Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burrows boarding Gaudreau, then instigating a fight with Russell

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Burrows boarding Gaudreau, then instigating a fight with Russell

Was at the game last night and thought it was strange, don't think I've ever seen it before where the guy who just made a big hit (and took a penalty) goes on to initiate a fight right after. Usually its the other way around with an instigator standing up for for their teamate that just was leveled.

Check 1:29 of the replay, Russell looks like hes skating away and Burrows comes after him.

No suspension for Burrows for the instigator in the final minutes of a game, saw that coming after the NHL rescinded Engelland's in after Game 2. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-expected-to-re...nalty-1.262008
    Ten Team H2H, Daily Starts
    G A P +/- PPP SHG ATOI SOG HIT DPts | W SO GAA SV%

F(10):
    D(4):
    UTIL(2):
    G(3):
    BN(2)/IR(1)

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Burrows boarding Gaudreau, then instigating a fight with Russell

I dislike Alex Burrows the hockey player as much as the next guy, but that was a perfectly clean body check. (I know by definition it was boarding but by definition any hit where a player touches the boards can be boarding) He then thought that Russell was going to fight him so he didn't wait for Russell to drop the gloves and took the initiative. I have no problems with either of these actions by Alex Burrows and I can't believe I just typed that.

Dobber Sports Genius

It does look bad, but it also looks like Russell turns his head towards Burrows, and I would guess that he's chirping at him, possibly indicating that he wants to fight. Obviously there's no way to know. It looks bad, but it is playoff hockey. It's nice to see the emotions so high in some of these games.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Burrows can go eat a bag of male chickens.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's an art form to come from behind a guy who is engaged in a puck battle with another player, so he can't see you coming, hit him into the boards while not hitting him in the numbers. I also don't see Burrows dropping the mitts so quickly if it wasn't Kris Russell, who finished the season with 17 penalty minutes all year.

If they rescind enough of these things, why don't they take it out of the rule book? Seriously. I'm okay with the NHL going all wild west, heck that was the hockey I remember, even in the regular season, but if you're not going to enforce a rule that's on the books, get it off the books.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

They need to write separate sets of rules if there is going to be this much disparity between regular season and playoffs. That way everyone is on the same page, from officials, to players, management and fans.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    They need to write separate sets of rules if there is going to be this much disparity between regular season and playoffs. That way everyone is on the same page, from officials, to players, management and fans.
    This is my major beef with the NHL. No other league that I am aware of has different rules for the regular season and another for the playoffs. Baseball doesn't shrink the strike zone, basketball punishes hard fouls the same regardless of when they happen (don't they?) and especially football, a hold is a hold is a hold, whether it's in the 1st quarter of the 1st game of the season or in the Super Bowl, it's a penalty.

Plus, the constant emphasis on which rules they are supposed to call or have zero tolerance on changes every god damned year in the NHL. What other league does this!? No one that's who.

Let them play and take the chicken shite stuff out. It's not like they are going to lower scoring anymore than they already have!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

The hit on Gaudreau is brutal. Guy is two feet from the boards, engaged, and he gets hit from the blindside, head-first into the boards. Those are the hits that need to be taken out of the game -- but that will almost 100% be on the players to stop, and that won't happen.

The fight with Russell was nothing. Russell is beaking, Burrows just got the jump. You see that in half the fights in the league.

But I really didn't like the hit.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    The hit on Gaudreau is brutal. Guy is two feet from the boards, engaged, and he gets hit from the blindside, head-first into the boards. Those are the hits that need to be taken out of the game -- but that will almost 100% be on the players to stop, and that won't happen.

The fight with Russell was nothing. Russell is beaking, Burrows just got the jump. You see that in half the fights in the league.

But I really didn't like the hit.
    What Bieksa pulled on Ferland was far worse than what Burrows pulled on Russell

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Agreed. I was livid that the refs didn't call Bieksa for the instigator when he was wailing away before Ferland even knew he was in a fight! I guess the refs were tired of having their instigator penalties overturned by the league and decided to stop calling them! lol

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Yes, I agree.

Dobber Sports Guru

If only Burrows had shown this level passion against the Bruins in the finals a couple of years ago.

Oh wait, this is Burrows. He won't fight against people who can fight back.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Sage

Don't know how anyone can say the hit was clean. Blindsided into the boards. Could've been a lot worse - I'll grant you that but that was a dirty play by a slimey player on a team down two goals with a minute left.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    Don't know how anyone can say the hit was clean. Blindsided into the boards. Could've been a lot worse - I'll grant you that but that was a dirty play by a slimey player on a team down two goals with a minute left.
    Calgary is lucky Gaudreau took that contact well. Very dirty/dangerous hit.

Dobber Sports Stud

Hate Burrows, would love to see someone destroy him with an open ice hit
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby