Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: William Nylander contract situation

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: William Nylander contract situation

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Oh yeah, and there was a little thing called an offer sheet from the flames too.
    But yeah, apples to apples. Hahaha
    it was the offer sheet that ended the hold out. Not Colorado and ROR actually coming to mutual terms... kinda brings it closer to Nylander & Toronto...
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Guru

For anyone who may have forgotten, the NHL was in a little thing called a lockout when OReilly went to the KHL.

But yeah, sure, "pretty close to identical" "apples to apples" etc. Whatever you say.
    He still missed seven weeks of the NHL season before coming to a deal. All you asked for was for us to come up with players who had a holdout and did well in their deals. It sounds like O'Reilly meets your criteria.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Relax Gilmour! Comparables found.

Now let's go back to how the Canes are gonna land Nylander with Pesce and McElhinney. Hoo boy

It will be a fun 15 days! I personally think Willie is going to hold out the year, and Dubas' constantly revered image is besmirched.
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'm not sure why I haven't thought of this before. It does nothing to fill Tor's holes on D.. buuuuuuut...

How about a Stone - Nylander 1-1 deal. Stone's gone. No one doubts that - Nylander's a beauty return (he can fight to get paid there - serves him right if we hit Dec 1)

And just out of spite - Stone takes a team friendly deal to the irk of everything Senators.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lol. O’Reilly is literally an exact comparable.

Dobber Sports Guru

And btw I asked for examples "in Willie's situation who out negotiated the teams."
    Predictably, nobody has produced any.
    Not real ones.
    That's what O'Reilly did. He went to Calgary to sign a deal to get exactly what he wanted. That's the perfect example where a player "out negotiated" a team.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Jedi

without being privy to the actual negotiation talks. No one can say if anyone out negotiated anyone. Well... except willie. He’s not negotiating at all. His agent is.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Ryan Johansen pops to mind. Columbus offered him $6 million over two years. RyJo wanted $13 million over two years. He eventually got $12 million over three years, with the last year at $6 million.

Ken Dryden was technically a holdout in the early 1970s.

Ryan O'Reilly has been mentioned in this thread already, but bears repeating.

Gaudreau only missed a couple of games, but got what he wanted.

Lindros is probably the most well known example. He technically held out after being drafted by Quebec, and got exactly what he wanted.
    For arguments sake with reference to these Comparables...

According to those numbers RJ signed a deal that is a classic negotiating tactic. One side is a little high, the other is a little low, meet in the middle. Toronto and Nylander are MUCH farther apart in their apparent offers.

Don't know much about the Dryden thing, back then teams were the mafia though.

O'Reilly was only signed because Feaster and his staff didn't realize he'd have to clear waivers to join the club since he was on a KHL contract. They screwed up and in the end it did help no one but O'Reilly. Nylander doesn't have that KHL/pro contract as an issue and still there is no-one giving him an offer sheet he's willing to sign so it is a very relevant difference.

Gaudreau definitely signed for far less than he was asking for. He was asking around $8 mill and settled at $6.75. He's a more productive player and a comparable to drive the cost down.

Lindros didn't hold out for money, but to not play for the Nordiques who did just fine as the AVs. Not the same.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Master

I have a feeling once he realizes the leafs arent trading him he signs a short term deal at the 11th hour of which theres probably a variety to choose from that dubas laid out .

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    For arguments sake with reference to these Comparables...

According to those numbers RJ signed a deal that is a classic negotiating tactic. One side is a little high, the other is a little low, meet in the middle. Toronto and Nylander are MUCH farther apart in their apparent offers.

Don't know much about the Dryden thing, back then teams were the mafia though.

O'Reilly was only signed because Feaster and his staff didn't realize he'd have to clear waivers to join the club since he was on a KHL contract. They screwed up and in the end it did help no one but O'Reilly. Nylander doesn't have that KHL/pro contract as an issue and still there is no-one giving him an offer sheet he's willing to sign so it is a very relevant difference.

Gaudreau definitely signed for far less than he was asking for. He was asking around $8 mill and settled at $6.75. He's a more productive player and a comparable to drive the cost down.

Lindros didn't hold out for money, but to not play for the Nordiques who did just fine as the AVs. Not the same.
    Remember, the original question asked about players who had out negotiated their teams, or got what they want. Lindros, RyJo, O'Reilly and Dryden all meet that criteria (I thought Gaudreau was asking for around $7 million at the time, which is why I included him). It doesn't matter if it is comparable to Nylander. That wasn't the original question.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This implies it's only on the player to find the middle ground, saying Dubas is offering a middle ground and Nylander isn't accepting it. We don't know that.
    When it's an RFA on their first deal of their ELC, the player really has no leverage, Dubas shouldn't have to meet in the middle ground unless he was offering something stupid (3mill). If reports are right, that 6.5mill or whatever is apparently being offered, is a good deal for a 60-70pt forward.

Anyone see Micheal Nylander's contract history in his career? I could be incorrect, but doesn't it look like a mercenary's contract history?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    When it's an RFA on their first deal of their ELC, the player really has no leverage, Dubas shouldn't have to meet in the middle ground unless he was offering something stupid (3mill). If reports are right, that 6.5mill or whatever is apparently being offered, is a good deal for a 60-70pt forward.

Anyone see Micheal Nylander's contract history in his career? I could be incorrect, but doesn't it look like a mercenary's contract history?
    If yes, why is that a bad thing?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If yes, why is that a bad thing?
    It's not a bad thing, it's a character trait (might be a bad term to use here). If his dad is the one influencing him, which is understandable, it's a family member who's been in the NHL before he gets it, it's a trait that you can use to help understand the situation.

I just hate how this is all so "ifs" and "whats". Honestly if you chase money, all the power to you, go maximize your contract and you do you. This might be Nylander, we don't know. Maybe he just wants out. Maybe he want's the money and that's it.

Personally I'd take a 1mill contract to stick with the intangibles that the mega-money teams like Toronto would have. But you take that paycut and then get traded 2 yrs later to Arizona and have to pay for the pop in the pop machines, so I get what Nylander is doing.

I am not faulting Nylander or Dubas, each are doing what, in their heads, are best for them. IF Nylander is chasing money, I wonder what his contract length will be. IF he just wants out of Toronto, I wonder what his contract with the new team even will be.

Honestly I want this situation to end just so we stop all this speculation. I've been terrible at the speculation I'll 100% admit that and I just want it done lol.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It's not a bad thing, it's a character trait (might be a bad term to use here). If his dad is the one influencing him, which is understandable, it's a family member who's been in the NHL before he gets it, it's a trait that you can use to help understand the situation.

I just hate how this is all so "ifs" and "whats". Honestly if you chase money, all the power to you, go maximize your contract and you do you. This might be Nylander, we don't know. Maybe he just wants out. Maybe he want's the money and that's it.

Personally I'd take a 1mill contract to stick with the intangibles that the mega-money teams like Toronto would have. But you take that paycut and then get traded 2 yrs later to Arizona and have to pay for the pop in the pop machines, so I get what Nylander is doing.

I am not faulting Nylander or Dubas, each are doing what, in their heads, are best for them. IF Nylander is chasing money, I wonder what his contract length will be. IF he just wants out of Toronto, I wonder what his contract with the new team even will be.

Honestly I want this situation to end just so we stop all this speculation. I've been terrible at the speculation I'll 100% admit that and I just want it done lol.
    I think most people want it done. The only enjoyable part about this is seeing a wrench thrown into the master plan that would have brought 10 Stanley Cups to Toronto

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I think most people want it done. The only enjoyable part about this is seeing a wrench thrown into the master plan that would have brought 10 Stanley Cups to Toronto
    I knew going into the season, it was prolly better for the team to trade Nylander for defensive help, but I wanted Nylander on the Leafs this yr to see that offense and powerplay with him. But yeah this throws an initial wrench into it, but the emergence of Kapanen helps ease that pain.

Nylander, 2 weeks, just do something.