Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this the worst trade offer ever?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Is this the worst trade offer ever?

Received a trade offer a few days ago that resulted in a really good belly laugh, sputtering and all. Sad part is, the other GM wasn't joking, and framed it as "you get points now, I get future production".

His P. Bergeron and C. Anderson for my MacKinnon and Galchenyuk! I respectfully declined of course, not big on lambasting dudes who send bad offers as it does provide an indication as to who not to deal with in future.

It's a 10 GM, keep 20 league, with top 12F/6D/2G counting. This is my 3rd season after joining as an expansion team (with a terrible rock-bottom team, so developed a 4-5 year plan to build a contender, also have Seguin, Tarasenko, Voracek, JVR, and some other notable "youngish talent"). I sit in 4th, well out of first place and this trade would "vault" me into almost 3rd...with 1st still virtually out of reach.

So two questions for the Dobber community based on this:

1. Do any of you send out ludicrous offers using a high volume/low percentage rationale (i.e., send out enough of them and eventually one will be accepted)?
    2. If you do employ this tactic, why do you do so and will you ever stop doing it?
    14-team keeper, Fantrax weekly H2H roto match-ups, daily rosters, 4 waiver moves per week
    8 Skater Cats (G,A,PPP,SOG,PIM,HIT,BS,FOW) and 3 Goalie Cats (W,GAA,SV%)

Start C/C/LW/LW/RW/RW/F/F/D/D/D/D/D/G/G/Util, + 4 bench spots (20 player roster size + 1 IR spot as per Fantrax IR settings)
    Keep 10 players (and 8 prospects w/ less than 25 GP), 10 round entry draft (5 round prospect draft)

2013-14: 1st place reg. season, 3rd in Playoffs
    C - Giroux, Getzlaf, Kadri, Gagner
    LW - Kunitz, JVR, Schenn (C/LW), Girgensons (C/LW)
    RW - Carter (C/LW/RW), Hossa, Pominville, Perron (LW/RW)
    D - Doughty, Josi, Edler, Cowen, Gorges
    G - Andersen, Halak

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Is this the worst trade offer ever?

I often lowball somewhat at first, in order to get a sense of the other managers evaluation of the players at first. Our league is really great in the sense that replies to offers come quickly, and with counters and explanations. First time offers are rarely accepted anyways.
    To thrive in life, you need three bones.

A wishbone.
    A backbone.
    And a funny bone.

-Reba McEntire

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed613 View Post
    Received a trade offer a few days ago that resulted in a really good belly laugh, sputtering and all. Sad part is, the other GM wasn't joking, and framed it as "you get points now, I get future production".

His P. Bergeron and C. Anderson for my MacKinnon and Galchenyuk! I respectfully declined of course, not big on lambasting dudes who send bad offers as it does provide an indication as to who not to deal with in future.

It's a 10 GM, keep 20 league, with top 12F/6D/2G counting. This is my 3rd season after joining as an expansion team (with a terrible rock-bottom team, so developed a 4-5 year plan to build a contender, also have Seguin, Tarasenko, Voracek, JVR, and some other notable "youngish talent"). I sit in 4th, well out of first place and this trade would "vault" me into almost 3rd...with 1st still virtually out of reach.

So two questions for the Dobber community based on this:

1. Do any of you send out ludicrous offers using a high volume/low percentage rationale (i.e., send out enough of them and eventually one will be accepted)?
    2. If you do employ this tactic, why do you do so and will you ever stop doing it?
    What are the stat categories your league uses? Is it points only? How do goalies get points?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Depending on stats that doesnt even come close to being the worst trade ever. In a 10 team league I might agree its pretty bad but in some deep leagues goalies are fairly hard to come by expecially if u have saves and if u have FW Bergeron is a stud. But to answer your questions

1: We all see differently on value so it doesnt hurt to try and get a feel on how the other manager values players but I like to keep the "ends" open so the other GM dont get offended. Thats no way to start a trade talk. If the other manager said Andersen+Bergeron+ something for Mack+Galch then theres no reason for u to explode and feel u have to share it on dobber
    2:see above

Dobber Sports Stud

It's all good, like you said it gives you an indication to trade with that person in the future.

Personally I try and send out fairly even trades and not do lowball offers. It just makes the person less likely to deal with you in the future.
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ya, I don't think it's anywhere close to 'worst ever' territory. Could be a very reasonable offer in some leagues, but in a 10 team keep 20, it's likely a bad offer, although that might change depending on how your scoring works.

I agree with the above in terms of your questions. I try and send out fair offers, usually looking to send age for youth or youth for age depending where I am in terms of competition. I've sent offers I thought were close before only to have the other manage say he values his guys WAY more, which surprises me, but that's why we play the game.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Ya, I don't think it's anywhere close to 'worst ever' territory. Could be a very reasonable offer in some leagues, but in a 10 team keep 20, it's likely a bad offer, although that might change depending on how your scoring works.

I agree with the above in terms of your questions. I try and send out fair offers, usually looking to send age for youth or youth for age depending where I am in terms of competition. I've sent offers I thought were close before only to have the other manage say he values his guys WAY more, which surprises me, but that's why we play the game.
    Hmmm...let's see...I was just offered Cam Atkinson and Marty Brodeur for Schneider (Cory, not Mattieu, mind you)...so I'd have to say, no...no the offer you got was not the worst offer ever.

Dobber Sports Genius

Not the worst trade I've seen, not even close, but considering that it's out of line with your build plan and won't put you anywhere near first it is fair to find it laughable.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Points only, goalies get 2pt for win, 3pt for shutout

No explosion whatsoever - I find it humorous that the dim-witted folks that send these offers are actually serious...if someone isn't prepared to put a bit of effort into an offer, then they will toil near the bottom of the standings perpetually...just trying to get a sense of how people who use similar tactics would try to justify such idiocy!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I have one guy in our league that is notorious for crappy offers. If you actually want to deal with him you have to send offers back and forth to eventually cut through his lies before you come to a reasonable trade. It's kind of sad that he tries it, but it has worked on dumb managers in our league in the past so you can't really blame him. One day I would like to switch leagues into one that had GM's who actually paid attention.
    [SIZE=1]
    Vancouver Millionaires
    12 team Dynasty - H2H

C: Bergeron, E. Staal, Bonino, Vermette, Neilsen, Horvat
    LW: Hall, E. Kane, Lucic, Sharp, Marleau
    RW: Nash, Ryan, Vrbata, Stafford, Frolik, Connolly
    D: Karlsson, Doughty, Hamonic, Seabrook, Ristolainen, Girardi, Ceci, C. Murphy
    G: Lundqvist, Luongo, Lehtonen, Niemi

Scoring Categories:
    G, A, Pts, PIMs, Shots, Hits, Blocks, Takeaways, FOW, TOI
    W, Sv%, Saves, GAA

2014-15 "The League" Champion

Dobber Sports Newbie

My league is usually pretty bad with awful offers. I was offered T Ruutu and a 2nd round pick for Backlund and Kruger recently.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Maybe he thought he could help you and buy low at the same time? Not the worst offer. There is always one that will lowball to see if you bite. Worth a shot. Tell him that he is out of line and he should respect that, and if it happens again then i tend to ignore them or repky with some humour. We shouldnt take this too serious after all.
    Anyway, to answer your questions:
    1) No, 2) but i will make targetted attempts if the conditions are right (like the guy in you scenario). Exploiting homers, and those desperate for certain positions etc is fair game.

I also find there is a sweetspot between lowball and fair which yields the best results. Get thier attention but stay low because they always want a bit more.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed613 View Post
    No explosion whatsoever - I find it humorous that the dim-witted folks that send these offers are actually serious...if someone isn't prepared to put a bit of effort into an offer, then they will toil near the bottom of the standings perpetually...just trying to get a sense of how people who use similar tactics would try to justify such idiocy!
    We get it! You think it's a bad offer. But it isn't. It just isn't a very good offer. Get over yourself.

Dobber Sports Padawan

far from bad in my opinion.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov