Thread: Nylander vs Debrincat

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Nylander vs Debrincat

Happy New Year, Everyone!

I would appreciate any opinions on these 2 players, and who would you prefer. I am a Nylander owner and was contemplating a trade offer of Nylander for Debrincat.

Wiliam has been a real hot streak lately, and is now on about a 70 point pace. Is this the real William Nylander? Debrincat (and the whole Blackhawk team, really) have been pretty poor for fantasy value this season. Who would you value you more in a dynasty?

Thanks again for any opinions.
    9 Team Dynasty Pool. 30 Players, 20 Active (12 F, 6 D, 2 G). 10 Reserves. 20 Roster moves allowed per season.
    Forwards Points Only, D Points, Hits, Blocks, Goalies Wins and Shutouts.
    Drop 10 players in the offseason for free agent draft before season.

Forwards: Barzal, Forsberg, Guentzl, Buchnevic, Barkov, W. Nylander, P. Kane, Crosby, Fiala, Zibanejad, Vrana, Zuccarello, Pavelski, Tarasenko, Kreider, B. Schenn
    Defence: Fox, Sergachev, Pietrangelo, Letang, Karlsson, Hamilton, Spurgeon, Sandin, Boqvist, Matheson

Goal: Hellebuyck, Campbell, Skinner, Murray

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Nylander vs Debrincat

I own The Cat and am a Leafs fan. Nylander has taken his game to another level in Keefe's system and playing with Tavares. His compete-level which has always been an issue for him, is the best I've seen it. I was an ardent Never Nylander type a few weeks ago, but he's winning me over with his new found passion. He's on PP1 but Johnsson is still out, but I doubt he gets bumped from the top unit the way he's been playing.

As for The Cat, he's been moved around of late. Was in bottom-6 recently.

He was with Kane and Strome for most of the year and wasn't exactly lighting it up.

I can't believe I'm saying this as I'm not fully sold Nylander has turned the corner for good, but I'd enthusiastically trade DeBrincat for Nylander. Heck, I'm going to pose that one to the Nylander owner who has sent me about 30 trade proposals this year and see what happens.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Stud

As a Debrincat owner, I would agree to a trade to acquire Nylander this year
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Stud

I think it's close, but I'll take DeBrincat. He's due for a big second half

Dobber Sports Monster

I prefer Nylander. I just think he's in a better spot with Keefe shuffling him between Tavares and Matthews until he gets the result he wants. Chicago has some talent but there's just something missing in that lineup.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the replies all. I had pretty much given up on Nylander when he went on a cold spell, but he has really turned it around. At the start of the season, I had hopes of 60 points, then for a while it looked like he would be hard pressed to hit that mark. Now maybe we're seeing the upside.

I am going to try and buy low on Debrincat, just not with Nylander.
    9 Team Dynasty Pool. 30 Players, 20 Active (12 F, 6 D, 2 G). 10 Reserves. 20 Roster moves allowed per season.

Forwards: Barzal, Forsberg, Guentzl, Buchnevic, Barkov, W. Nylander, P. Kane, Crosby, Fiala, Zibanejad, Vrana, Zuccarello, Pavelski, Tarasenko, Kreider, B. Schenn
    Defence: Fox, Sergachev, Pietrangelo, Letang, Karlsson, Hamilton, Spurgeon, Sandin, Boqvist, Matheson

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by buddha71 View Post
    Thanks for the replies all. I had pretty much given up on Nylander when he went on a cold spell, but he has really turned it around. At the start of the season, I had hopes of 60 points, then for a while it looked like he would be hard pressed to hit that mark. Now maybe we're seeing the upside.

I am going to try and buy low on Debrincat, just not with Nylander.
    That's the thing; players go hot and cold. Debrincat has 4pts in his last 3 games, but the previous three games he had zero points. I am a fan of both kids and not sure I see much difference between them in regards to future production. I expect hot and cold streaks for both at varying times. Hell, even Connor MacDavid has hot and cold streaks. You have to look at their overall production instead of spurts.

Debrincat has a 52pt season and a 76pt season for his career to this point. Right now, he's on pace for 58pts.

Nylander has two 61pt seasons. Last year he only played in 54games and had 27pts. That equals out to 41pts over 82 games. Right now he's on pace for 70pts.

Long story short, I'd try and buy low on Debrincat as well. I also agree that I'd try someone different than Nylander in your attempts. That being said, a lot will depend on how smart the Debrincat owner is. I find it damn near impossible to EVER buy low on younger kids with high offensive upside. The GMs in my leagues don't fall for that unfortunately. Maybe your league is different. I just know if I owned Debrincat, if you want him, you're paying market value for him, not below market value. That would mean I'd be wanting someone like Nylander for him, or someone of that value.

It's worth a shot. All depends on the Debrincat owner and if he's got a clue or not.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

I wouldn’t trade Nylander for Debrincat. I agree with others that it is close and production will be comparable. Nylander is in the better spot and will likely be playing with either Tavares or Matthews. On the other hand, Kane is the only elite talent in Chicago for Debrincat to play with and they are often split up for defensive purposes. And just from the eye test alone, I want Nylander. I watch the majority of all Hawks and Leaf games (I actually enjoy Leaf games much more since Babcock was fired) and Nylander just oozes talent and athleticism. Debrincat has a very high hockey IQ and his production sneaks up on you while Nylander is very obvious on the ice. As a fan, I much prefer to watch Nylander. Good luck with your decision.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ace

If goals are worth more I like DeBrincat by a decent margin in a dynasty league. If not, I’d stick with Nylander.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Here's what the radio voice of the Leafs thinks about Nylander. These mirror my own thoughts to a "T" save for the fact he's been much better in those areas since he's been with JT and Bowen was wrong to not acknowledge that.
    https://twitter.com/FAN590/status/12...731668480?s=20
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by zambronies View Post
    If goals are worth more I like DeBrincat by a decent margin in a dynasty league. If not, I’d stick with Nylander.
    Thanks for the reply, zambronies. In my pool, for forwards, a point is a point, so I'm sticking with Nylander.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by DzingelBarries View Post
    Here's what the radio voice of the Leafs thinks about Nylander. These mirror my own thoughts to a "T" save for the fact he's been much better in those areas since he's been with JT and Bowen was wrong to not acknowledge that.
    https://twitter.com/FAN590/status/12...731668480?s=20
    Thanks for posting this, DzingelBarries! Great handle,btw.