Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going to WJC 2016 semis and final in Finland!

The Wolverine

Default Going to WJC 2016 semis and final in Finland!

Yep, just bought tickets for the last two days (ticket gets you into both games a day), so both semifinals on Monday plus the bronze and gold medal games on Tuesday.

Have any of you been to any WJC matches previously? Anyone planning on going to this one as well?

Now to sort out flights and accommodation...

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Going to WJC 2016 semis and final in Finland!

I went to the WJC back in 2003 when they were in Halifax. I didn't go to all the games but got to see most of Team Canada's games and was there for the Championship game when Russia beat Canada 3-2. I was actually sitting right behind Ovechkins parents for that game. Jordan Too-too Train was a big fan favorite for Canada all tournament long.

You will have a blast!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Yep, just bought tickets for the last two days (ticket gets you into both games a day), so both semifinals on Monday plus the bronze and gold medal games on Tuesday.

Have any of you been to any WJC matches previously? Anyone planning on going to this one as well?

Now to sort out flights and accommodation...
    How much were the tickets and where is the tournament in 2016??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

Was fortunate enough to see the gold medal game in Ottawa where Can beat Swe as well as a game in Toronto this past year.

I do think it's a really unique experience - specifically the imbalance of fans at the game (99.9% cheering for Canada). Most NHL games don't have that kind of ratio towards one team.

Also, the WJC (and Jr./College) is particularly enjoyable due to the number of "mistakes" that lead to chances/chaos. It's an exhilarating experience for sure!

I'd be really interested in seeing some games live when the tourney is being held in Europe - congrats on taking the leap and can't wait to hear how it goes for you!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Ninja

Back in 2007, I was living in Oslo, Norway. Went to the WJC in Leksand/Mora, Sweden, spending all 10 days there. It was only about an 8 hour drive. We rented a cottage via the internet and drove to the games. I suspect you will be better served in a hotel close to the arena.

Found out about halfway through the tournament that the parents of the Canadian players would all gather in one spot of the arena after the game to meet with their kids before they had to board the bus back to where they were staying. We were able to hang out there and my wife had a great chat with Sam Gagner's mom and ended up with a great picture of Sam Gagner between her two boys (11 and 13 at the time). I learned that Sam Gagner was a very respectful kid who listened to his mom - he was 17 at the time and about to be drafted by my Edmonton Oilers later that year. We also had an opportunity to meet Steve Yzerman and Ken Holland, during one of the intermissions - they were just sitting in the crowd. Poor Holland, everyone was fawning over Stevie Y. I really wanted to ignore Yzerman and just focus on Holland, but I didn't want to blow it for the boys who were after Yzerman's autograph!

During the Canada/USA round robin game, I learned that Jack Johnson was a cool dude. The vocal Canadians in the crowd were heckling JJ and when he was caught up the ice and Canada scored, they were relentless, yelling "minus-1 Jack". He later took a nasty elbowing penalty and he actually smiled and gave us a little wink. He's got character, I'll say that. Then there was the semi-final shootout that went on for 14 rounds I think - the one where Toews scored 3 goals and Carey Price was clutch. A classic.

Absolutely full of memories for a lifetime. Well worth the cost. Tickets were less than $45 Cdn each, even for the medal games! If you can convince any of your buddies to take a week or 10 days out of their schedules to go watch a WJHC in Europe, it will be a road trip for the ages.

I hope you take away as many positive memories as I did.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Legend

Wow, that is awesome, Horror! A live WJC is definitely on my bucket list. Enjoy man.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

The Great One

I've been seriously considering going to Finland to watch the games. If I do end up going, I will get in touch with your Horror. Maybe we can hook up for a drink or something.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

I saw a handful of games when they were in Ottawa, and another handful this past year in Toronto (man, where the games severely overpriced in Toronto).

Even watching scrubs teams was fun; the Canadian crowd always pulls for the underdog.

Would highly recommend catching one game at this tourny to anyone who has the opportunity.

Dobber Sports Padawan

The WJC in person are amazing. Got full set of tickets in Buffalo, and even though Canada lost in the Finals, was one of the best sporting events I have ever been to. Was going to get tickets for Ottawa, and thought they were over priced, and they were rediculously over priced in Toronto this year. So caught a few of the cheaper round Robin games. Scored tickets for 10$ to 2 of the Norway games and face was 45$.
    But for sure, a WJC in Europe is on my bucket list. The one in Malmo would of been cool, as I. Believe it is just a bridge ride to Copenhagen, so would of been cool just for location.
    Have to wait till I retire though for that. But enjoy Finland. Totally jealous. Good Luck
    16 team league, Weekly changes
    32 Players play 20, 2 Goalies, 6 Def, 12 Fwd
    2*G,1*a,+/-*.5,.2* pim
    4*W,-1*L,1*OTL,5*SO
    17 Keepers
    Keepers marked with*
    auto protect under 40 Games
    Goal
    Vejmelka, Markstrom, Forsberg, Alnefelt,
    Ukko-Pekka Luukkoonen
    Defence
    Slavin, Pietrangelo, Girard, Hague, Joseph,
    Matheson, Brannstrom, Jokiharju, Parayko
    Forward
    Gaudreau*, Tuch, Garland, Mangiapane, L’Hereux
    Aho*, McCann, Necas, Stephenson, Zacha,
    Marchessault*, Stone, Reilly Smith, Hall,
    Giroux, Landeskog, Rodrigues, Reilly Smith, Yamamoto

Dobber Sports Master

World under 17's were held in my small canadian city a few times over the past 20 years and I went to as many games as possible.

Canada is represented by a handful of teams in the u17 which is something I'd love to see the u-20's incorporate into the tourney .

Dobber Sports Legend

Does anyone know how far in advance do they announce which city / country gets the WJC?
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Wizard

I've been thinking about going as well since the tournament is played in Finland and I live 200km from Helsinki, so it's a short trip for me.

The WJC is not hugely popular in Finland, so hopefully people from other countries travel here to see the games. I hate seeing lots of empty seats but unfortunately that's what usually happens when the tournament is played outside of Canada.

The Great One

I've only been to the one in Buffalo a couple years ago.

Some great stories in here though

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I went to the WJC back in 2003 when they were in Halifax. I didn't go to all the games but got to see most of Team Canada's games and was there for the Championship game when Russia beat Canada 3-2. I was actually sitting right behind Ovechkins parents for that game. Jordan Too-too Train was a big fan favorite for Canada all tournament long.

You will have a blast!
    It must have been awesome having it in the area where you live. Did you trash talk his parents? Obviously they had the last laugh, unfortunately.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    How much were the tickets and where is the tournament in 2016??
    Assume you mean 2017? Toronto/Montreal are the hosts. I haven't converted to $CDN, but the semis were 39 Euro (total cost for both) and the final/bronze were 49 Euro. I thought that was pretty good value.

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    Was fortunate enough to see the gold medal game in Ottawa where Can beat Swe as well as a game in Toronto this past year.

I do think it's a really unique experience - specifically the imbalance of fans at the game (99.9% cheering for Canada). Most NHL games don't have that kind of ratio towards one team.

Also, the WJC (and Jr./College) is particularly enjoyable due to the number of "mistakes" that lead to chances/chaos. It's an exhilarating experience for sure!

I'd be really interested in seeing some games live when the tourney is being held in Europe - congrats on taking the leap and can't wait to hear how it goes for you!
    Thanks for sharing. I can imagine about that imbalance. Although I would hope Canada gets to the semis, at least I hope Finland makes it to get that experience. A Finland-Sweden game would have an incredible atmosphere. Or even Canada-Sweden, where I would expect most of the crowd cheering for us! Regardless, I just want good matches.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Back in 2007, I was living in Oslo, Norway. Went to the WJC in Leksand/Mora, Sweden, spending all 10 days there. It was only about an 8 hour drive. We rented a cottage via the internet and drove to the games. I suspect you will be better served in a hotel close to the arena.

Found out about halfway through the tournament that the parents of the Canadian players would all gather in one spot of the arena after the game to meet with their kids before they had to board the bus back to where they were staying. We were able to hang out there and my wife had a great chat with Sam Gagner's mom and ended up with a great picture of Sam Gagner between her two boys (11 and 13 at the time). I learned that Sam Gagner was a very respectful kid who listened to his mom - he was 17 at the time and about to be drafted by my Edmonton Oilers later that year. We also had an opportunity to meet Steve Yzerman and Ken Holland, during one of the intermissions - they were just sitting in the crowd. Poor Holland, everyone was fawning over Stevie Y. I really wanted to ignore Yzerman and just focus on Holland, but I didn't want to blow it for the boys who were after Yzerman's autograph!

During the Canada/USA round robin game, I learned that Jack Johnson was a cool dude. The vocal Canadians in the crowd were heckling JJ and when he was caught up the ice and Canada scored, they were relentless, yelling "minus-1 Jack". He later took a nasty elbowing penalty and he actually smiled and gave us a little wink. He's got character, I'll say that. Then there was the semi-final shootout that went on for 14 rounds I think - the one where Toews scored 3 goals and Carey Price was clutch. A classic.

Absolutely full of memories for a lifetime. Well worth the cost. Tickets were less than $45 Cdn each, even for the medal games! If you can convince any of your buddies to take a week or 10 days out of their schedules to go watch a WJHC in Europe, it will be a road trip for the ages.

I hope you take away as many positive memories as I did.
    That's an awesome experience - thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Wow, that is awesome, Horror! A live WJC is definitely on my bucket list. Enjoy man.
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I've been seriously considering going to Finland to watch the games. If I do end up going, I will get in touch with your Horror. Maybe we can hook up for a drink or something.
    Cool, let me know. Our plan is to spend New Years in Tallinn and then arriving in Finland on the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I saw a handful of games when they were in Ottawa, and another handful this past year in Toronto (man, where the games severely overpriced in Toronto).

Even watching scrubs teams was fun; the Canadian crowd always pulls for the underdog.

Would highly recommend catching one game at this tourny to anyone who has the opportunity.
    Yep I figure most games can have a good atmosphere. I'm looking forward to being over here since they fans are so passionate about their teams. I remember going to a Czech league game years ago and it was non-stop singing, chanting, music etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JAC123 View Post
    The WJC in person are amazing. Got full set of tickets in Buffalo, and even though Canada lost in the Finals, was one of the best sporting events I have ever been to. Was going to get tickets for Ottawa, and thought they were over priced, and they were rediculously over priced in Toronto this year. So caught a few of the cheaper round Robin games. Scored tickets for 10$ to 2 of the Norway games and face was 45$.
    But for sure, a WJC in Europe is on my bucket list. The one in Malmo would of been cool, as I. Believe it is just a bridge ride to Copenhagen, so would of been cool just for location.
    Have to wait till I retire though for that. But enjoy Finland. Totally jealous. Good Luck
    Thanks for sharing, and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    World under 17's were held in my small canadian city a few times over the past 20 years and I went to as many games as possible.

Canada is represented by a handful of teams in the u17 which is something I'd love to see the u-20's incorporate into the tourney .
    Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Does anyone know how far in advance do they announce which city / country gets the WJC?
    Not sure. They haven't announced 2018 yet but I would suspect later this year? That's just a guess but I figure the host city would need enough time to get organised.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I've been thinking about going as well since the tournament is played in Finland and I live 200km from Helsinki, so it's a short trip for me.

The WJC is not hugely popular in Finland, so hopefully people from other countries travel here to see the games. I hate seeing lots of empty seats but unfortunately that's what usually happens when the tournament is played outside of Canada.
    Really? I figured it would be, generally as you are huge hockey fans. There was an early rush to get tickets when they were announced a few weeks ago, but then it became more gradual. I pretty much checked every day until I could be sure I'd be able to go. I haven't checked the earlier games but given there was still quite a few available for the semis I guess there are still plenty to choose from. Hopefully over the coming months these will be filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I've only been to the one in Buffalo a couple years ago.

Some great stories in here though
    Yep, agreed, and cool that you managed to see it a couple years ago.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Really? I figured it would be, generally as you are huge hockey fans. There was an early rush to get tickets when they were announced a few weeks ago, but then it became more gradual. I pretty much checked every day until I could be sure I'd be able to go. I haven't checked the earlier games but given there was still quite a few available for the semis I guess there are still plenty to choose from. Hopefully over the coming months these will be filled.
    Hockey in general is huge in Finland but the WJC doesn't get the support it deserves. For example, the Finnish hockey league and the World Championship tournament are much more popular in here. Most hockey fans are not familiar with the players at WJC, so that's probably one big reason for that. It's a shame really because the WJC is such a great tournament.

U18 tournament isn't even televised in Finland, luckily the WJC is. Maybe the lack of success for Team Finland in those tournaments is the reason for all of that but hopefully that's about to change.