Thread: ROTO draft strategy

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default ROTO draft strategy

The infamous discussion about a draft strategy, 10 team keeper league, ROTO, involving hits, where would you draft goalies vs Defensemen vs elite forwards ?

Considering this is a new set up, where would you land McDavid ? Ahead of proven young assets like Seguin, Stammer and JT ? Would he be ahead of guys like Crosby, Malkin and Ovy ?

Just having a tough time to pinpoint a draft strategy. What matters most, elite D's ? Goalies ? Elite forwards ?

Thanks.
    10 teams Keeper league, ROTO, no Cap Hit. 27 players, keep 23.
    Roster Positions: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 2F, 5D, Util, 2G, 10IR+

Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPA, SOG, Hits
    G Stat Categories: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion.

C : Backstrom, Tavares, Nelson, Nielsen, Bonino
    LW : Ovechkin, Giroux, Steen, J.Bailey, Killorn
    RW : Malkin, Stamkos, Jaskin, Voracek, Seguin, Okposo
    D : Weber, Hedman, Karlsson, Yandle, Hamonic, Severson, DeAngelo
    G : Rinne, MAF, Anderson
    IR :E.Kane, B.Connolly, Buff

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: ROTO draft strategy

Guess it just depends how many Goalie cats there are... and how the flow of the draft is going.

Overall though, assuming it's like the league in your signature, in general I tend to prioritize in the order of Elite Forwards >> Goalie > Elite D

In terms of forwards, I'd still prioritize all the names you listed over McDavid, but he definitely falls right under the top echelon.
    My third overall pick would probably be used to snag a strong goalie.
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports Rookie

In a 10 team league there will be good value all throughout your draft. The best way to build a strong team in most formats from my opinion is build from elite goalies first, then elite forwads. Typically in the first 1-2 rounds you want to snag an elite goalie and elite forward and then again in rounds 3-4 I would go the same route. You can add in very solid defense in the middle of the draft.

As for McDavid, I think it's a foregone conclusion that regardless of size of league, format etc He will go in the top 5-10 picks regardless. His talent, potential, hype etc etc is way to exciting and owners will snag him very early.

Quote Originally Posted by Avangard View Post
    The infamous discussion about a draft strategy, 10 team keeper league, ROTO, involving hits, where would you draft goalies vs Defensemen vs elite forwards ?

Considering this is a new set up, where would you land McDavid ? Ahead of proven young assets like Seguin, Stammer and JT ? Would he be ahead of guys like Crosby, Malkin and Ovy ?

Just having a tough time to pinpoint a draft strategy. What matters most, elite D's ? Goalies ? Elite forwards ?

Thanks.

Administrator

Not possible to know for sure without full league details but I do know that there will be tons of players that are non-scorers but contribute in physical categories available at the end of the draft and even post-draft. Your depth slots could be filled with players that are elite in peripheral categories that don't get the attention they deserve in your league.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Cats are like league in sig.

Welcome to the jungle B.M. Thanks for the input. Where would Karlsson be drafted then ?

Personally, I always find real risky to draft a goalie in the first round, what's left in the second of forwards cannot be said to be eilte. And you need those to win. The question is, would you prefer Ovy and Holtby or Price and say Pacioretty ?

For one, I think drafting a G in the first round is pretty balsy. But that's my take.

2014-15 Champion.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Goaltending is so volatile year to year, and given that it's only a 10 team league with 2 goaltending spots, there should be plenty of goaltending depth so I wouldn't be wasting a high pick on them. Skaters tend to be more consistent so I would be taking high quality, scoring forwards early, especially with the split being 12F to 5D (because you know you're filling that UT spot with a forward). Daoust is also right in that you should focus on scoring for much of the draft and fill up the Hits stat late in the draft, ideally with defensemen, or even off the waiver wire throughout the year.

In terms of McDavid, there was a thread on this previously discussing who should be taken ahead of him. Honestly though, there's going to be someone who is going to jump on him early, so you're going to have to decide ahead of time if he's a guy you really want, and if yes, you're going to have to take him in the first or second round. That will likely be the unfortunate reality of it.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Goaltending is so volatile year to year, and given that it's only a 10 team league with 2 goaltending spots, there should be plenty of goaltending depth so I wouldn't be wasting a high pick on them. Skaters tend to be more consistent so I would be taking high quality, scoring forwards early, especially with the split being 12F to 5D (because you know you're filling that UT spot with a forward). Daoust is also right in that you should focus on scoring for much of the draft and fill up the Hits stat late in the draft, ideally with defensemen, or even off the waiver wire throughout the year.

In terms of McDavid, there was a thread on this previously discussing who should be taken ahead of him. Honestly though, there's going to be someone who is going to jump on him early, so you're going to have to decide ahead of time if he's a guy you really want, and if yes, you're going to have to take him in the first or second round. That will likely be the unfortunate reality of it.
    Great take Kofax, as well as others who have posted. Would that mean you'd focus solely on points early on, instead of the whole ROTO package, saying you'd take a Patrick Kane ahead of a Bufligyen for example ? Beside Ovy, who's the complete package, guys like Kane or Tarasenko don't give much in hits, but do in SOG and +/-. I always have difficulty in finding the right balance while drafting.

2014-15 Champion.

Dobber Sports Ace

- No cap hit hurts McDavid's value quite a bit. He will obviously still be very valuable because he's 'sexy'.
    - Karlsson was ranked the 17th best player at the beginning of the year on Yahoo, he is currently ranked the 12th best own. He is the highest scoring defenseman, the next best is Letang, ranked at 20th.
    - The 3 top ranked goalies at the beginning of the year: Rask (7), Lundqvist (10), Quick (12). The highest scoring goalies currently? Carey Price (1 overall, including skaters), Braden Holtby (13) Devan Dubnyk (14)
    - The 5 top ranked players at the beginning of the year: Crosby,Stamkos, Perry, Malkin and Ovechkin. Top 8 currently with overall ranking (including goalies) in brackets: Ovechkin (2), Voracek (3) Tarasenko (4) Giroux (5) Tavares (6) Max Pac,Crosby (8)

Draft Results for the Rocky Horror Roto Show first 2 rounds -and yahoo preseason and current O rankings - League members include Pengwin7, Axemann33, Horrorfan The Comish, Smack, 4T2 and Shoeless - I miss him on here : ( , Temek, Dooley89, Lord of the rinks and Chili Con Carne. Our league also counts blocked shots and PIMS, so take that into consideration, your league would value players like Backes, and Lucic a little less than we do because of the PIMS. Sorry for the crappy formatting I pretty much copied and pasted.

Round 1
    1. Sidney Crosby
    (Pit - C)
    Fransonstein

2. Alex Ovechkin
    (Was - LW,RW)
    Duchenesaw M...

3. Claude Giroux
    (Phi - C,RW)
    Ichi the Hiller

4. Evgeni Malkin
    (Pit - C,RW)
    Ogie Ogre-th...

5. Steven Stamkos
    (TB - C,RW)
    BranStamkers...

6. Tuukka Rask
    (Bos - G)
    Recchident Evil

7. Henrik Lundqvist
    (NYR - G)
    Briere Witch...

8. Jonathan Quick
    (LA - G)
    The Kane Chr...

9. John Tavares
    (NYI - C)
    House of 100...

10. Jamie Benn
    (Dal - C,LW)
    Natural Born...

11. Corey Perry
    (Anh - RW)
    Nightmare on...

12. Carey Price
    (Mon - G)
    Another shot... 1.

Ryan Getzlaf
    (Anh - C)
    Another shot...

2. Semyon Varlamov
    (Col - G)
    Nightmare on...

3. P.K. Subban
    (Mon - D)
    Natural Born...

4. Tyler Seguin
    (Dal - C,RW)
    House of 100...

5. Erik Karlsson
    (Ott - D)
    The Kane Chr...

6. Cory Schneider
    (NJ - G)
    Briere Witch...

7. Logan Couture
    (SJ - C,LW)
    Recchident Evil

8. Nicklas Backstrom
    (Was - C)
    BranStamkers...

9. Shea Weber
    (Nsh - D)
    Ogie Ogre-th...

10. Matt Duchene
    (Col - C,LW)
    Ichi the Hiller

11. Ben Bishop
    (TB - G)
    Duchenesaw M...

12. Joe Pavelski
    (SJ - C,LW,RW)
    Fransonstein

What can you take from this? Elite forwards who score highly in G, A, P, PPA, PPG, SOG are who you should be targeting in the early rounds. Players that score highly in Plus/Minus and Hits, although they shouldn't be ignored, can be picked up in the later rounds.

Goalies are important to your success but there will be some very good goalies still available in the later rounds. Try to take goalies that play a lot for winning teams.

If you're interested at all in the progress of our league you can find it here: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...05#post1450005

Good luck with your drafting next season and beyond.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    - No cap hit hurts McDavid's value quite a bit. He will obviously still be very valuable because he's 'sexy'.
    - Karlsson was ranked the 17th best player at the beginning of the year on Yahoo, he is currently ranked the 12th best own. He is the highest scoring defenseman, the next best is Letang, ranked at 20th.
    - The 3 top ranked goalies at the beginning of the year: Rask (7), Lundqvist (10), Quick (12). The highest scoring goalies currently? Carey Price (1 overall, including skaters), Braden Holtby (13) Devan Dubnyk (14)
    - The 5 top ranked players at the beginning of the year: Crosby,Stamkos, Perry, Malkin and Ovechkin. Top 8 currently with overall ranking (including goalies) in brackets: Ovechkin (2), Voracek (3) Tarasenko (4) Giroux (5) Tavares (6) Max Pac,Crosby (8)

Draft Results for the Rocky Horror Roto Show first 2 rounds -and yahoo preseason and current O rankings - League members include Pengwin7, Axemann33, Horrorfan The Comish, Smack, 4T2 and Shoeless - I miss him on here : ( , Temek, Dooley89, Lord of the rinks and Chili Con Carne. Our league also counts blocked shots and PIMS, so take that into consideration, your league would value players like Backes, and Lucic a little less than we do because of the PIMS. Sorry for the crappy formatting I pretty much copied and pasted.

Round 1
    1. Sidney Crosby
    (Pit - C)
    Fransonstein

2. Alex Ovechkin
    (Was - LW,RW)
    Duchenesaw M...

3. Claude Giroux
    (Phi - C,RW)
    Ichi the Hiller

4. Evgeni Malkin
    (Pit - C,RW)
    Ogie Ogre-th...

5. Steven Stamkos
    (TB - C,RW)
    BranStamkers...

6. Tuukka Rask
    (Bos - G)
    Recchident Evil

7. Henrik Lundqvist
    (NYR - G)
    Briere Witch...

8. Jonathan Quick
    (LA - G)
    The Kane Chr...

9. John Tavares
    (NYI - C)
    House of 100...

10. Jamie Benn
    (Dal - C,LW)
    Natural Born...

11. Corey Perry
    (Anh - RW)
    Nightmare on...

12. Carey Price
    (Mon - G)
    Another shot... 1.

Ryan Getzlaf
    (Anh - C)
    Another shot...

2. Semyon Varlamov
    (Col - G)
    Nightmare on...

3. P.K. Subban
    (Mon - D)
    Natural Born...

4. Tyler Seguin
    (Dal - C,RW)
    House of 100...

5. Erik Karlsson
    (Ott - D)
    The Kane Chr...

6. Cory Schneider
    (NJ - G)
    Briere Witch...

7. Logan Couture
    (SJ - C,LW)
    Recchident Evil

8. Nicklas Backstrom
    (Was - C)
    BranStamkers...

9. Shea Weber
    (Nsh - D)
    Ogie Ogre-th...

10. Matt Duchene
    (Col - C,LW)
    Ichi the Hiller

11. Ben Bishop
    (TB - G)
    Duchenesaw M...

12. Joe Pavelski
    (SJ - C,LW,RW)
    Fransonstein

What can you take from this? Elite forwards who score highly in G, A, P, PPA, PPG, SOG are who you should be targeting in the early rounds. Players that score highly in Plus/Minus and Hits, although they shouldn't be ignored, can be picked up in the later rounds.

Goalies are important to your success but there will be some very good goalies still available in the later rounds. Try to take goalies that play a lot for winning teams.

If you're interested at all in the progress of our league you can find it here: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...05#post1450005

Good luck with your drafting next season and beyond.
    Thanks a lot. Having a perspective how players were drafted last year sure gives good insights. I'm now pretty sure I wouldn't take a goalie in first round. And knowing to focus on points total, including SOG is very helpful.

And as others mentionned before, I'll go for the additional peripherals in the later rounds, preferably with the D's.

I'm leaving league in sig, for lack of motivation and challenge. Sure will be exciting to start again on new grounds.

I do admit I am biaised for younger players. Would that alter my judgment instead of acquiring players with better quality/ratio value ? Must I plan on a three year window, and not further ?

2014-15 Champion.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post

Pretty much exactly what I was getting at. Focus mostly on the goal scorers, as they will also tend to put up high SOG totals, but anyone who is a strong points producer will be a target. The Hits and +/- can wait until the end.

Goalies are important, but as seen in the post above, they vary so much year to year, they aren't worth spending a high pick on. Wait until the middle rounds to grab a good goalie in a good situation. Holtby is a prime example of that this past season, the hard part is determining who it will be next season.