Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nichuchkin or Strome ?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Nichuchkin or Strome ?

League in sig.

Who's got the most value for a multicat keeper ?

I got Nichuchkin, but could try trading him for Strome.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks.
    10 teams Keeper league, ROTO, no Cap Hit. 27 players, keep 23.
    Roster Positions: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 2F, 5D, Util, 2G, 10IR+

Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPA, SOG, Hits
    G Stat Categories: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion.

C : Backstrom, Tavares, Nelson, Nielsen, Bonino
    LW : Ovechkin, Giroux, Steen, J.Bailey, Killorn
    RW : Malkin, Stamkos, Jaskin, Voracek, Seguin, Okposo
    D : Weber, Hedman, Karlsson, Yandle, Hamonic, Severson, DeAngelo
    G : Rinne, MAF, Anderson
    IR :E.Kane, B.Connolly, Buff

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Nichuchkin or Strome ?

Depends on your if your in win now mode or not. If you are I say get Strome. If your not contending I say keep Nichushkin. I don't think there's that much difference in long-term potential that would make me jump ship to Strome unless it is going for the win now. I wouldn't let Val's hip surgery worry you too much either, just look at Klingberg's skating and agility. Klinger had the very same surgery over the off-season that Val just had and he came out the other side just fine thank you. And I think, even though it hasn't been said, that this hip issue started to show itself in the second half last year and played a role in Val's slide. I think a healthy, aggressive Nichushkin is every bit Strome's equal, at least.

Win now mode go get Strome. Otherwise I would stay the course with Nichushkin.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Depends on your if your in win now mode or not. If you are I say get Strome. If your not contending I say keep Nichushkin. I don't think there's that much difference in long-term potential that would make me jump ship to Strome unless it is going for the win now. I wouldn't let Val's hip surgery worry you too much either, just look at Klingberg's skating and agility. Klinger had the very same surgery over the off-season that Val just had and he came out the other side just fine thank you. And I think, even though it hasn't been said, that this hip issue started to show itself in the second half last year and played a role in Val's slide. I think a healthy, aggressive Nichushkin is every bit Strome's equal, at least.

Win now mode go get Strome. Otherwise I would stay the course with Nichushkin.
    Thanks for your help. If I say that my team is performing so well that I don't need any help from either of them, who would you choose then ?

2014-15 Champion.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Well it's a tough call but for me, Strome is already showing what he can do. He has 295 pts in 225 OHL games and he was +106. At the AHL level, he had 56 pts in 47 games and he was +15 and now he has 35 pts in 59 games in the NHL and +24. What's intriguing about Nichushkin is the upside and the flashes he showed last year in Dallas but there is a risk factor with him that is bigger then Strome. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them but for now, I would lean toward Strome even if it seems that Nishushkin upside could be higher in the long run.
    12 Teams Keep All - 25 players - Pts only (FWD: 1 pt per goal and assist - DEF: 2 pts per goal, 1 pt per assist - GOA: 2 pts per win, 4 pts per SO) / Active roster: 9 Fwds, 4 Defs, 2 Goalies

F: S. Crosby, T. Hall, V. Tarasenko, R. Strome, J. Gaudreau, J. Guentzel, D. Pastrnak , M. Rantanen, S. Aho, P. Buchnevich, E. Kuznetzov, M. Pacioretty, J. Pavelski, J. Marchessault, D. Perron
    D: K. Letang, D. Doughty, J. Carlson, D. Hamilton, B. Montour
    G: V. Husso, J. Quick, C. Hellebyuck, F. Andersen

Banned

I would take Strome too. His development this year has been astronomical. He almost started the year in the AHL, but stuck and has turned into one of the team's best players. If you took Nichushkin's body and skill and paired it with Strome's vision and hockey IQ you would have a true superstar.

Dobber Sports Giant

As a Strome and Nichushkin owner in my dynasty, I would go with Strome, especially if your league counts FW -- as his RW eligibility helps there. You can't go wrong though, both are future 70-point talents.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'd like to not pick a side ATM, but I'd also consider where they sit in team depth...Strome will always be the Isles #2C, but Nich can be a 1st line winger. Not sure if that would steer your decision but I think it should be looked at.
    Yahoo League #1 - H2H Keep 21
    [F] Tkachuk, Barkov, A Svechnikov, Kaprizov, DeBrincat, Scheifele, RNH, Suzuki, Laine, Kakko, Cozens
    [D] Makar, Hughes, Nurse, Chabot, Byram
    [G] Hart, Shesterkin, Lehner, Helle

Yahoo League #2 - H2H Keep 22
    [F] MacKinnon, Guentzel, DeBrincat, EP40, Gaudreau, Barzal, Hughes, Laine, Garland, Norris, Batherson, Farabee
    [D] Hedman, MacAvoy, Nurse, Chabot, Pionk, Byram
    [G] Nedeljkovic, Smith, Gustavsson, Murray

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by junyab View Post
    I'd like to not pick a side ATM, but I'd also consider where they sit in team depth...Strome will always be the Isles #2C, but Nich can be a 1st line winger. Not sure if that would steer your decision but I think it should be looked at.
    Good point. But don't you think Strome could eventually play LW on the Tavares line ?

2014-15 Champion.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Avangard View Post
    Good point. But don't you think Strome could eventually play LW on the Tavares line ?
    Strome can play all over the lineup, and I suspect over the next couple of season he will do just that. But long-term I have little question he is being groomed for the 2C job behind Tavares. Should be a lethal 1-2 punch, considering the depth the Isles system has put together the past couple years. Party on, Garth!
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Strome can play all over the lineup, and I suspect over the next couple of season he will do just that. But long-term I have little question he is being groomed for the 2C job behind Tavares. Should be a lethal 1-2 punch, considering the depth the Isles system has put together the past couple years. Party on, Garth!
    Nelson is in the mix too. The Isles have a lot of weapons and there are a lot of possibilities with the line-up. Lee-Nelson-Strome has been tremendous this year - maybe the Isles best line. Regardless, Strome is going to play with quality linemates wherever he lines up going forward. Nichushkin has tremendous skill, too, and I have been a big fan since he broke into the league. Playing with Benn and Seguin or with Spezza is a pretty good spot to be, too. The only thing that worries me a bit about Nichushkin is his hockey IQ. He definitely doesn't see the game at a high level. He reminds me of E. Kane a bit. Lots of tools and everybody's always waiting for a big breakout, but it never comes because the player just can't ever harness all of their skill. I think Nichushkin will need good linemates to be a hae a chance of being a 70 point player (though he should have those linemates in Dallas). I think Strome can hit 70 points playing with anyone - as he has demonstrated already in his young career.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Absolutely, a possibility, not unlike the situation with Galchenyuk. But I can't see the Isles doing it permanently.
    Yahoo League #1 - H2H Keep 21
    [F] Tkachuk, Barkov, A Svechnikov, Kaprizov, DeBrincat, Scheifele, RNH, Suzuki, Laine, Kakko, Cozens
    [D] Makar, Hughes, Nurse, Chabot, Byram
    [G] Hart, Shesterkin, Lehner, Helle

Yahoo League #2 - H2H Keep 22
    [F] MacKinnon, Guentzel, DeBrincat, EP40, Gaudreau, Barzal, Hughes, Laine, Garland, Norris, Batherson, Farabee
    [D] Hedman, MacAvoy, Nurse, Chabot, Pionk, Byram
    [G] Nedeljkovic, Smith, Gustavsson, Murray

Banned

Strome plays RW. If he plays with Tavares it will be on the right side. Okposo has that spot locked up right now, but down the road, who knows. The Isles are one of the deepest teams in the league (wow!).

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thanks for your help. If I say that my team is performing so well that I don't need any help from either of them, who would you choose then ?
    I'd still go with Nichushkin, but I will admit that my objectivity may be suspect as a Stars fan. I love the skillset and think he clicks very well with Benn and Sequin, not that Strome is chopped liver himself. One thing I've seen a couple of times in regards to Val as a knock is that he defers a bit too much to Sequin and Benn when he has a good look himself. He may lack in the vision and hockey sense compared to Strome but I like his other tools enough to overlook that aspect of the comparison and still give him the nod. Plus he's only 19, so two or three years behind Strome in terms of development and yet they are close as to long-term potential. I mean it's not a vast yawning chasm between the two, you could make the analogy that it's like choosing between steak and lobster, you win either way.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I mean it's not a vast yawning chasm between the two, you could make the analogy that it's like choosing between steak and lobster, you win either way.
    I love the analogy ! But who's the steak and who's the lobster ? I tend to think that Val will be more valuable in a multicat keeper like ours with hits being taken into account. He's playing more with an edge than Strome, and will also contribute more in the goals category, which is a stat difficult to fill. It's just that I'm more inclined towards the Isles, a team slowly coming into force to become one of the powers of the NHL. I know, I know, the Stars are getting there too...

2014-15 Champion.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I love the analogy ! But who's the steak and who's the lobster ? I tend to think that Val will be more valuable in a multicat keeper like ours with hits being taken into account. He's playing more with an edge than Strome, and will also contribute more in the goals category, which is a stat difficult to fill. It's just that I'm more inclined towards the Isles, a team slowly coming into force to become one of the powers of the NHL. I know, I know, the Stars are getting there too...
    That's the thing with that analogy, it doesn't matter which one is which both are excellent options, and you'd be happy either way. I do agree that with his size and high energy game Val should be a better option for hits, but we'll have to wait and see just how big a part of his arsenal that will be. He was around a hit a game last season as I recall.

It's natural to be more inclined towards the Isles and Strome at the moment. They, and he, are delivering whereas...well you know. The Isles are where the Stars should be in a couple of years. Immediate results are what it's all about, but context, team needs, and management style drive the decisions. In your case where you don't need the production right now to compete and win, then your management style drives that decision, wait for higher upside knowing you won't see any returns this season or take the slightly lower upside and get immediate results? All down to your philosophy as a fantasy owner when the players are this close in terms of potential.

Like I said I don't see a huge difference in upsides once they hit their primes, but I do think it is advantage Nichushkin.