Page 20 of 241 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: I need a new show...

Is anybody still watching Legends? I wrote it off after 3 or 4 episodes... Just wondering if it has managed to turn it around.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Also, has anybody watched HBO's The Leftovers? It has an interesting premise. In the show, 3 years ago, there was a global event which people call "The Departure" which in one day, at one moment, 2 percent of the world's population just disappeared off the Earth. Now, that's 140 million people. Three years later, people are trying to cope with or explain the event.

I think it's a cool idea; no doubt the religious fanatics of the world would eat this stuff up if something like this really happened. I am just not sure that this could have the legs to maintain a series for years and year. If anybody has watched it, I would love to hear what they think of it.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm actually arguing the opposite of what you are. I like when my shows use the format to tell bigger stories over multiple episodes. I don't need everything to be contained in one episode like these "mystery/monster/killer of the week type shows". They are so overdone. If I want that I'll watch CBS because they've got that formula figured out to a T with their 800 different versions of CSI, NCIS and IDGAS.

You can tell that Gotham wants to tell a bigger story but it is way too focused on having stand alone episodes that have a new mystery for the cops to solve. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it is after all the story of detective James Gordon that's being told here. Seeing as he's a detective it's quite simply a detective show.

I'm not averse to shows that have stand alone episodes but I don't think they need to have a resolution to a new criminal each week for them to stand alone. I think that with skilled enough writing you can tell longer story arcs and really evolve characters.

I shouldn't necessarily use Gotham's format against it. Just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it can't work. There is obviously a market for this kind of show.

My preference is for shows like 24 and LOST that tell greater stories. Sure, they had no idea where they were headed. I think that the plane explosion in like episode eight of the first season of 24 was initially intended to be the season finale but they realized quickly that they'd be loading up on so much filler to drag it out that they'd be wasting everyone's time. But that's good writing! You shouldn't be generating filler, you should be telling meaningful stories. But the big reason that these shows worked where the shows that have attempted to emulate them have failed is that they mistook the forest for the trees.

What made 24 and LOST work wasn't the ongoing stories or the constant generation of new mysteries. Sure, those were great but what really made them work was excellent characters/casting. You can have the greatest mystery in the world and no one is going to buy it if they don't like the characters. That's why this stuff is so hard to emulate.

But those are the shows that I like. Ones interested in telling larger stories.
    So, if I were to take a stab, you'd possibly enjoy Person of Interest then?
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Banned

How about - Thursday Night Football

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    How about - Thursday Night Football
    I find myself watching less and less NFL football. For that matter I watched Det/Wash last night while flipping to NY/Chi during intermissions. Game 7? Never turned it on.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Luther is damn good, quality TV.

I've heard good things about Hemlock Grove but I haven't watched it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    oh man, Luther is soo freakin good! I just love BBC shows in general, or at least modern day BBC.
    I watched the first 3 episodes - definitely going to keep watching it. Great characters and I really like Elba.

One thing about the BBC - what is with the short seasons? Luther is 6 episodes for season 1, then only 4 for seasons 2 & 3! Sherlock is another one that deserves more shows.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Batherson, Sharangovich
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei, Forsling
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, But, G.Perreault, Morrow, Perunovich, Nikishin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I watched the first 3 episodes - definitely going to keep watching it. Great characters and I really like Elba.

One thing about the BBC - what is with the short seasons? Luther is 6 episodes for season 1, then only 4 for seasons 2 & 3! Sherlock is another one that deserves more shows.
    What is Luther about (without giving away too much)?

I generally prefer BBC shows to anything off network American TV by a LONG shot so I'm guessing I'd like it.
    I'm going to start watching True Detective soon but haven't yet started it.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    What is Luther about (without giving away too much)?

I generally prefer BBC shows to anything off network American TV by a LONG shot so I'm guessing I'd like it.
    I'm going to start watching True Detective soon but haven't yet started it.
    Its another detective show - Idris Elba plays the lead (from The Wire, he's actually British). Its along the lines of The Shield. He's not really a dirty cop, but willing to break the rules, got a temper etc, nothing original in the premise of it. A bit like The Shield I guess, but its psycho killers instead of drug lords. Hard to describe without giving away anything...its dark and gritty - I went in cold knowing nothing about it (other than liking Idris Elba), and its been a pleasant surprise so far.

Oh, and True Detective is great - though at this point its probably so hyped you might feel let down. I watched it week by week as it came out and loved it.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Batherson, Sharangovich
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei, Forsling
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, But, G.Perreault, Morrow, Perunovich, Nikishin

Banned

Its another detective show - Idris Elba plays the lead (from The Wire, he's actually British). Its along the lines of The Shield. He's not really a dirty cop, but willing to break the rules, got a temper etc, nothing original in the premise of it. A bit like The Shield I guess, but its psycho killers instead of drug lords. Hard to describe without giving away anything...its dark and gritty - I went in cold knowing nothing about it (other than liking Idris Elba), and its been a pleasant surprise so far.

Oh, and True Detective is great - though at this point its probably so hyped you might feel let down. I watched it week by week as it came out and loved it.
    Awesome thanks dude, I will definitely check it out.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    So, if I were to take a stab, you'd possibly enjoy Person of Interest then?
    Are you being facetious? I watched half of the first season of that show before giving up. I'll give it credit for being a well done show. It clearly has it's fans and there was enough serialization that you could see something larger afoot but holy crap that premise makes me want to put my head in a vice and spin. A computer that spits out the social insurance number of a person who is about to get into trouble each week?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Expert

I am not sure if I see the Shield comparison other than its a cop show with questionable morals. It is dark and gritty and you really don't know what Luther is going to do or react in situations. It keeps you guess. Season 3 is very interesting to me. I think I have two epis left. Love it though. They do an excellent job.

In reference to the shortness of BBC shows, I kind of dig it a bit. Of course I want more to watch, but when you get into 20 episodes of an hour show, you lose lots of quality.
    Sherlock being pretty much a movie length every episode is soooo cool to me.

I want to watch Broadchurch and I need to watch the latest seasons of Dr Who and Orphan Black.

True Detective is just an excellent show. Very well made and acted. Matthew and Woody kill it. I am excited for the next season, but worry about who they cast and if it will have the same excellence.(I guess that happens with every show) What excites me about it is the fact that they are different characters facing a different situation (instead of the same characters facing a different situation), its a really cool idea and can keep the audience involved in guessing how these new characters will handle situations.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Watched the first episode of Gotham last night. Overall, I liked it. They did a fantastic job depicting the city of Gotham for the show - looks incredible in HD on my 75 inch tv. Usually, highly digitized or edited settings appear unrealistic on large TVs but the setting for the show looks very crisp and they definitely captured the dark vibe the franchise is known for.

Got a lot of nostalgic kicks throughout the episode - it'll be interesting to see how the storylines for Penguin, Ivy, Catwoman, the Riddler, etc play out now that they've been introduced.

I do agree with MD how the show has that "safe" feeling because you know where certain characters ultimately have to end up which takes away from the suspense and unpredictability, but this isn't meant to be one of those types of shows anyway so hard to hold that against it.

We'll see how episodes 2-8 play out... I'll expect a drop in quality once they've established the characters and settle into "freak of the week" mode but for now I'm definitely interested.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Are you being facetious? I watched half of the first season of that show before giving up. I'll give it credit for being a well done show. It clearly has it's fans and there was enough serialization that you could see something larger afoot but holy crap that premise makes me want to put my head in a vice and spin. A computer that spits out the social insurance number of a person who is about to get into trouble each week?
    No, was being genuine. Although I only took it on from season 2 on so I have no idea how the first season went, and it's in the same type of show. I enjoy it, for many of the reasons you had described. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Ninja

For those of you that have given up on Gotham, this week's episode was actually really good. More happened in this episode than in the 6 episodes before that put together.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm 6 episodes into Gotham now. Haven't seen the latest one that bondon is referring to yet, but I'm excited now lol

It's definitely lost some steam since it settled into full "freak of the week" mode after the pilot, but I'm still enjoying it. Despite the freaks, they are still advancing the main storyline with Falcone, Penguin, Alfred/Bruce, etc. so there's some ongoing flow there from week to week. At the very least I'll finish the first season.

Am I the only one who finds Fish Mooney super hot???