Thread: Re-signed: Kuznetsov with Caps

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re-signed: Kuznetsov with Caps

2 years bridge deal for 6M.....

The Washington Capitals have inked Evgeny Kuznetsov to a two-year, $6 million contract extension.

Kuznetsov had 11 goals and 37 points in 80 contests in 2014-15. He has a lot of potential and should take a big step forward in 2015-16 given that he has a year and change worth of North American experience now. That being said, this bridge deal makes sense for both sides. The Capitals are managing their risk while Kuznetsov is setting himself up for a bigger payday if he develops as projected.

Source: Monumental Network

Jul 6 - 6:47 PM
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Re-signed: Kuznetsov with Caps

The Capitals have assembled a pretty impressive top 6 this season. It will most likely look something like:

Ovi / Backstrom / Oshie
    Kuznetsov / Johansson / Williams

Johansson is still an RFA, but he is scheduled to go through arbitration and as Dobber pointed out yesterday: "Players who file for arbitration (or have it filed for them by the team - club-elected arbitration deadline is Monday afternoon) are pretty much guaranteed to play next season. No holdouts or delays. One way or another, the contracts get settled."

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    The Capitals have assembled a pretty impressive top 6 this season. It will most likely look something like:

Ovi / Backstrom / Oshie
    Kuznetsov / Johansson / Williams
    I agree with this projected Top-6, although it will be Johansson playing left wing and Kuznetsov playing center. And also, Burakovsky could take that 2nd line spot away from Johansson if he plays well enough. Full line-up could be:
    Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
    Johansson-Kuznetsov-Williams
    Burakovsky-Laich-Beagle
    Chimera-Latta-Wilson

Beagle and Wilson could also easily swap places. Burakovsky could also play in the AHL, and then the bottom-6 could be:
    Laich-Beagle-Wilson
    Chimera-Latta-Brown

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I agree with this projected Top-6, although it will be Johansson playing left wing and Kuznetsov playing center. And also, Burakovsky could take that 2nd line spot away from Johansson if he plays well enough. Full line-up could be:
    Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
    Johansson-Kuznetsov-Williams
    Burakovsky-Laich-Beagle
    Chimera-Latta-Wilson

Beagle and Wilson could also easily swap places. Burakovsky could also play in the AHL, and then the bottom-6 could be:
    Laich-Beagle-Wilson
    Chimera-Latta-Brown
    Kuznetsov would probably centre that second line, good call.

I also think Burakovsky could steal some second line time, but thought MaJo would start there due to his larger (inevitably) salary cap hit and you know how teams like to showcase guys who are making the most money regardless sometimes of how well they play. I could also see Johansson getting top line time while Oshie and Williams play wing for the younger Kuznetsov. Any way you slice this pie, you are looking at a formidable top two lines.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Star

Looking forward to see if he'll take that next step or lose his spot to Burakovsky.

Dobber Sports Titan

I was really high on this guy when he came into the NHL. He’s got the tools, and shows the flashes, now lets make it over a full yr.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like this deal for the Caps. A nice "show us you can do it" kind of deal that ends in RFA so that they still have or can trade his rights if he just isn't working out. Refreshing to see someone go back to a bridge deal rather than demand the world...ahem, looking at you Saad. I have been saying all along to some of my Caps fan friends that if the team is smart they are constantly referencing the Palat/Johnson deals in negotiations.
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Good signing.. I wonder what kind of numbers we will see in these next two years now??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

Like the deal for the Caps. Kuznetsov hasn't shown enough to get more money or term than this. I was kinda expecting a much bigger extension.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Good signing.. I wonder what kind of numbers we will see in these next two years now??
    I personally like Williams to slot in on the top line because of his style of play with Oshie settling in on the 2nd line. If that becomes true, Kuznetsov could be in for a fun run of assists and plenty of open space as there aren't a whole lot of Eastern teams with defensive pairings capable of shutting down both Ovi/Backstrom AND a 2nd wave of scoring.
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks