Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan controversy

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Joe Rogan controversy

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I think it was an honest apology. It was taken out of context in most instances, but the time's he was making a joke and used it is just plain bad. I understand the context he was using it in, but I still don't agree with it. I knew at a very young age not to say it, no matter the circumstance, so for grown adults to still be throwing it around in this day and age is a little ridiculous.

I don't think it should be ok for anyone to say it regardless of race, but obviously I can't speak for the black community. I understand why they want to "own" that word.

Do I think Joe is racist? Not at all. Do I think Joe is an idiot for having used it more than a couple times? Yes.
    I get your point. I am always skeptical after an apology comes out after something is revealed. I always think "is this a genuine apology because you are sorry? Or an apology that was made because people think badly of you now that this has surfaced?"

His Plantet of the Apes conversation was particularly bad. Immediately after saying it, he even acknowledged "wow, that's an incredibly racist thing to say" and laughed about it.

I also will admit to having said the word in the past before. Haven't in years, but I am definitely not innocent. I try to remain objective. A buddy of mine asked "is it never OK to say now? What if you are quoting somebody? What if you teach African American history? What if you are an actor in a Tarantino movie?" Interesting points, for sure.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

It was never ok to say unless you're black. That has never changed...

Dobber Sports Titan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-nqo6mYkE4

Ok soooo he also said he walked into a movie theatre in a black neighbourhood and called it walking into the planet of the apes....

Wow....uhhhh....something should happen
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-nqo6mYkE4

Ok soooo he also said he walked into a movie theatre in a black neighbourhood and called it walking into the planet of the apes....

Wow....uhhhh....something should happen
    It's pretty bad, but I hope as a society we can keep the distinction between saying inappropriate things and generally being a hardcore racist that hates black people. Both are bad, but they are not the same thing. It's like Louie CK getting lumped in with rapists. Sure, he did some weird inappropriate stuff, but he didn't rape anyone so it's ludicrous to treat those things similarly. Rogan has made some inappropriate jokes and used words he shouldn't have, but it's not the same as being some kind of white nationalist, cross-burning KKK racist.

The Great One

Hipgnosis Songs Fund is a British Guernsey-registered music IP investment and song management company founded by Merck Mercuriadis and Nile Rodgers in 2018.

Really interesting. They own a shit ton of other music as well.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    It's pretty bad, but I hope as a society we can keep the distinction between saying inappropriate things and generally being a hardcore racist that hates black people. Both are bad, but they are not the same thing. It's like Louie CK getting lumped in with rapists. Sure, he did some weird inappropriate stuff, but he didn't rape anyone so it's ludicrous to treat those things similarly. Rogan has made some inappropriate jokes and used words he shouldn't have, but it's not the same as being some kind of white nationalist, cross-burning KKK racist.
    Does comparing black people in a theatre to planet of the apes not racist tho? I've always been the stance of "if the people who are the ones being attacked are upset, then it's wrong". This is too much of a splitting hairs discussion of is he racist or hardcore racist. To me both are bad, and not something that should be "weellll at least he didn't light a cross on fire" type of comparisson.

I have no idea what's going to happen here because the crowd that mostly listens to Rogan, probably aren't as hurt as others over this. My first post, I didn't think it was as bad as it was, so now I have no idea what's going to happen.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Breaking: known charlatan, in a shocking act, continues to act like a charlatan.

For profit company that profits of charlatan continues to support profiting of said charlatan.

That’s all this is. If Rogan was bad for profits they would dump him. Currently he’s not, so currently they keep him. If that changes, their actions change.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I get your point. I am always skeptical after an apology comes out after something is revealed. I always think "is this a genuine apology because you are sorry? Or an apology that was made because people think badly of you now that this has surfaced?"

His Plantet of the Apes conversation was particularly bad. Immediately after saying it, he even acknowledged "wow, that's an incredibly racist thing to say" and laughed about it.

I also will admit to having said the word in the past before. Haven't in years, but I am definitely not innocent. I try to remain objective. A buddy of mine asked "is it never OK to say now? What if you are quoting somebody? What if you teach African American history? What if you are an actor in a Tarantino movie?" Interesting points, for sure.

Rylant
    Well, that's big of you. Most people pretend like they're perfect and haven't said anything that could come back to bite them. As for if it's ok to say in those instances, I'm not qualified to speak on that
    side note - there were a few comedians who made jokes about what it would have been like for DiCaprio in Django and him saying the word. Pretty funny stuff.

People need to put themselves in Rogan's shoes and ask themselves; "If people had over 265,000 MINUTES of audio/video to comb through of my conversations with friends, family, co-workers, etc. How many things could someone pick out and try and cancel me for." (That's just the average podcast summed up, not including his UFC commentary, interviews, stand-up bits, etc.) Chances are, you'd have a YouTube montage of things people could lump together/take out of context. They might not have racial undertones, but I can guarantee there will be something in there someone could be offended over.

Dobber Sports Titan

Well, that's big of you. Most people pretend like they're perfect and haven't said anything that could come back to bite them. As for if it's ok to say in those instances, I'm not qualified to speak on that
    side note - there were a few comedians who made jokes about what it would have been like for DiCaprio in Django and him saying the word. Pretty funny stuff.

People need to put themselves in Rogan's shoes and ask themselves; "If people had over 265,000 MINUTES of audio/video to comb through of my conversations with friends, family, co-workers, etc. How many things could someone pick out and try and cancel me for." (That's just the average podcast summed up, not including his UFC commentary, interviews, stand-up bits, etc.) Chances are, you'd have a YouTube montage of things people could lump together/take out of context. They might not have racial undertones, but I can guarantee there will be something in there someone could be offended over.
    My counter argument is how many times have you emailed the stuff to your customers. He's on the job being paid for his thoughts and communicating them to the public. It's similar to emailing the N word to your boss CCing the customer.

My counter argument is how many times have you emailed the stuff to your customers. He's on the job being paid for his thoughts and communicating them to the public. It's similar to emailing the N word to your boss CCing the customer.
    Echoing this, I’m sure I’ve said lots of stuff that ~could~ get me cancelled. Yet I’ve worked at the same company for 10 years. I’ve done that in part because I haven’t professionally done anything to get me cancelled, including work events where my judgement has been impaired. It’s not that hard to act appropriate to context.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Echoing this, I’m sure I’ve said lots of stuff that ~could~ get me cancelled. Yet I’ve worked at the same company for 10 years. I’ve done that in part because I haven’t professionally done anything to get me cancelled, including work events where my judgement has been impaired. It’s not that hard to act appropriate to context.
    I mean sure, but can we really compare ourselves/work environments to Rogan's? The dude drinks whiskey and smokes weed with his guests. On the job. That alone would get you fired today.

Dobber Sports Titan

I mean sure, but can we really compare ourselves/work environments to Rogan's? The dude drinks whiskey and smokes weed with his guests. On the job. That alone would get you fired today.
    Doesn't give him the green-light to say racist things. I'm 31yrs old, and have 1like 15yrs of drinking under my belt, and I know for a fact I have never said the N word in any context let alone enough times to make a montage of it.

I don't think people realize how deliberate you need to be when you say the N word. People literally say "the N word" instead of the word. Think about that lol. You almost have to go out of your way to say the N word now. He's in the public face, he chooses to drink/smoke weed while on the job. If he says the reason why he's saying the N word because of being intoxicated, maybe he shouldn't be intoxicated at work?

I have regularly drank in a business environment with many senior leaders of my job in a work setting.

As for weed....again, it doesn't really impairment judgement in that way if you don't want it to.

Dobber Sports Genius

I came in here expecting Rogan would be getting lamb basted but this is a really level headed conversation. I have listened to a lot of Rogan, I think he's great. His earlier stuff was better but still some of his new stuff is good as well. I really liked an episode recently with the knees over toes guy, a fitness trainer discussing new methods for training and rehab. Also his earlier stuff that I really liked was the Rhonda Patrick episodes, the David Goggin's episode and Joko Willink ones. None which were political.

Now his new content has changed. It's more covid related and political. However with that being said I would challenge you to look within your own circles over the last two years and see how many times covid or politics have arisen in casual conversation. I think it's more of a product of the pandemic. Other media outlets are milking this content as well.

Finally, the racist allegations. Having listened to hundreds of episodes, and if you look at his public support, he's clearly not racist. If you think he is, I am saying you haven't actually listened to him. The N word compilation, is out of context, even though he should of never said it. The one I find hard to justify is the planet of apes comment. I think honestly he was just trying to be funny, and made a huge gaff. As a society are we not able to forgive past mistakes? I think it's already been pointed out, that like it or not there's levels to these issues. I also think this is being brought up disingenuously because of other issues. Read David Goggins post about it. He thinks it's crap there using the race card to try and cancel him for clearly his other beliefs.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

FWIW, showing someone using the N-word is never "out of context". It's a very easy word to substitute or not say. If you're choosing to say it, the context doesn't matter.