Thread: Austin Watson

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Austin Watson

18th Overall pick in 2010, C/RW, good size at 6'3, 190 lbs. He showed some decent scoring ability in junior and hasn't been bad in his first two years in the AHL, ranking 2nd and 3rd in team scoring respectively. 42 goals in the two seasons combined is #1 among Milwaukee Admirals in that span. Not sure the system they play in Milwaukee but am I safe to assume it was in the same mold as the old Preds?

With a seemingly shallow RW pool behind Neal and Smith, and the ability to shift in to C, does anyone see Watson having a shot to make the team out of camp? Does he have a future in Nashville?

League in sig, looking for some guidance on what direction to go with this kid.

Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Austin Watson

I've seen him here in Milwaukee a few times and he always seems to stand out from the rest of the players. I'm a bit pessimistic about his fantasy upside as long as he remains in the Nashville organization, but changes have been happening there (Trotz out, added Neal/Ribeiro). He's absolutely worth owning but I highly doubt he sniffs the NHL this season. Hope he proves me wrong, the kid has skills.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by maya has the knife View Post
    I've seen him here in Milwaukee a few times and he always seems to stand out from the rest of the players. I'm a bit pessimistic about his fantasy upside as long as he remains in the Nashville organization, but changes have been happening there (Trotz out, added Neal/Ribeiro). He's absolutely worth owning but I highly doubt he sniffs the NHL this season. Hope he proves me wrong, the kid has skills.
    Yeah, I think there are too many players ahead of him right now - Jokinen, Roy, Bourque, Nystrom, Forsberg, Jarnkrok, etc. I don't understand Jokinen and Roy signings but they will keep kids from playing this year.

Administrator

I'm skeptical about him being more than an injury call-up this year and frankly his scoring history isn't very good. Barely over a point a game in the OHL and nothing earth shattering in the AHL either. He is a good two-way player who will make it one day. I just don't think it registers in fantasy leagues.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I watched him during the memorial cup, and he was a presence on the ice. Hit hard and drove to the net. Reminded me of how Kesler played against nashville in the playoffs. I think most of his talents are in the defensive side of the game though so in terms of fantasy he is limited unless he gets traded to a team that gives him more chances to be that offensive type player.