Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan controversy

Dobber Sports Star

Red face Joe Rogan controversy

So the whole thing starts with Neil Young removing his music. Lots of people who don't understand what "freedom of speech" is, cry "freedom of speech".

Spotify backs Rogan. Let's be real, the money is with Rogan, so there is zero chance they side with Young. Young knew that going in...

Now video surfaces many instances of Rogan dropping a word he shouldn't be saying, repeatedly. Spotify quietly removes a bunch of Rogan's podcasts. They definitely changed their stance on Rogan, but say they won't drop him.

It wouldn't surprise me if they removed Rogan altogether. I doubt this thing is over...

Rylant

The Great One

Default Re: Joe Rogan controversy

Neil Young just sold 50% of his music for 150M too.

Here's an article from last month.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...s-55557633.amp

He doesn't really need the money from Spotify does he?

The Great One

I thought I read that the CEO came out and said censoring him is not something he would do. But that was a couple days ago and these guys bullshit all the time so there's that too

Dobber Sports Deity

To be honest, I really havent been paying much attention to this. I do know Joni Mitchell pulled her music from Spotify as well shortly after Young pulled his but other than that, I haven't read much about it.

Hopefully we can keep the politics out of this thread.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

I used to really enjoy listening to Rogan's podcast. He had such a wide range of people on and even though he couldn't stop himself from bringing up his usual topics of choice (MMA, DMT, etc), he did a really good job of getting interesting, varied discussions going with his guests. Somewhere along the line he must have realized that 'outrageous' is much more profitable than just plain 'interesting', and he started getting much more political and controversial to the extent that I don't even consider listening to his podcast anymore.

I did find it strange that they started pulling episodes though. It seems like they don't know where they stand on it just yet.

Dobber Sports Veteran

They stand to make money. He makes them money. Loads of it.

If they move on from him, he'll get his $100M from Rumble instead.

Hercules

Until like Taylor Swift pulls off of Spotify and they lose subscriptions, they won't force Rogan out. They might add in disclaimers for stuff, but that's even a reach I would think with the platform.

Neil Young pulling his songs because of Joe Rogan doesn't do anything for losing subscriptions lol.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Until like Taylor Swift pulls off of Spotify and they lose subscriptions, they won't force Rogan out. They might add in disclaimers for stuff, but that's even a reach I would think with the platform.

Neil Young pulling his songs because of Joe Rogan doesn't do anything for losing subscriptions lol.
    They've already started putting disclaimers

Hercules

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    They've already started putting disclaimers
    Well there ya go, I doubt Spotify does anything on their end more than they have. It'll be if Rogan gets upset and leaves I think.

Maybe I niave tho. Maybe there will be a lot of push on this because Rogan is super polarizing, especially in the states. Maybe they get that push.

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Star

I thought his apology for the use of the N word was a little hollow. He suggested that the tens of different times he used it was taken out if context. I guess it begs the question, is it ever OK for a white person to say that word?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I thought his apology for the use of the N word was a little hollow. He suggested that the tens of different times he used it was taken out if context. I guess it begs the question, is it ever OK for a white person to say that word?

Rylant
    I think it was an honest apology. It was taken out of context in most instances, but the time's he was making a joke and used it is just plain bad. I understand the context he was using it in, but I still don't agree with it. I knew at a very young age not to say it, no matter the circumstance, so for grown adults to still be throwing it around in this day and age is a little ridiculous.

I don't think it should be ok for anyone to say it regardless of race, but obviously I can't speak for the black community. I understand why they want to "own" that word.

Do I think Joe is racist? Not at all. Do I think Joe is an idiot for having used it more than a couple times? Yes.

Hercules

I haven't heard the use of the N word but I would like to say that 99% of the time, it's not acceptable to use that word as a white guy lol. Like it's pretty well known to not use it, let alone on record.

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

The Great One

I'm more curious as to who Young sold 50% of his music to?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I used to really enjoy listening to Rogan's podcast. He had such a wide range of people on and even though he couldn't stop himself from bringing up his usual topics of choice (MMA, DMT, etc), he did a really good job of getting interesting, varied discussions going with his guests. Somewhere along the line he must have realized that 'outrageous' is much more profitable than just plain 'interesting', and he started getting much more political and controversial to the extent that I don't even consider listening to his podcast anymore.

I did find it strange that they started pulling episodes though. It seems like they don't know where they stand on it just yet.
    Agreed. I used to enjoy Rogan. Back when he wasn't such a household name and UFC was still his main thing. Then he got big and became more and more polarizing with his views. Now he's just milking it... I can't stand the guy anymore.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The only thing I could think of with Neil Young is the Ricky Gervais at golden globes, no one cares... R Kelly is still up on Spotify, does that mean he supports him? Just silliness all around.

Has Neil Young ever listened to a Joe Rogan Podcast?

Like most people here, I used to listen to him more, not so much now. I will still listen to his alien guests though, ahah.