Thread: Took over this team in a H2H Roto Dynasty league. Would love some feedback

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Took over this team in a H2H Roto Dynasty league. Would love some feedback

I just took over a team in a dynasty cap league, and it's my first time playing in a roto-style hockey league. I'm looking for any and all advice on the roster that you guys want to give me.

It's 12 teams, weekly head-to-head with daily starts. Active Lineup is 12 F, 6D, 2 G. There are 2 Reserve spots, 53 "Minors" spots, for a total of 75 normal roster spots, plus 5 IR spots. Any player can sit in the minors, but there is a waiver system in season for moving players up & down who make over $2 million.

The salary cap is $119.25 million, and only counts for active & reserve players, so it seems like it's not very limiting.

Goalie categories (4) are: Wins, SV%, GAA, Shutouts. Minimum of 3 games played per week for goalie stats to count.
    Skater categories (6) are: Goals, Assists, Points, PIM, SOG, and (Hits+Blocks).
    BOLD are projected Active & Reserve players

Defensemen (21):
    Edler, Alexander VAN
    Letang, Kris PIT
    Lindell, Esa DAL
    Lindholm, Hampus ANA
    Phaneuf, Dion LA
    Provorov, Ivan PHI

Bean, Jake CAR
    Biega, Alex VAN
    Borgman, Andreas TOR
    Ceci, Cody OTT
    DeKeyser, Danny DET
    Dermott, Travis TOR
    Hronek, Filip DET
    Kulikov, Dmitry WPG
    Martinez, Alec LA
    McCabe, Jake BUF
    Nielsen, Andrew TOR
    Rasanen, Ville CAR
    Siemens, Duncan (N/A)
    Stone, Michael CGY
    Stralman, Anton TB

Forwards (38):
    Athanasiou, Andreas DET
    Beauvillier, Anthony NYI
    Boeser, Brock VAN
    Coyle, Charlie MIN
    Danault, Phillip MON
    DeBrusk, Jake BOS
    Duchene, Matt OTT
    Eller, Lars WSH
    Forsberg, Filip NSH
    Grabner, Michael ARI
    Hornqvist, Patric PIT
    Jenner, Boone CBJ
    Kopitar, Anze LA
    Matthews, Auston TOR

Anisimov, Artem CHI
    Asplund, Rasmus BUF
    Bleackley, Conner STL
    Brickley, Connor NSH
    Brouwer, Troy FLA
    Eaves, Patrick ANA
    Gaunce, Brendan VAN
    Gauthier, Frederik TOR
    Hartnell, Scott (N/A)
    Hodgson, Cody NSH
    Howden, Brett NYR
    Lehkonen, Artturi MON
    MacInnis, Ryan CBJ
    Martin, Matt NYI
    Nastasiuk, Zach (N/A)
    Plekanec, Tomas MON
    Quenneville, John NJ
    Ritchie, Brett DAL
    Shaw, Mason MIN
    Sheahan, Riley PIT
    Shumakov, Sergei WSH
    Sobotka, Vladimir BUF
    Sundqvist, Oskar STL
    Svechnikov, Evgeny DET

Goalies (12):
    Murray, Matt PIT
    Neuvirth, Michal PHI

Lyon, Alex PHI
    Merzlikins, Elvis CBJ
    Nilsson, Anders VAN
    Pavelec, Ondrej (N/A)
    Shesterkin, Igor NYR
    Sparks, Garret TOR
    Stalock, Alex MIN
    Tokarski, Dustin NYR
    Tomek, Matej PHI
    Ustimenko, Kirill PHI

7 total draft picks owned in the 5 round entry draft this year: 1.05, 1.09, 2.05, 3.05, 4.05, 4.08, 5.05.

21 + 38 + 12 = 71 currenly rostered players. I need to cut 4 more guys to use all my draft picks. I have a couple obvious options, but I already dumped the true deadweight off, and picked up off waivers: Lyon, Nilsson, Stalock, Borgman, and Shumakov.

I know it's very long, but thanks for reading.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Default Re: Took over this team in a H2H Roto Dynasty league. Would love some feedback

Now that the wall of information text is out of the way, I figured I'd post a couple things for easier quoting.

1. Am I wrong in thinking that the cap is not a big deal in this league? Everyone has at least $5 Million in cap room, and 3 of us have over $30 million.

2. Is the team overloaded at any one position? It seems like there are a lot of defenders & goalies. Admittedly, I've been adding to the goalie depth since I took over.

3. Goaltending is an issue. It's now much improved by adding Lyon & Stalock from waivers, but it's a far cry from being decent.

4. I expect to cut 5 more guys from this roster. A few are obvious to me, but the last couple may be tough to suss out.

Any questions, fire away, and thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Took over this team in a H2H Roto Dynasty league. Would love some feedback

Can you maybe boldface your projected starters? Would make a little easier. I’m not in a dynasty league so there are a lot of names I don’t recognize. Nice grab on Shumakov! He could be a major steal. Having 4 Philly goalies is a little much but grabbing Lyon was a good idea too. Sometimes it’s harder taking over a team but sometimes it’s more fun! Good luck this season!

Dobber Sports Stud

Cody Hodgson, Zach Nastasiuk, David Honzik, Elvis Merzlikins, & Kirill Ustimenko jump out at me followed by your N/A's (Siemens, Hartnell, Pavelec). Those seem like no-brainers.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Now that the wall of information text is out of the way, I figured I'd post a couple things for easier quoting.

1. Am I wrong in thinking that the cap is not a big deal in this league? Everyone has at least $5 Million in cap room, and 3 of us have over $30 million You are correct... the cap is significantly higher than the actual NHL salary cap, you roster is smaller than an actual NHL roster, and there is less than 12 teams in the league as compared to 31 in the NHL. There should be sufficient cap for you to always sign your top guys and roster the best players.

2. Is the team overloaded at any one position? It seems like there are a lot of defenders & goalies. Admittedly, I've been adding to the goalie depth since I took over In a 12 team league there is no way I would roster goalie prospects that are not really good prospects at least. I would get rid of Pavalec, Simpson and Honzik. I would rather have more D and Forward prospects than that many goalie prospects.

3. Goaltending is an issue. It's now much improved by adding Lyon & Stalock from waivers, but it's a far cry from being decent. Yes, you are very right in this. And it is probably impossible to add a goalie in this league without overpaying. That is probably why the previous owner had a tonne of 'low-chance' goalie prospects

4. I expect to cut 5 more guys from this roster. A few are obvious to me, but the last couple may be tough to suss out. The three goalies I mentioned. Some other names Bleackley, Nastasiuk, Shaw and Siemens

Any questions, fire away, and thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Answers above

Boldface now implemented for starters/reserves. Thanks for the suggestion, I should've thought of it.

I agree on carrying fewer goalies, and was likely cutting Honzik & Simpson before the draft, but did so today. Added Anders Nilsson, who at least has a chance at stats this year. Keeping Pavelec until the draft, I think - any free shot I have at a NHL goalie I think need to take.