Thread: Trevor Van Riemsdyk dark horse

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Trevor Van Riemsdyk dark horse

Trevor Van Riemsdyk has flown under the radar since signing as a free agent with the Blackhawks this spring after playing three seasons with Univ. of New Hampshire.

After roster cuts Monday, Van Riemsdyk and Kyle Cumiskey were the only two defensemen on the team's NHL roster who didn't play for the Blackhawks last season. He has outlasted higher profile prospects like Adam Clendening.

That's not to say he will make the opening night roster, but he appears to definitely be impressing and in the Hawks future plans.

From this ESPN article:

"I think every camp there is always a surprise or two," Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said after practice Monday. "That's definitely one area where we're very pleased. I'm going to say surprised; I've never seen him play before. We like how he's played in the games. He was steady in [training camp at] Notre Dame and had a real good London [Ontario] tournament and played two excellent games against NHL competition. But it's still early in measuring him and seeing where he could go. But we'll look a little bit longer because we like what we saw."

Alexander Schall, van Riemsdyk’s agent, took numerous phone calls from teams interested in the University of New Hampshire defenseman after his team’s season ended in March. Chicago Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman’s sales pitch went above and beyond everyone else's.

New Hampshire head coach Dick Umile- "To be quite honest with you, you just don't know how valuable he is until he plays for you, how skilled he is, what he does with the puck with any kind of pressure on him," Umile said by phone Monday. "He’s very clever, great composure. He's very, very skilled. He understands the game. He's got a lot of his brother in him even though he's a defenseman and the brother is a forward. They have great awareness on the ice."

2012-13 39GM 33pt
    2013-14 26GM 23pt ( broke his ankle in Jan. and did not finish the season )
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Banned

Default Re: Trevor Van Riemsdyk dark horse

He's OK. He was an invitee at Sens camp two summers ago. Nothing special but was noticeable.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quite surprised that he's lasted longer than Clendening, who has seemingly done everything he needs to to make the team (or so I thought). Cumiskey actually looked quite good when I watched him a couple games ago.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Quite surprised that he's lasted longer than Clendening, who has seemingly done everything he needs to to make the team (or so I thought). Cumiskey actually looked quite good when I watched him a couple games ago.
    The reason Clendening is not on the team is because the Hawks want him to get 20+ minutes a night and they don't want him floating as their #7 dman. And Rundblad requires waivers while Clendening doesn't. If Leddy is traded, Clendening should get the call so that he and Rundblad can batter for the line 3 spot with Rozival. If Roszival is moved, Leddy needs to be matched with a traditional SAH dman.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

TVR is a nice player to keep an eye on. I don't know if he'll ever be able to get enough minutes in Chicago to be fantasy worthy, but he'll be an NHL player eventually. For offense, he's still behind Rundblad and Clendening....not to mention Keith, Seabrook, and Leddy.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Administrator

He would obviously play a reduced depth role but just getting his foot in the NHL door is a huge plus for guys that own him in deep keeper leagues.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Sounds like he's a bit of a late bloomer and bears watching.

I doubt he would ever usurp Clendening but he could carve out a nice NHL career and eventually be fantasy worthy.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Sage

Hawks just called up Dahlbeck and a lot of people are speculating that a trade is upcoming. For what it's worth, Dahlbeck is a steady, SAH dman. Could Roszival be getting moved? A hawks reporter says it's for depth in the game against NY on Friday.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Now with the Leddy trade, it might open up a spot for TVR and maybe even Rundblad/Clendening.

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Ya TVR is really surprising me. I liked him as a prospect but he's pushed his way into the discussion a lot sooner than anyone expected. I still think Rundblad gets Leddy's spot, but TVR is his top competition. Dahlbeck and Clendening are in the mix as well but I think they'll have to wait a little bit.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Stud

Scott Powers ‏@ESPNChiPowers 18m18 minutes ago

Cumiskey and van Riemsdyk are making the team. Quenneville said they are under the cap.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Wizard

TVR seems to be slotted to start on the 2nd pairing with superintendent Chalmers. Interest has risen.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think it's a game 1 audition. Hjalmarsson and Oduya were pretty much inseparable last season, I expect that pairing to be back together shortly. But it's a good way to see early on just what they have in TVR.