Thread: Help with FA pick - Rank Silfverberg, Lee, Couturier, etc.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Help with FA pick - Rank Silfverberg, Lee, Couturier, etc.

I need advice with my last set of moves before the season begins. Free Agency starts at 9pm MST tonight and I could use a little help with the last pick.

Lots of intriguing players are available, but nothing immediately jumps out at me. This time last year Beau Bennett and Marcus Johansson were on my radar. They looked poised to take off with great line-mates and situations ...... oh well.

I'm competitive in my league and have been the runner up in the playoffs two straight years. So basically a win-now / stabilize-for-the-future-type team.

Here are a list of available players, in order of relevance (IMO):

"Intriguing players"

Silfverberg - Untapped upside and should grow into a bigger role with Kesler.
    Anders Lee - Appears to have the inside track with Tavares and Okposo. Calder potential?
    Tanguay - COL top 6 is a pretty nice spot. Injury prone, aging, but still has mitts. PPG could be solid.
    Couturier - Has he locked down the #2 spot in PHI? That could mean 50 points.
    Desharnais - Not too many #1 C available. He counts right? Lock for 50 points.
    Tlusty - Boom or bust, but had chemistry with Staal in the past. Showed something more lockout year.

"The long shots, kids" etc.

Elias Lindholm - Staal's unfortunate injury locks him in the top 6. Probably boosts his point total 10+.
    Gaudreau - I'm rooting for him to succeed, but the size thing... upside is clearly limited.
    Kasperi Kapanen - I read that he'll get 9 games with the injuries in PIT, then what? Not likely to stick, but huge potential.
    Smith-Pelley - Dark horse for the Getzlaf and Perry line. A player to watch.
    JT Miller - His AHL pace shows promise, but once Stepan returns he's pushed back down the lineup. First month should be huge.

Defensive upgrade? (Drop Gelinas?)

Hampus Lindholm - Kid looked poised and got his chances surrounded by a lot of talent. How high is offensive ceiling though?
    Tyler Myers - That rookie year... can he return to that level?

Help me out Dobber nation. Rankings or advice would helpful. League and team in the sig. Feel free to disagree with my comments. Thanks in advance!
    10 Team, (points only) Keeper
    F: Kucherov, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Zibanejad, Nylander, Bjorkstrand, R.Johansen, Perron, Buchnevich.
    D: Burns, Klingberg, Provorov, Fox, DeAngelo, Grzelcyk.
    G: Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, Koskinen, Saros, Georgiev.
    Bench: Gurianov, Hintz, Norris, Chytil, Thornton.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Help with FA pick - Rank Silfverberg, Lee, Couturier, etc.

Anders Lee would be my top choice. It looks like he's won the spot with Tavares and Okposo as Brock Nelson looks to center the 2nd line and Cory Conacher is....not a factor.

After that I would go Desharnais, Tlusty, Tanguay, Gaudreau in that order.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Can anyone help me narrow this further? Just one of the following, points only keeper:

Anders Lee
    Silfverberg
    Couturier
    Desharnais
    F: Kucherov, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Zibanejad, Nylander, Bjorkstrand, R.Johansen, Perron, Buchnevich.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Not Couturier, 45max. Could improve, could be a Jordan Staal.
    Not Silfverberg, 45max. Should improve over time, and given opportunity.
    Lee is probably higher risk but big reward. No going to even try to predict.
    Desharnais, good for ~50. Oldest of your shortlist though.

I would probably pick Elias myself.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Fspen View Post
    Can anyone help me narrow this further? Just one of the following, points only keeper:

Anders Lee
    Silfverberg
    Couturier
    Desharnais
    If it's win now as you say, I'm going with Desharnais.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like lindholm over gelinas myself, he seems a safer bet to produce. Gelinas is good but has more competition. I'd go with desharnais too, if max PAC stays healthy he should out produce the kids, who I think will all be in the 40-50 range.
    11 GM limited keeper. keep 13 drop 10. 12f,6d,2g,3bench

Use current cap.

G8, A7, SHG5, SHA3, PIM1, .02 for hits,shots, blocks.
    Goalies stats. W.10, SO.5, OTL.3, SOL.2, SV.010

F-, Connor , svechnikov , Aho , E.Lindholm,hoglander,trochek
    , mcmichael, Konecny, batherson, Farabee, tomasino,

Bench, shesterkin , pinto, Lundkvist, Tomasino

D- theodore, girard, weeger, shattenkirk, clague, perunovich

G- hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I went with Desharnais, and put a claim in on Anders Lee as well. I'll give some thought to dropping Gelinas, but he has a lot of raw skill and could succeed - or maybe the competition forces him down the line-up - like you say thunderfist. A situation to monitor for sure.

Cheers