Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Removed (OP's Request)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Quit my league over this BS? opinions needed REP

Ya, I would be talking to them about it and explicitly stating it's not right, and if that's how the league is going to be run, I'm not going to play in it; there's a lot of money at stake and it's not worth ruining friendships over. No need to be confrontational or mean, just businesslike, straight and to the point. Make your position very clear and I would be stating that if anything like this happens again, I'm out.

Although I don't think I'd want to be in a money league where there's someone not setting their roster either. He could come on and willy nilly set it whenever he wants. Offsets the competitive balance.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    First thing I would do is talk directly to the league manager and his wife. Find out exactly what happened and who set the absent GM's roster and why. I would be tactful about it. If she actually did what you claim they should both realize quite easily that she was in the wrong. Perhaps from there you can sort things out amicably. People make mistakes. If she admits to making a mistake and tries to correct it, everybody wins. If she and the league manager do not agree that this action was unjust, perhaps it is time to move on from this "friendship", because what was done was obviously not fair or sportsmanlike conduct.
    Couldn't agree with this more. It could be that the commish's wife is a scamming two-timer who did everything in her power to cheat to win. It could be she was naïve to how her actions were unfair. I would calmly as possible ask why the managers team was suddenly updated, by whom and why. If she does indeed admit to doing it I would lay out why it was unfair for her to take such actions. If she is apologetic and you believe it was an innocent mistake perhaps it can be water under the bridge. If you think she knew what she was doing and try to screw you then perhaps you need to move on to a new league in the offseason.

Either way given your impending wedding try and be tactful and avoid losing one or more friendships over this matter.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Either this woman is batsh*t crazy or your buddy is a pu**y and is hiding behind his wife.
    Or they're just cheating? It's not uncommon in fantasy. One of my longstanding keeper leagues is plagued by a cheating commissioner. The problem is half the league is in his pocket so nobody cares. I'd leave but my team is stacked and it's hard to give up because of wrongdoings by someone else.

You always have to take the "lesser of two evils" route and usually that's staying in the league and doing what you can to bring up the fair play. Make everyone aware of what this lady and her husband did.

Dobber Sports Master

This can't be easy on you as we are talking about people you know and seem to care about.
    Despite having made the playoffs, this would be the last year I would be in this league, and I would not return. I would privately tell the Comish and his wife why you are leaving, and explain to them that it's too bad it come to this but that is collusion; fantasy sports biggest no-no. I'd also leave them the responsibility to explain your departure to the other GMs so that maybe they will do the right thing and tell the truth. And even if they don't, you should care too much what gets said anyways unless somehow they make it look like you did something wrong. If, big if, that happens then I would email your fellow GMs this thread with the dates clearly highlighted.
    All in all, let's hope it doesn't go down that road, and that you can all remain friends as it seems like that is something you still want to do.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PatyOFurniture View Post
    Hey all, i'm in a one year 12 team league with a bunch of close friends. We've done it for about 5 years now and there is a $1000 payout for first place in the playoffs.

league comish, his wife (her first year playing) and his 2 brothers are in the league, and we are in a dog fight for the final playoff spot (playoffs start tomorrow) the loser out of the 5 of us does not get into the playoffs.

i'm playing an absent GM this week that has not put his team in in months and everyone else has collected their easy W's against him the past couple months including league manager's wife who a couple weeks ago,, would have had a pretty close week if the absent GM put his team in/ was active and picked up players.

So low and behold me and the absent GM are tied leading into today, he hasn't put his team in all week (there are daily roster edits) but he still managed to get points from the few that are in, and my team has dropped a deuce this week.

I checked his team this morning and for the first time in months his full team is active!

I did some poking around by talking to the absent GM and he said the league managers wife went onto the managers console and put his team in for him. He has the ability to put his team in but he has given up and is tanking for a better pick next year.

only a couple points separate me and the absent GM, and he has a couple players in tonight so I could still lose and be knocked out of the playoffs and a chance at the $1000.

time to quit this league? change my team name to shenanigans, drop all of my top players and let the comish and his wife sort out the mess? or just sit on my hands.
    fun fact: the comish and his wife are in my wedding party in a few months lol.. i'm pretty choked over all this. I enjoy fantasy hockey a lot, just sucks when this shit happens.
    I don't think we are getting the full story here. Just from your one post it seems like you're not actually telling the truth.

First you say:
    i'm playing an absent GM this week that has not put his team in in months and everyone else has collected their easy W's against him the past couple months
    then you say....
    He has the ability to put his team in but he has given up and is tanking for a better pick next year.
    So you're saying he has given up months ago while still being in a playoff spot? That sounds like total bullshit. And that GM should be punished for not putting in an active lineup to begin with.

Im not saying what she did was right, It was the wrong thing to do for sure, but that isn't the biggest problem in this league.

Sometimes people realize that a rule needs tweaking ONLY when it affects their team/situation. The rule that needs tweaking is what to do with an inactive GM. She realized it when it came down to the wire. She didn't tweak it or address it properly though.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I have 2 thoughts...

1. Active = Fun & Competition. I hate tanking. There should be discussions with the Commish/league regarding that.
    2. I would first speak to the Commish regarding who updated the roster and if it was the other team - that's a. cheating; b. stepping beyond the bounds of an owners right.
    - regardless of winning that week, that team should forfeit the week. If there is denial or a BS answer in response to your complaint, I would ask to put this to the league and have a vote to determine what do to (take draft picks, warning, remove the owner etc).

looks like Karma ended up on your side though
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

go out and rent a totally different syle tuxedo from the rest of the wedding party

Dobber Sports Padawan

It's not fair, no, but really they're doing something that should have been done a long time ago. I don't know the people involved, but I think it's a commish's job to make sure no one tanks by not setting rosters all year. That's being a bad GM. Lose by all means, but do it cleanly. It's really crappy to miss the playoffs because someone decided to gift wins to others.

The timing of this is bad, though, and I have to wonder if they just never really noticed the extent of the tank job because it wasn't previously important matchups in the midst of a playoff race. So I agree, you need to talk to them before freaking out. But if they're cheating? Not OK.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Veteran

Nobody should be setting line ups for an inactive GM. Period. The rest is drama.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I have no issue with a commish setting rosters for an inactive GM, as long as its understood that's what happens. Inactive GMs are literally the worst because their BS can screw it up for people that ARE trying. This was not the agreed-on recourse for being inactive, and it was potentially done by someone who was not supposed to do it. So yeah, you're owed a sorry, and maybe buddy's wife should not be allowed in the league next year or something if it was her.

Anyways, this is a friggin hockey pool vs your friends that you like enough to have in your wedding party. Is it worth blowing up and potentially losing them over the $100 bucks or whatever it cost you to play this year? Thankfully there were no repercussions anyway. Talk to your buddy and his wife, tell them that was not cool, that should be the end of it. It's just a stupid fun thing you guys are doing and it shouldn't mess up your relationship.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I don't think we are getting the full story here. Just from your one post it seems like you're not actually telling the truth.

First you say:

then you say....

So you're saying he has given up months ago while still being in a playoff spot? That sounds like total bullshit. And that GM should be punished for not putting in an active lineup to begin with.

Im not saying what she did was right, It was the wrong thing to do for sure, but that isn't the biggest problem in this league.

Sometimes people realize that a rule needs tweaking ONLY when it affects their team/situation. The rule that needs tweaking is what to do with an inactive GM. She realized it when it came down to the wire. She didn't tweak it or address it properly though.
    some clarity is needed here: its a 12 team league where the top 8 make the playoffs. absent GM was in 12th spot, the 5 of us were battling for spots 4-9, it was all very close and took until the games finished sunday to get the playoff matches set.

I agree the rest is drama, i'm sorry, money got in the way.

I asked the comish who put in the absent GM's team, he says they contacted the absent GM told him how close it was, and apparently got his password and login to put his team in for him. (the absent GM has a smart phone, internet etc...)
    I still think theres some ****ery afoot and I pointed out the convenient timing for this to take place on the last day of the season after everyone else got easy W's the past months. But hey, because of everyone's input here, I didnt lose my mind, learned some valuable lessons about fantasy sports and agree that moving on from this league is probably for the better. Friendships before money and water under the bridge, right guys?
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

You made it in to playoffs. She did not. All is well and as it should be.

Personally, I wouldn't say a word. Just let it go. I wouldn't talk to them or anyone else about it. Ever. No sense fighting with close friends about fantasy hockey and money. Nothing good is going to come out of bringing this up.

I would however, step away from this league after the season has played itself out. No drama. Just say you are not into doing it again next year.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Grand Master

My response to this is based on which scenario is true. FWIW, IMO the person's relationship with the LM is irrelevant (this case being his wife).

Scenario 1: League member convinces inactive to GM to set his lineup, or gets permission from inactive GM to set his lineup.

I don't see any problems with this. That's just being competitive in fantasy hockey. It's just as much your bad for convincing the inactive GM to not do this sooner, OR convincing him that he shouldn't set his lineup. Fantasy hockey is about fun, and friends, but it's also about winning. Active GM was just doing everything in her power to win.

Scenario 2: League member gets commissioner to set inactive GMs lineup without any knowledge of the inactive GM.

This is wrong/bullshit/garbage. I wouldn't leave the league, I would just tell the commissioner to revers the changes if it impacted my matchup.

Either way, I wouldn't be that outraged.

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm just curious if the wife didn't consider this cheating if she did it without anyone's permission. We all do because we've been playing fantasy hockey for years. But someone in their first year might not realize what they are doing is that wrong. She just might consider smart playing.

Also, if she talked to the absent GM and got his permission to set his lineup for him, is that cheating? Or is it a shrewd move to make the playoffs? Seriously. She saw a way that she could make the playoffs, and convinced another GM that she could set his lineup for him with his permission. If that part is true, that she had his permission to set his lineup, I don't think it's that bad. It sucks to be the original poster, but it was pretty smart on her part to take advantage of the situation.

If she did it without the guy's permission, then it's cheating.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Nobody should be setting line ups for an inactive GM. Period. The rest is drama.
    I believe that the opposite is true. If someone had been setting the absent GMs lineup consistently whenever he checked out, then there wouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

RETIRED