Thread: Need help please

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Need help please

I have the #3, #4, #5 picks in the 2015 rookie draft in my points only pool. I have a good team and should win the pool this year. We are allowed to keep 8 veterans and 30 rookies (up to 100 games).
    I and taking Strome and Marner for sure assuming that McJesus and Eichel go 1/2. With the #5 pick i'm looking at a few players, Provorov and Meier (who i really like) or should i look at someone else. Please let me know what you think. Points only pool, 1 point for goal or assist...

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Need help please

I'd look at trading the 5th pick in your situation myself. With 3 of the top 5 picks owned by one GM, there may be others willing to overpay for a top 5 pick. Things get a little cloudy after Strome/Marner IMO and since you're already drafting both, I'd be looking at using any other pick(s) to upgrade your main roster or main roster draft position.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree with rainydrinkwater, look for a trade.

If you can't find good value, I would go with Hanifin. His offense is underrated.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Wizard

Trading the 5th overall is a good idea. My choice at 5th overall in a points-only league would be Mathew Barzal; could become a 1st line center or at worst end up as a very good 2nd liner. I'm thinking 65-80 points, depending on the role he plays. He's especially strong in a points-only league like yours which doesn't give extra points for goals.

Hanifin, Rantanen and Zacha would be my next choices after Barzal but in my opinion Barzal is the clear-cut choice in this format.

Meier is definitely not someone you should target at 5th overall in a points-only league... Trade down to around 10th if you really want him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    My choice at 5th overall in a points-only league would be Mathew Barzal.
    Good advice Barzal is the only one who I might take before Hanifin.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Stud

Yep totally agree with Jouko. Barzal's your man at 5 in terms of raw upside. Hanifin's a solid pick too if you need D.

Post-draft there may be someone better situated to get to the show and produce earlier based on team selections but as of now, Barzal.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks Guys for the great advice. I may keep it and look at Barzal and Hanifan...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sort of against the grain here, but would one of the top 2 picks trade it for #3, #4, and #5 (or maybe two of them plus a pro roster player)? I'm not even sure if the value works out in your favour, but what do others think?

Has anyone in your league taken a crack at trading up to the top 2?

Just thinking about options....actually, not sure if it's a solid option, but just something to think about.

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov

Dobber Sports Legend

I'd stand pat and unleash ...

3. Marner
    4. Strome
    5. Barzal

Hedge your bets and guarantee yourself 2 future studs. If all 3 hit, then jackpot! All 3 of these kids have 70-80 point potential - I'm not bailing on that. How would you feel if they end up being modern day versions of Kessel, Parise and Marleau and you bail on one of them? Since there's no Goal bonus, I place these guys ahead of Rantanen-Crouse-Meier, who will score some nice goals but don't project to put up as many points.

You have 3 great picks - keep them - unless someone is willing to overpay dearly. But you already feel as if you have an inside track on winning your pool this year, so why not focus on restocking the cupboard?
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Deity

Does your league draft before or after the actual NHL draft?

If it's after, then I would hold off dealing any picks and see where everyone lands in the actual NHL draft and take a look at your situation then.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."