Page 19 of 241 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Administrator

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Next up - Gotham!
    Don't do it! Gotham and I just broke up. I can't do it. Mystery of the week is just such ennui and the underlying story isn't nearly compelling enough to keep me interested. Maybe the fact that I know nothing can happen to these characters since we know where they end up has just killed the stakes for me.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Don't do it! Gotham and I just broke up. I can't do it. Mystery of the week is just such ennui and the underlying story isn't nearly compelling enough to keep me interested. Maybe the fact that I know nothing can happen to these characters since we know where they end up has just killed the stakes for me.
    This is pretty much why I haven't even bothered watching it. The whole mystery of the week thing is killing me. Flash does it but at least they have me hooked with the little parts of the overall mystery and the larger universe with Arrow.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Mystery of the week is just such ennui
    Agree.
    I think FOX got so "off" on this with 24 that they turned it into a cookie-cutter recipe for (what they think is...) success.
    [and LOST on ABC was doing the same sort of thing, doing it well, back then too...]

Most viewers are so done with the concept... especially if they have to wait a week for the next episode.
    If this is what they are doing - it's going to die a fast death.

Dobber Sports Sage

House of Cards. It is the one of the best TV series that has ever been made.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    House of Cards. It is the one of the best TV series that has ever been made.
    Finished that one just before True Detective. Loved it... can't wait for season 2.

Man... I've gotten some awesome television ideas from this thread... shows that I probably never would've even thought to watch. We have an awesome community here.

Lately, I've been contemplating watching all the Game of Thrones episodes all over again. I can't help but feel like I just "glossed" over it on the first viewing, and there's so many details to appreciate that it might warrant a second viewing (something I've NEVER done when it comes to television). I also recently wall mounted a new 75 inch tv and I think GOT would be epic on it.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Finished that one just before True Detective. Loved it... can't wait for season 2.
    Isn't season 2 of House of Cards already out?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Monster

Yes Sir.

I just completed season 2. Fantastic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yup - I was confusing True Detective with House of Cards. Looking forward to Season 2 of the former (and 3 of the latter!)

Dobber Sports Icon

Anyone care to comment on these?

The River
    Hemlock Grove
    The Returned
    Luther

They've caught my attention but I've yet to watch any of them.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Batherson, Sharangovich
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei, Forsling
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, But, G.Perreault, Morrow, Perunovich, Nikishin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Agree.
    I think FOX got so "off" on this with 24 that they turned it into a cookie-cutter recipe for (what they think is...) success.
    [and LOST on ABC was doing the same sort of thing, doing it well, back then too...]

Most viewers are so done with the concept... especially if they have to wait a week for the next episode.
    If this is what they are doing - it's going to die a fast death.
    I'm actually arguing the opposite of what you are. I like when my shows use the format to tell bigger stories over multiple episodes. I don't need everything to be contained in one episode like these "mystery/monster/killer of the week type shows". They are so overdone. If I want that I'll watch CBS because they've got that formula figured out to a T with their 800 different versions of CSI, NCIS and IDGAS.

You can tell that Gotham wants to tell a bigger story but it is way too focused on having stand alone episodes that have a new mystery for the cops to solve. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it is after all the story of detective James Gordon that's being told here. Seeing as he's a detective it's quite simply a detective show.

I'm not averse to shows that have stand alone episodes but I don't think they need to have a resolution to a new criminal each week for them to stand alone. I think that with skilled enough writing you can tell longer story arcs and really evolve characters.

I shouldn't necessarily use Gotham's format against it. Just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it can't work. There is obviously a market for this kind of show.

My preference is for shows like 24 and LOST that tell greater stories. Sure, they had no idea where they were headed. I think that the plane explosion in like episode eight of the first season of 24 was initially intended to be the season finale but they realized quickly that they'd be loading up on so much filler to drag it out that they'd be wasting everyone's time. But that's good writing! You shouldn't be generating filler, you should be telling meaningful stories. But the big reason that these shows worked where the shows that have attempted to emulate them have failed is that they mistook the forest for the trees.

What made 24 and LOST work wasn't the ongoing stories or the constant generation of new mysteries. Sure, those were great but what really made them work was excellent characters/casting. You can have the greatest mystery in the world and no one is going to buy it if they don't like the characters. That's why this stuff is so hard to emulate.

But those are the shows that I like. Ones interested in telling larger stories.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Luther is damn good, quality TV.

I've heard good things about Hemlock Grove but I haven't watched it yet.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Expert

Luther is damn good, quality TV.

I've heard good things about Hemlock Grove but I haven't watched it yet.
    oh man, Luther is soo freakin good! I just love BBC shows in general, or at least modern day BBC.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm actually arguing the opposite of what you are. I like when my shows use the format to tell bigger stories over multiple episodes. I don't need everything to be contained in one episode like these "mystery/monster/killer of the week type shows". They are so overdone. If I want that I'll watch CBS because they've got that formula figured out to a T with their 800 different versions of CSI, NCIS and IDGAS.
    I agree that the best shows have story lines over multiple episodes and multiple seasons but I wouldn't go so far to trash all the formula, 1-episode story shows. For me, these definitely have their niche. I watched the first 2 seasons of Criminal Minds when it came on Netflix recently and I have greatly enjoyed them. I am also watching the X Files (watched off and on in the 90s) and that show was primarily single episode shows but they did start the trend of recurring story lines. And I would suspect that most of us have enjoyed Law and Order over the years.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I agree that the best shows have story lines over multiple episodes and multiple seasons but I wouldn't go so far to trash all the formula, 1-episode story shows. For me, these definitely have their niche. I watched the first 2 seasons of Criminal Minds when it came on Netflix recently and I have greatly enjoyed them. I am also watching the X Files (watched off and on in the 90s) and that show was primarily single episode shows but they did start the trend of recurring story lines. And I would suspect that most of us have enjoyed Law and Order over the years.
    Yeah, I was actually reminded about how the stand-alone episode can work when I caught an episode of House yesterday. Still holds up. But again, the success of that show was less about the mysteries each week and more about the compelling characters. I remember enjoying The X Files when I was younger but I've since tried to go back and watch it again and it does not hold up. Maybe it's just too dated but their "freak of the week" style is exactly the stuff I just can't stick with. I can just see the seams all too clearly if that makes any sense.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The stand-alone episode is what lost me & wife on The Blacklist.
    After about 5-6 episodes it was same pattern:
    Some Bad Guy will be located and put away for his Wrong Doing by "So-Called-Bad-Guy-Doing-Good" main character.
    Rinse. Repeat.
    We dumped that show after that 5-6 episode mark.

That said, a TV show can pull it off for the first season or two as long as their is a really, really intriguing developing long-term story.
    Dexter did this really, really well for the first season (maybe first two) and usually started each season with at least a couple stand-alone stories while they got the main story rolling.
    Man... I love me some first four seasons of Dexter. (a bit downhill after the transition from Lithgow to Julia Stiles... but still a great full run for a show).