Thread: Visiting Ireland

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Visiting Ireland

A couple of buddies and I are planning to spend a week in Ireland in September to "celebrate" the big 4-0.

We've just started looking into it, but so far we're thinking of splitting the trip between Dublin and Galway. The latter looks to be a good base to visit interesting sites such as the Cliffs of Moher and the Aran Islands.

We'd rather not rent a car and try to get around by bus or train, whichever is convenient.

Anyone been there/live there?

I'd love to get any kind of feedback.

Is the Dublin-Galway split a good one? Or would you recommend any other town instead or in addition to? What would you recommend in terms of sites /pubs, etc.

Any kind of pointers would be appreciated, really.

Also, one of the guys mentioned taking a daytrip to Belfast from Dublin. Is Belfast worth visiting (I really hadn't considered it)?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Visiting Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    We've just started looking into it, but so far we're thinking of splitting the trip between Dublin and Galway.
    We'd rather not rent a car and try to get around by bus or train, whichever is convenient.
    Anyone been there/live there?
    I'd love to get any kind of feedback.
    Favourite trip of my life.
    In 2004, I went in a group of five guys to Ireland.
    We actually flew into London (where a buddy of ours lives) and then flew to Dublin.

We rented two cars and did a trip from Dublin-to-Galway using roads around the South of Ireland.
    Stopping in the smaller towns and a few "town pubs", staying at smaller bed n breakfasts.
    It was great.

There are some really, really good castles & paths & stuff around the south.
    Blarney Stone is at some castle (pretty awesome grounds too) near Cork, which is to the South.
    Killarney is fun town to for a night.

After staying in Galway (a fun party/college city) for two nights, we took the straight road back to Dublin.

By far, by far... best trip of my life.
    Worth renting a cap and driving the narrow streets around the south of the country, IMO.

Our map, attached.dublin-to-galway via south.gif

Dobber Sports Star

Never been there, but when you do, make sure to drink plenty of Irish Whisky!

Dobber Sports Genius

Never been, but with Irish in my blood, one day I hope. Rick Steves video below. May not be what you're looking for, but interesting. Always like watching his videos. Have fun! I like 4 mins (giddy!)
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Arrow Re: Visiting Ireland

Ahh, Ireland..if you're big on history kinda guy like me, don't skip Belfast. Birthplace of the Titanic! and countless other pieces from th past to be had there.

And castles! What a gorgeous place to visit, Ireland. Make sure you enjoy plenty of that dark foamy stuff, and whhhhiskey! Cannot forget that sweet sweet nectar.

HF GL DD!

Haha rick steves, that guy is sooo lame but you just can't help but watch the vids! Europe is so awesome I don't know where to stop...just need endless amounts of wealth and a backpack to see it all! Rats..
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by beyondthewall19 View Post
    Haha rick steves, that guy is sooo lame ..
    Agree 100% but puts together a good production.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Certamo.
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Banned

I have absolutely zero interest in visiting Ireland. to ME it seems like a boring dull country.

but I would go to tripadvisor.com (forums)

pretty much the main site I use for planning trips to places I don't know anyone or anything

Dobber Sports Stud

Pengwin - Please stop making up fake trips to artificially boost up your post count! Seriously, thanks for the insight.

Good vid, COD. Kinda cements my choice of Galway as a good base to visit the Western region.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

The Wolverine

I haven't been there much but I definitely recommend Belfast. Interesting history, friendly people, just stay out of the dodgy areas haha. There are tours that take you through some of the areas during the time of the Troubles. Definitely interesting. I suggest a least a couple days if you have time, so you can head up on a day trip to visit the Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge and Giant's Causeway.