Thread: Salary Cap: Hedman vs Q. Hughes

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Salary Cap: Hedman vs Q. Hughes

For league in sig.

Looking to shed some cap space for the draft.
    Was thinking of trading Hedman for his Q. Hughes.

I suspect a one vs one probably won’t cut it so will probably have to give away a pick as well.
    I should be in contention this year hence why it’s difficult to trade away Hedman but figured Hughes won’t be too too far away in terms of fantasy points at a $6.9M discount.

What do you guys think?
    Think a mid rd pick would cut it?
    Salary Cap Keeper League #1
    12 teams, 21 players (12F, 4D, 2G, 3B) 10 Keepers/team
    G A PPP SHP GWG PIMS HITS SOG ... W SO

F: Crosby (8.7) Barkov (5.9) Stamkos (8.5) Marner (10.9M) Wheeler (8.3)
    Tolvanen (1.5) Arvidsson (4.2) Hoffman (4.5) McCann (2.9)
    D: Hedman (7.8)
    G: Demko (5.0) Hart (3.9)

Big Daddy

Default Re: Salary Cap: Hedman vs Q. Hughes

There are only a few D-man in Tier 1 in regards to fantasy - Burns, Karlsson & Hedman.

You own one of them and plan to compete for a championship but you are willing to trade Hedman away with an attached draft pick for an unproven player. Doesn’t make any sense to me, salary cap league or not. Keep Hedman and shed salary elsewhere.

The Great One

Hedman at 7.8 will contribute to 8 categories, Bobrovsky at 10 will contribute to two categories (and let's face it, shut outs are a stupid category and totally random). Have you considered trying to shed salary by trading Bob instead?

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Patry88 View Post
    I should be in contention this year hence why it’s difficult to trade away Hedman but figured Hughes won’t be too too far away in terms of fantasy points at a $6.9M discount.
    Q. Hughes is going to be light-years behind Hedman in fantasy points this year, or at least that is what I think. It is tough to ask a 5'10, 175lb 19/20-year old rookie to walk into the NHL and put up better numbers than elite-fantasy-stud Hedman.

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    There are only a few D-man in Tier 1 in regards to fantasy - Burns, Karlsson & Hedman. You own one of them and plan to compete for a championship but you are willing to trade Hedman away with an attached draft pick for an unproven player. Doesn’t make any sense to me, salary cap league or not. Keep Hedman and shed salary elsewhere.
    Hedman + pick for Quinn Hughes is a move made by a GM who is over-thinking in August. In theory (perfect world) I can see the logic -- move on from Hedman and his salary while trading for his replacement, however, it is guys like Hedman that win you hockey leagues. It is more likely to see Hughes get 30 points this year with few peripherals than it is to see Hughes start his career with a season comparable to Shane Gostisbehere circa 2017/18 (13G, 52A, 31PPP, 221SOG, with limited HITS and PIMS).

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Hedman at 7.8 will contribute to 8 categories, Bobrovsky at 10 will contribute to two categories (and let's face it, shut outs are a stupid category and totally random). Have you considered trying to shed salary by trading Bob instead?
    It is like we share a brain sometimes Al. SHARE. A. BRAIN
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Jedi

this is a rebuilding deal... not a competing type deal.

Find a way to shed salary elsewhere. Find a team desperate for a goalie - make a 2-1 or something where you take 2 5m players back - one being a goalie.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Hughes is very likely to be very far behind. Pencil in Hughes for Dahlin's year last year, then halve it. Compare it to what you project for Hedman. I think you'll rethink that.

You have 2 golaie stats which are very team dependent, and nothing really individual. Bobrovsky is a future Hall of Famer, but he's not Hasek. You want cheap goalies.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with all the comments above re Hedman and Bobrovsky.
    I did shop Bobrov a lot with no luck (so far).

That said, I’m hesitant to trade either since next year, we’ve decided to increase the cap to reflect 110% of the actual nhl cap. That will roughly give us an extra $8.2M (if cap stays the same) to play with.

I have to decide if I just go into the draft with my remaining cap space (approx. $18M for 8 active and 2 bench) and pick guys in the $2M dollar range (e.g. Bertuzzi, Pullock, Coleman, Bjorkstrand, etc.) or continue trying to trade away my bigger contracts (Bobrov, Marner, Stamkos, Hedman). I just don’t think the return will be high enough for these proven guys.
    Salary Cap Keeper League #1
    12 teams, 21 players (12F, 4D, 2G, 3B) 10 Keepers/team
    G A PPP SHP GWG PIMS HITS SOG ... W SO

F: Crosby (8.7) Barkov (5.9) Stamkos (8.5) Marner (10.9M) Wheeler (8.3)
    Tolvanen (1.5) Arvidsson (4.2) Hoffman (4.5) McCann (2.9)
    D: Hedman (7.8)
    G: Demko (5.0) Hart (3.9)