Thread: Draft review

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Draft review

I drafted in spot nr. 8 out of 12 in one of my one year leagues (details in signature) and the outcome was as follows:

1. (8) Henrik Lundqvist (NYR - G)
    2. (17) P.K. Subban (Mon - D)
    3. (32) Joe Pavelski (SJ - C,LW)
    4. (41) David Backes (StL - C,RW)
    5. (56) Dion Phaneuf (Tor - D)
    6. (65) Wayne Simmonds (Phi - RW)
    7. (80) Scott Hartnell (Cls - LW)
    8. (89) Evander Kane (Wpg - LW)
    9. (104) Mark Giordano (Cgy - D)
    10. (113) Radko Gudas (TB - D)
    11. (128) Frederik Andersen (Anh - G)
    12. (137) Jack Johnson (Cls - D)
    13. (152) Dustin Brown (LA - LW,RW)
    14. (161) Nazem Kadri (Tor - C)
    15. (176) Troy Brouwer (Was - RW)
    16. (185) Tomas Plekanec (Mon - C)
    17. (200) Ben Scrivens (Edm - G)
    18. (209) Kevin Bieksa (Van - D)
    19. (224) Antoine Vermette (Ari - C,LW)
    20. (233) Derick Brassard (NYR - C)
    21. (248) Craig Smith (Nsh - C, RW)

Usually i am not so into drafting goalies early and had hoped for Giroux, but he was taken one spot ahead of me. Available would have been Getzlaf and Tavares.
    With Lundi in the books I could focus on Skaters for the next rounds. I wanted to grab the ANA-tandem, but Gibson was taken right after I took Andersen.
    I drafted pretty much according to FHG-value using dobbers projections.
    In the end I think I ended with a lot of hitting PIM guys and a very solid D, but I have the feeling that I sacrificed too much scoring.
    Edit: Phaneuf was a mishap because I lost connection shortly befor my pick and at that time had im first in my column...damn!
    So what do you guys think about my team?
    12-team H2H-League (One Year), daily line-up
    Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: Goals (G), Assists (A), Points (P), Plus/Minus (+/-), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shorthanded Points (SHP), FaceOff Wins (FOW) Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT), Blocks (BLK)
    Goaltenders Stat Categories: Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Save Percentage (SV%)

C: Bergeron, Couture, Johansen
    LW: Zetterberg (C)
    RW: Mi. Granlund (C)
    W: Pacioretty, Kreider
    F: Pavelski, Stepan
    D: Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Provorov, Klefbomb
    G: Rask, Hellebuyck
    BN: Maroon, Foligno, Barrie
    IR: Krejci, Getzlaf

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Draft review

I think your feeling is right - up to the 4th round I think you were fine - but with Subban and Backes in the saddle for grit, I think you needed to move away from that focus. As it is, you will probably win hits by a million each week and PIM's by a few thousand.

The trick with drafting using FHG valiues is that you need to understand where guys are deriving their value from in the FHG formula and not load up too much on things like hits ansd PIMs. It is very easy to do. In a points league using FGH, it's easy, you just take the next most valuable player available - but with H2H and Roto, you need to be careful to balance your picks between points and perirpherals.

You might be okay in a H2H league if Brown rebounds and Kane finally breaks out offensively. I don't think you drafted the winner but it's not too bad, you will get management opportunities to beef up your offense.

The Great One

Default Re: Draft review

Someone in my league drafts every year in a similar manner (grit guys), and FWIW he's finished last or second to last out of eight for three years running. And as you noted yourself you could run into goalie issues.