Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ekman-Larsson or Barrie? Points only.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Ekman-Larsson or Barrie? Points only.

Who will produce more in their prime? Also what are projections for each?
    DURT
    The League

2013/14 Champion

Default Re: Ekman-Larsson or Barrie? Points only.

Barrie will be good. no doubt. But Ekman-Larsson for me. OEL is prime cut baby, and should Yandle be moved his value goes way up. Barrie I see as a sustainable 45-50 pt player. OEL easily a 55 point player and his upside is significantly higher than Barrie's imo.
    @SmittysRant

The Great One

I've just started to research OEL for a Cage Match column that will appear in the coming weeks, and let's just say I don't like what I'm seeing for him in points only leagues. At the risk of being a tease, stay tuned for the whole story. But if you have to make a decision now, I'd go with Barrie, who, by the way, has now tallied 59 points in his last 88 regular season games stretching back to 2013-14.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I've just started to research OEL for a Cage Match column that will appear in the coming weeks, and let's just say I don't like what I'm seeing for him in points only leagues. At the risk of being a tease, stay tuned for the whole story. But if you have to make a decision now, I'd go with Barrie, who, by the way, has now tallied 59 points in his last 88 regular season games stretching back to 2013-14.
    Hmmmmm.... keep me posted on that read.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Genius

OEL for me! imagine him on an offensive team....whooa daddy! 46-52 point threat when Yandle goes. I'm excited to see Domi on the team too. Nice offensive catalyst for OEL to pass to.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Hmmmmm.... keep me posted on that read.
    I'm targeting it for the Cage Match that's being posted on February 9th, on which I'll also be subbing for Dobber on Ramblings, so I'll be coming at you from all angles!

Dobber Sports Deity

Right now, Barrie is the better option for me.

And while I am not picking on you in particular Bomm(you just happened to state it in this particular thread), everyone keeps saying "once Yandle gets dealt", hoping and wishing it happens for OEL, the fact remains that Yandle is there and OEL is still second fiddle.

IF Yandle gets dealt, it will be interesting to see just exactly what OEL is made of at that point. I am not simply going to assume that he will turn into some 50+pt guy just because his role may or may not change at that point.

The fact remains that Barrie is producing better with what he has been given (spending time in Patty Roy's doghouse and been up and down between the NHL and AHL a couple times) and OEL, albeit a solid two-way Dman, is not producing at the same rate as Barrie.

Barrie the past three seasons has played 32, 64 and 49 games, racking up a grand total of 80 points over those three seasons for a 0.55 pt per game ratio.

OEL the past three seasons has played 48, 80, and 47 games, racking up a grand total of 90 points over those three seasons for a 0.51 pt per game ratio.

As far as who will produce more in their prime, it's tough to say. Right now, with what I know and see, I prefer Barrie.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

No offense taken, Axe...but to clarify I said IF Yandle is moved OEL's upside is even higher than it already is. His perceived fantasy value will take a huge spike too which would give him higher market value.

I prefer two-way dmen w/offensive upside over pure offensive dmen. Karlsson being an exception, I find the former have better long term fantasy value while being minute eating dmen with secure TOI, rather than opportunistic special teamers.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    No offense taken, Axe...but to clarify I said IF Yandle is moved OEL's upside is even higher than it already is. His perceived fantasy value will take a huge spike too which would give him higher market value.

I prefer two-way dmen w/offensive upside over pure offensive dmen. Karlsson being an exception, I find the former have better long term fantasy value while being minute eating dmen with secure TOI, rather than opportunistic special teamers.
    I hear ya, and thats my point. People continue to look at OEL and assume his production is limited because of Yandle. They also continue to assume that IF Yandle ever gets moved that OEL will all of a sudden take another step. It might, but it also might not.

My point is, Barrie is putting up better numbers today and that's without having to worry about someone coming or going, and he's faced his own fair share of hardships at this early stage in his career. I think he has a better offensive upside than OEL and the team around him will give him a better chance to grow.

I am just not sold that there's another gear to OEL, even IF Yandle gets dealt.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Legend

I think these guys will end up close, but I like OEL's upside more. There's definitely a "he could blow up factor" with OEL. The way I see it...

Ekman-Larsson: (40-50 avg.; 66 peak season)
    Barrie: (40-48 avg.; 57 peak season)

The difference between the two is more tangible in real life - in points-only fantasy, these guys are fairly close.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I hear ya, and thats my point. People continue to look at OEL and assume his production is limited because of Yandle. They also continue to assume that IF Yandle ever gets moved that OEL will all of a sudden take another step. It might, but it also might not.

My point is, Barrie is putting up better numbers today and that's without having to worry about someone coming or going, and he's faced his own fair share of hardships at this early stage in his career. I think he has a better offensive upside than OEL and the team around him will give him a better chance to grow.

I am just not sold that there's another gear to OEL, even IF Yandle gets dealt.
    It's not another gear per se if Yandle leaves, it's a bigger role, more responsibility which in turns breeds confidence etc. Look at Hedman as a comparison. Fungchen may be closer to home actually insofar as their fantasy value being closer than we think.

I just tend to lean towards OEL because I think he's a franchise player, future leader for the Yotes whose peak years will be more productive than Barrie's because of it
    @SmittysRant

The Great One

Those of you high on EOL are in for a rude awakening when you see the Cage Match piece.....just saying

Oh, and when Yandle goes Gormley and/or Murphy will be poised to step in, so OEL's role isn't preordained to improve.

Those of you high on EOL are in for a rude awakening when you see the Cage Match piece.....just saying

Oh, and when Yandle goes Gormley and/or Murphy will be poised to step in, so OEL's role isn't preordained to improve.
    As a Gormley owner I suddenly find myself conflicted...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

They are both in a similar situation being in the shadow of #1 (Yandle & E Johnson). I give Barrie an advantage because he is on a higher scoring team for the foreseeable future. I give OEL an advantage because I do think he is a more skilled offensive forward.

That Cage Match should be interesting. OEL hasn't really shown progress from year to year.

Dobber Sports Stud

At the risk of sounding unpopular, I'm starting to feel like your posts should have a "Sponsored Post" heading at the top. I feel like I'm scrolling through Facebook news feed when your posts come up ... "Top 10 reasons why OEL is likely to disappoint. You won't believe #4!". You've pumped your upcoming cage match article 3 times in this 14 post thread alone, enough already.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik