Thread: Start Clearing Space for 2nd Half WW Players?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Start Clearing Space for 2nd Half WW Players?

I'm wondering if I should start making some 2 for 1 trades for an upgraded player so I can pick guys up off the wire like Staal, Landeskog or MacKinnon. I'm almost certain I'll be dropping Franson for MacK tonight, I think I have the depth right now to bench him and ride out his cold streak.

Some offers I've been thinking of tossing out are:

A) Hornqvist(maybe Tarasenko) + Holtby for Rask
    B) Tarasenko + Wheeler for Tavares/Benn/Getzlaf
    C) Pacioretty + Kronwall for Subban

Am I wrong/greedy for wanting to make some moves? Its very possible I'm just wanting to make a move for the sake of doing something.

Maybe its best to stick with what I have?

H2H Points - 10 Team
    G:3/A:2/PIM:0.5/PPP:1/SHP:1/SOG:0.4 +/-: 1
    W:4/GA:-1/SV:0.2/SHO:2

C: Stamkos, Aho, Larkin
    LW: Connor, Huberdeau, Benn (C), Marchessault (C)
    RW: Keller(LW), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Yandle, Werenski, Hamilton, Muzzin
    G: Vasilevskiy, Dubnyk, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Start Clearing Space for 2nd Half WW Players?

Yeah sounds like the traders tic that you have. I can see how it's tempting with the FA players available but moves for moves sake sometimes don't pan out so well.

Gotta see what is happening with Pacioretty injury wise. Ethically don't want to be peddling damaged goods, but I think that deal is the only one with some merit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Yeah sounds like the traders tic that you have. I can see how it's tempting with the FA players available but moves for moves sake sometimes don't pan out so well.

Gotta see what is happening with Pacioretty injury wise. Ethically don't want to be peddling damaged goods, but I think that deal is the only one with some merit for you.
    Thanks for the advice, really needed to hear that before I went and did something that compromised my first place team.

Do you agree with the Franson for MacKinnon move?

H2H Points - 10 Team

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I like your team the way it is with Franson being a big component of your hits though. Kinda depends on how you are doing with your categories in general, if you aren't normally winning hits anyway then taking a flyer on Mac turning it around. I think you are overbuilt in goal and wander about trying to pare down by one goalie but in an 8 team league I don''t think the trade options are all that great.

I would coast for now and take an inventory again in about 2 weeks.

Do you use FHG to evaluate your team? If not, I would recommend it - especially for a keener like you that probably can't get enough data in your system anyway.

I'm actually 8-1-0 this season in hits, with 535 total (second place has 467). So I'm averaging close 50 hits per week, and I just added Franson to my roster about a week ago to fill in while Kunitz is out.

Similarly, Crawford was injured and I only have 1 IR slot, so that's why I've been running 4 goalies. Going to have to make a tough decision between cutting Bernier or Schneider in the next couple days. Goaltending is definitely my weak spot, but I don't feel that it's worth it to trade for an elite goalie, since we only have 3 goalie categories.

I've just had the itch to grab an elite guy who could go off in the second half to gain the edge on the other stacked teams, that's why I'm interested in MacKinnon (maybe Staal is a smarter option in that regard).

I've never used FHG before, but I'll look into it now.

Thanks for the help

H2H Points - 10 Team

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah Staal is a bugger - I start sniffing around for him about this time every year just because he does bring it in the 2nd half - just don't want to overpay for him because I am cheap that way.

Have fun with FHG - they do offer a free trial and it's fun to play with all their tools - give me a shout if you want any help with it.