Kadri is deserving of his rank.