Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Dustin Byfuglien sustainable?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Is Dustin Byfuglien sustainable?

OK, no doubt he is a talented guy. But do you think he will continue to play and score at this rate of the years?

The reason I ask is Wideman and Myers both have had stellar seasons but seem to have come back down to reality?
    Team 1:
    10 Team Keeper, keep 16.
    Cat: +/-, PIMs, G, A, Pts, STG (PPG+SHG), GAA, SPct, W
    Roto, No Max games, weekly lineups - 12F, 6D, 4G - 6 bench

F: Benn, Bennett, Crosby, Hughes, Keller, Kopitar, Lindolm, Perron, Schmalts, Stephenson, Tavares, Thompson
    Bench - Lafreniere, Roslovic, Schenn

D: Chabot, Dahlin, Josi, Hronek, Morrissey, Schenn
    Bench - Sandin

G: F. Copley, Gustavsson, Skinner, Sorokin
    Bench: Merzlikins, Petersen, Andersen (IR)

Administrator

I believe he will slow down at some point. Point-per-game dmen are so rare. It's a favorable situation next to Enstrom and he did catch some people by surprise. Let's see how long the magic continues.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The bigger question for me is not if he'll maintain it - but if he does maintain it, what can we expect from his next year?

Dobber Sports Pro

Byfuglien is only 25 and still has a lot of very good hockey left in him. I think it is possible that he could sustain this pace this year. I don't think I would draft him with the expectation of a point per game though. I would draft him as a 55-60 point defenseman and be very happy with that. If someone wanted to take him as a point-per-game defenseman, I think I would be more than happy to let them take that risk.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    Byfuglien is only 25 and still has a lot of very good hockey left in him. I think it is possible that he could sustain this pace this year. I don't think I would draft him with the expectation of a point per game though. I would draft him as a 55-60 point defenseman and be very happy with that. If someone wanted to take him as a point-per-game defenseman, I think I would be more than happy to let them take that risk.
    That's a good point and I should have been more clear in my original post. It depends what the thread author means by sustainable. Asking for a point a game is a tall task even if you own Mike Green. But Buffy is probably a safe 50-60 points with sick upside moving forward.

Dobber Sports Legend

Byfuglien is a rover and Atlanta is looking to entertain fans. Because of this, Buff will shine and is fantasy gold right now. As long as he stays with the Thrashers and remains listed as a defenseman he should put up anywhere from 55-75 points.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Byfuglien is a rover and Atlanta is looking to entertain fans. Because of this, Buff will shine and is fantasy gold right now. As long as he stays with the Thrashers and remains listed as a defenseman he should put up anywhere from 55-75 points.
    That about nailed it, fungchen.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Pro

Would you draft him over Green/Doughty/Keith/Letang (I know he doesn't really belong, but I wanted to put someone on my team in there! )

UDL Western Kings

In a limited keeper w/ your scoring cats I'd rather have Doughty (long term). But I would be so bold as to say I'd take Buff over the others. But that's with your scoring cats and the PIMs are a big part of that.

Buff's only risk is getting moved from atlanta, and I just don't see that happening anytime soon.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Pro

Yeah, the PIMs are huge. I would have a hard time drafting him with the expectation of 75 pts though.

UDL Western Kings

Yeah, the PIMs are huge. I would have a hard time drafting him with the expectation of 75 pts though.
    Well, 75 is a bit much, agreed.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Hard to believe he has moved into this class, but he he has. He's passed Danny Boyle, Lidstrom, Weber and a bunch of others. I remember when the Blackhawks traded him and he said and I quote "It's not everyday someone puts a stick in your ass, but I have to go to my new team now"... Something like that lol. Buff is just jokes man, he's a freggin rockstar, with the Thrashers in the next few years you have to like what he has around him.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    Hard to believe he has moved into this class, but he he has. He's passed Danny Boyle, Lidstrom, Weber and a bunch of others. I remember when the Blackhawks traded him and he said and I quote "It's not everyday someone puts a stick in your ass, but I have to go to my new team now"... Something like that lol. Buff is just jokes man, he's a freggin rockstar, with the Thrashers in the next few years you have to like what he has around him.
    In arctic's league I think he's in that class. Points -only, I'm not there yet.

Close, but....
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

What we know is he's one outstanding hockey player. He is an impact player at both forward and defense. Sure his numbers as a winger were not overwhelming, but few can argue how effective he was at helping the Hawks win games. And now as a dman he's a fantasy hockey god.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    What we know is he's one outstanding hockey player. He is an impact player at both forward and defense. Sure his numbers as a winger were not overwhelming, but few can argue how effective he was at helping the Hawks win games. And now as a dman he's a fantasy hockey god.
    Essentially, he's that. He became an very average fantasy player to a top commodity defenseman, being the main centerpiece in trades for people like Staal and Getzlaf. If in july you told me that a deal would be made that sent Getzlaf and a scrub for Buff and an average guy, I'd laugh at you. But he's huge, and will be a great fantasy player for years to come.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel