Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Debating the Ovenchicken's coming season

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Debating the Ovenchicken's coming season

Ovechkin is a 4 cat guy - goals, ppp, hits and sog. I am pondering whether Trotz is going to influence those particular cats for Ovechkin, in any significant way. I do expect his +/- to improve, but after that I am just not sure - what are your thoughts

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Debating the Ovenchicken's coming season

I think Ov is a way buy low. I think Trotz is a great coach and will set him lose with the hand he is dealt. This is the cheapest you will get him... But it will be for 2 years and then his passion will die.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think the time for buying low on Ovie has passed. But if you can get him at a discount ... Do it cause I'm sure the sale end is over due

Dobber Sports Monster

I think Ovie will be fine under Trotz. I dont think Trotz is an offence killer; he was just never given elite players. Kariya is the one exception and he got a few 70 point seasons under Trotz in the twilight of his career.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    I think Ovie will be fine under Trotz. I dont think Trotz is an offence killer; he was just never given elite players. Kariya is the one exception and he got a few 70 point seasons under Trotz in the twilight of his career.
    Agree. Trotz isn't an offensive killer... He's just never had one to dish out passed Webber.

This year he's got a very respectable D who can score and shut down(Carlson/orpik)... Add in ine of the most prolific lamp lighters of this generation... If heads remain screwed on properly... This team will be considerably better than Nashville ever was.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thanks guys - first of all this is a one year league thing so just a matter of considering him in the draft with my early pick. I guess I wondered with all the talk of Trotz going to expect OV to play a two way game, if tha t might impinge on his offensive contributions and in fact whether it might result in a decrease in ice time.

I think in terms a drafting a RW very early it comes down to him and Giroux as being pretty equal in value - Giroux's value pumped up a little because of FOW and his better +/-. I like the blend of OV's contribution more but if he is going to be leashed, I wonder if Giroux isn't a better pick.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Thanks guys - first of all this is a one year league thing so just a matter of considering him in the draft with my early pick. I guess I wondered with all the talk of Trotz going to expect OV to play a two way game, if tha t might impinge on his offensive contributions and in fact whether it might result in a decrease in ice time.

I think in terms a drafting a RW very early it comes down to him and Giroux as being pretty equal in value - Giroux's value pumped up a little because of FOW and his better +/-. I like the blend of OV's contribution more but if he is going to be leashed, I wonder if Giroux isn't a better pick.

Cats: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,FOW,Hits,Blocks,W,GAA,SV%,Saves

Sorry man... Did miss the 1 year league. Still though

Giroux : FOW/assist/+\-
    Ovie: G, PIM, SOG, Hits

Not sure who takes the blocks cat.

Still feel Ovie will out produce. But it's close. Go with your gut.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The last thing I do is go with my gut - analysis, re-analysis, strategy and then make the pick. Will see how pre-season plays out first I guess.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I plan to select Ovechkin first overall in my hits/sog league.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Skate or Die View Post
    Yeah I can see that call - although I personally don't think I could bypass Crosby with a first overall pick - there is a definite argument to be made for taking OV if forward positions are differentiated.

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think his offense dips much. Maybe a tad as Trotz will expect him to be more defensively responsible (he will make EVERYONE more defensively responsible) but not enough to warrant avoiding him. If anything, I expect his +/- to improve this year!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Ovechkin is a 4 cat guy - goals, ppp, hits and sog. I am pondering whether Trotz is going to influence those particular cats for Ovechkin, in any significant way. I do expect his +/- to improve, but after that I am just not sure - what are your thoughts
    He's crap - I'd let him slide to #3.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    I think Ov is a way buy low. I think Trotz is a great coach and will set him lose with the hand he is dealt. This is the cheapest you will get him... But it will be for 2 years and then his passion will die.
    Great observation there. I see OV as a real rollercoaster guy. You absolutely HAVE to know when to get on and when to get off.

A couple of seasons ago, I acquired him and Voracek for Parise/Kipper (just a month or two before retirement). The ultimate buy low IMO. I think the best time to sell high on him was just before the Olympics. Now his value has plummeted again. Would I buy low again if given the opportunity? Absolutely.

Like plug said, I think he'll be very good bordering on elite for a season to a season and a half and then he would decline again.

It's all about timing.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Ace

The argument I've always made is that Trotz is first and foremost a great coach and great coaches focus on both offense and defense. I expect Ovie to get back to normality this season, something like

50 G
    35 A
    +10
    400 SOG
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Skate or Die View Post
    Nice to see you around!

In a league that counts G, PPP, SOG, Hits, AO is hands down the MVP of the league.
    H2H (10 Team): G, A, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocked Shots - W, GAA, Sv%, SO
    Keep 4; Play 2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1F, 4D, 1UTL, 2G

C: Crosby, Johansen, Stepan, Johnson
    RW: Simmonds, Backes, Toffoli, Okposo, Brouwer
    LW: Ovechkin, Lucic, Landeskog, Palat
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Shattenkirk, Gudas, Parayko
    G: Holtby, Allen, Talbot