Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seriously? Another NFL player charged for Domestic Violence

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Seriously? Another NFL player charged for Domestic Violence

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    It matters if/when sponsors start walking away because they don't want their brand associated with the NFL's image. That's why companies like Anheuser-Busch, Visa, Pepsi, Campbell's, etc speaking out about their unhappiness with the current state of affairs mattered. And, in all likelihood, that's why the whole Commissioner's list thing to get guys like AP, Hardy and whomever else off the field and out of the limelight a bit (while still getting paid in AP's case, most likely to placate the NFLPA) suddenly emerged as an option about 24 hours later -- whereas teams seemed unaware before that it would apply in these types of situations.

The league and league owners are making these things up as they go along and reconsidering decisions that they already claimed to have thought long and hard on because revenue is suddenly threatened.
    It hasn't happened yet and the NFL has seen every kind of scandal you can imagine. The sponsors know that the NFL gets more eyes than pretty much anything else they can do, so for the most part it's all talk.

Dobber Sports Deity

Jaysus! What's wrong with these people?

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/512657362318946304

Police report says Cardinals RB Jonathan Dwyer head-butted his wife, broke her nose. and struck his son. » http://es.pn/1BQrXMB
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm going to go the other way on this one. I think injuries go down (though maybe not initially) because of the HGH testing. If you ask me it's the HGH that's bulking these guys up to the point where every collision on the field is equivalent to that of a motor vehicle accident. Smaller players means smaller impacts, which hopefully leads to fewer injuries. I'm also going to theorize that the number of torn muscles goes down as well. Right now these guys are swollen up with cattle-sized muscles. Maybe if they were less ballooned they wouldn't tear so damned much.
    Actually you are correct re the injuries part of that comment.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    It hasn't happened yet and the NFL has seen every kind of scandal you can imagine. The sponsors know that the NFL gets more eyes than pretty much anything else they can do, so for the most part it's all talk.
    True that, but slowly fans and non-fans are getting tired of the bullshit. They are letting their voices be heard to both the league and sponsors. The NFL has managed to whistle past the graveyard in regards to the thug culture of the players that has been building for years. Ray Rice, and the way that Goodell bungled that situation, was the tipping point. Now people are letting the anger over this be known and the sponsors are nervous because people can vote with their wallets.

The sponsors are walking a tight rope, and that rope is the cash cow called the NFL, but on either side is a steep drop that is people who are fed up with this crap and see these sponsors as enablers. They want the money but do they want to risk blowback from their customers? For the sponsors I guess it all comes down to how much of their individual consumer bases they think are made up of neanderthal, knuckledragging, mouth-breathing cretins who think shit like beating women and kids is perfectly acceptable as to whether or not they will take a stand and call out Goodell and the league. As much as the sponsors need the money from the league, the NFL needs their money too.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Agreed. I almost gave up on the NFL a couple of years ago because of how ugly they were in the face of undeniable evidence that their sport was ruining lives through concussions. Obviously I caved and stuck with it. I'm sticking with it here too.
    As long as the players know the risks, I have no qualms with watching them ruin their brains for our entertainment. They are paid incredibly well and most have no other alternative for such a fine life. Needless to say, my son won't be playing football.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    As long as the players know the risks, I have no qualms with watching them ruin their brains for our entertainment. They are paid incredibly well and most have no other alternative for such a fine life. Needless to say, my son won't be playing football.
    Yeah, I think players now know the risks and to a certain extent they did before but I was more disgusted with the out and out lying the NFL did trying to cover up concussions. They were exactly like the tobacco companies trying to disprove the link between smoking and cancer/lung problems, even down to hiring backwards ass doctors who'd say anything as long as they were getting cheques. Really crooked, evil stuff. But again, I caved. Football is too fun. The gladiators of our time.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

@SmittysRant