Thread: Advanced Stats versus the Old Guard

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Advanced Stats versus the Old Guard

As someone who is a big fan of reading advanced stats articles this is the kind of argument I often find myself in

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ad...itter-rivalry/

I don't think they are the be all, end all by any means but I think it's ignorant and short sighted to be dismissive of them. Think of all the things they never even bothered to record that we now can look at, +/-, Hits, Blks, GiveAways, Takeaways, faceoffs by zone, possession by zone, scoring by zone
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Advanced Stats versus the Old Guard

Everything has it's value, doesn't need to be a battle between two philosophies.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Interesting read, thanks vitun-tyhmä. Not sure how advanced stats can impact on fantasy hockey decisions until they become categories of their own - but I am a dinosaur. I can see how real life hockey might make use of the information though.

Dobber Sports Guru

I think advanced stats guys (at least the ones online elsewhere, not here), go a little overboard when it comes to it, and that turns a lot of people off. I know a guy on another site, who will only look at advanced stats when it comes to deciding if a player is good or not, and not circumstances surrounding it (ie- if a guy is playing with a superstar, his advanced stats look better than if he was playing on the fourth line).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Deity

I've only really started paying attention to the advanced stats when it comes to fantasy sports. I fought the Corsi for as long as I could. Now it plays into considerations when I am looking at players and even trade value. It's not the be-all-end-all for me, but its a consideration more today than in the past.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    ... I know a guy on another site, who will only look at advanced stats when it comes to deciding if a player is good or not, and not circumstances surrounding it...
    he's doing it wrong

Dobber Sports Veteran

I like to see the charts as in the guide.. Cause it either reinforces what I see or makes me go hum. They can be usefull, I think they are helpfull when you have someone like dobber (who I trust on this) to help interpret them.

Dobber Sports Titan

With a player going from one team to another in real life, I’ll look at his advanced stats a bit to see if he’s fantasy valuable. Spezza to Dallas and Polak to the leafs so to speak. Spezza was brought in to lighten the load of Seguin. In Ottawa he was in the defensive zone a lot to start his shifts over the yrs. If he’s starting in the offensive zone then he has more chances to produce.

Gardiner was signed because of his advanced stats and how he limits the time in the defensive zone considerably. So management might tell Carlyle to give him more of a leash, impacting his numbers.

In fantasy, until Corsi becomes a category, these advanced stats should only be used to sway one way when 2 players are identical. The most advanced I’ll go often is shooting percentage, and that’s typically to see if someone had a fluke yr (steen and Pavs had really high Shooting%).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    With a player going from one team to another in real life, I’ll look at his advanced stats a bit to see if he’s fantasy valuable. Spezza to Dallas and Polak to the leafs so to speak. Spezza was brought in to lighten the load of Seguin. In Ottawa he was in the defensive zone a lot to start his shifts over the yrs. If he’s starting in the offensive zone then he has more chances to produce.
    Just to add to that, Spezza probably started in the defensive zone a lot more because he's one of the best in the leagues in faceoffs. So that will probably stay the same in Dallas.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Just to add to that, Spezza probably started in the defensive zone a lot more because he's one of the best in the leagues in faceoffs. So that will probably stay the same in Dallas.
    Then in turn more offensive zone time for Benn and Seguin. It’ll be interesting if they overload PP1 too.

Benn – Spezza – Seguin. More offensive zone time with Spezza on the draw.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll