Thread: [TRADE] Derek Stepan to Sens

Dobber Sports Monster

Default [TRADE] Derek Stepan to Sens

"The #sens have acquired Derek Stepan from Arizona for a 2021 second-round draft pick."

"Bulk of Stepan’s money this season was paid in signing bonus, leaving $2 million in salary in the final year of his contract."

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: [TRADE] Derek Stepan to Sens

"Hey look, boss, here's a bonafide NHL player who helps us hit cap floor and we owe him less than his cap hit!" - one of the Ottawa GM's favorite phrases.

Honestly, it's good deal for Arizona, as they need picks with their former GM costing them some.

I'm guessing he's a top6 guy in Ottawa, maybe the line 1 center?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Sens are paying Colin White actual money, and how’d that work for them last year? No, seriously - I gotta believe they give White the first shot at C-1, but his leash just got very much shorter.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think that this is a solid trade by both sides. Stepan could be a big fantasy boost for my man Braeden Of course Stepan is not the a ture 1st liner but he is the best center in Ottawa right now. Two way center who should play in every situation. Even if Stepen is not playing on a line with Tkachuk, I think he's a lock to play top 6 mins and there are good enough wings on the team to play with. He is as of right now 285th ranked by yahoo - deep fantasy sleeper for sure.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd say Arizona did pretty well here to get a 2nd for Stepan. Teams knew they wanted to clear money and acquire assets to help their rebuild so to get a pick this high is well done.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Jeez, this sounds crazy to me.
    There are some good players available in early 2nd rounds these days.
    ...For one year of Derek Stepan. Ooof.

Administrator

Arizona should be adding a 2nd to Stepan to get rid of a bad contract. The issue is Melnyk values players differently due to his fixation on money (2M salary vs 6.5M cap hit) and instead of taking advantage of other teams the Sens keep getting burned.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

Allows Sens to be competitive as can be for this year. Lets them keep some of their young guys in AHL for another year and not burn off ELC in a shortened season. Sens future looks brighter 2-3 years down the road. They also going to be in tough Canadian Division where other 6 teams are playoff contenders. They still going to get good pick next year.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Administrator

I'm amazed there's people that actually think this was a good move by the Sens.

This one doesn't pass basic thinking.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'm amazed there's people that actually think this was a good move by the Sens.

This one doesn't pass basic thinking.
    I agree with the bolded, but it also makes sense for the Sens GM, as it passes Melnyk thinking. The pick should've been a third, though.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Expert

I'm surprised I hadn't really seen this brought up but Ottawa doesn't know when to expect him to join the team at this point. He lives in the States with two young children, and a 38-week pregnant wife. Assuming he stays behind for at least the birth plus 2 week quarantine in Ottawa and he'll miss all January as best case scenario.

GARRIOCH: Senators add veteran depth by acquiring Derek Stepan from Arizona Coyotes

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Arizona should be adding a 2nd to Stepan to get rid of a bad contract. The issue is Melnyk values players differently due to his fixation on money (2M salary vs 6.5M cap hit) and instead of taking advantage of other teams the Sens keep getting burned.
    1 year of Stepan for $2 million cash is not a bad contract. And the 4.5 million in dead space is an asset to the Senators.

The Senators are also not just handing jobs to kids. Norris, Brown, Stuetzle will have to earn spots. Also not just handing 1C to White.

I would have preferred a 3rd for Stepan, but meh. The Sens made 3 firsts and 3 seconds last year. And still have all their picks, plus 2nd seconds next year and the year after that.