Thread: Sheldon Brookbank heading to the Flames for a tryout

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Sheldon Brookbank heading to the Flames for a tryout

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...829-story.html

"Sheldon Brookbank would have preferred to re-sign with the Chicago Blackhawks for the 2014-15 season, but that opportunity hasn’t materialized so the veteran defenseman is moving on.

After spending two seasons with the Hawks, including during their run to the 2013 Stanley Cup, Brookbank is an unrestricted free agent. He didn’t land a new contract with the Hawks, who currently sit around $2.2 million over the NHL’s salary cap, and Brookbank is headed to Calgary where he will attend the Flames’ training camp on a tryout basis.

“The Hawks said that they liked me and they’d like to have me back if it worked but obviously they’re a little strapped under the cap,” Brookbank told the Tribune on Friday. “It didn’t quite pan out as I’d hoped. It’s not to say that it’s totally over and done with. You never know what could happen from now until the start of the season. As for now, I’m moving on and I’m going to Calgary and I’m going to try to make their team.

“It definitely would have been nice to stay with the Hawks but … at the end of the day you just want to stay in the NHL,” he added. “That is your goal first and foremost.”

Brookbank, who just completed a two-year, $2.5 million contract, had two goals, five assists and 52 penalty minutes in 48 games with the Hawks last season. He was involved in a three-man rotation at the sixth defenseman spot and also saw time at forward when coach Joel Quenneville called upon him to play the wing.

The physical blue liner will now attempt to continue his career with the Flames.

“I think there’s a real opportunity there,” Brookbank said. “I know they have six guys there they want and they have a few good young players but I think there’s a place where I might have a chance.

“My body feels good,” Brookbank added. “I know my age is creeping up there but I feel I gained a lot of valuable experience in Chicago and it’s something I want to try and take with me when I move on for my next opportunity.”

As far as leaving the Hawks, Brookbank had nothing but good things to say about his stint with the organization.

“It was pretty exciting,” he said. “We had a couple of good runs. Obviously, being part of the Cup team is something that I’ll never forget. It was fun. It’s a classy organization and they treat you well. They have a really high standard of winning there and that’s something you can’t help become a part of when you’re with the Blackhawks. Winning is everything there. It was an honor to play for the Hawks.”"
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Sheldon Brookbank heading to the Flames for a tryout

Good guy. He'll be a solid pro for the Flames.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Guru

Better to have a veteran guy as your 7th D-man than have a rookie sitting on press box each night.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Better to have a veteran guy as your 7th D-man than have a rookie sitting on press box each night.
    Not to mention, he's a Burke kinda guy too!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

He should be a nice 7th D.

Good for the Flames, smart depth pickup.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Wizard

If he doesn't land there, hopefully he heads north to Oiltown.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    If he doesn't land there, hopefully he heads north to Oiltown.
    That would have made more sense to me, the Oilers could use a stay at home guy no?
    14 team H2H fantasy points league
    G=3 A=2 PPP=1.5 PIM/Hits/BS=0.25
    W=4 SO=6 GA=-1.25 SV=0.15

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sound defensive, physical player IMO. He'll help the Flames should they sign him.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak