Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sakic: We will draft a forward

Dobber Sports Immortal

I can't decide whether this is a very weird smoke screen, or if it's actually legit. Not too much history with the team with the #1 overally pick doing this so it's tough to judge. Either way Im just glad I don't have to watch Tambellini with his stupid smirk this year.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree that this is probably true. Although they might still be open to trade the 1st overall for the right return, if they keep their pick and they end up selecting Jones, Sakic would look like a clown. Bluff is part of negotiations, but lying in public would impact his credibility.

Dobber Sports Genius

I don't think its a smoke screen, I think they are legitimately going to draft a forward and they are letting Jones and the fans know so they don't feel a let down when its not the local boy.

I also think its a good idea from a draft perspective anyways, the top forward is almost as close to bust proof as you can get, whereas defense can slide up or down as they are not as "far" into the final development product at the same age (in my opinion at least).
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    It'll probably take a while for Stastny to be moved if that is true though because there are a few similar centers available in free agency this summer. Why trade assets for Stastny when you can just sign Derek Roy, Stephen Weiss or Mike Ribeiro. A team may just flat out like Stastny more and thus do the deal but I don't see it myself.
    Oh... I'm not saying it'll happen this summer.

What I think we'll see is for COL to draft MacKinnon.
    They'll roll out their team with:
    C1: Duchene
    C2: Stastny (last year of contract)
    C3: O'Reilly (last year of contract)

MacKinnon will be a winger in his first season (ala Seguin).
    Unlike Seguin though, COL will likely move Stastny and/or O'Reilly at the trade deadline (unless they are in contention). O'Reilly still has RFA status at the end of his contract... so they won't necessarily move him... but Stastny will be moved for certain if COL is out of playoffs next season.

Dobber Sports Genius

Whether ploy or reality, it's a good move on the part of Colorado.

They could still select Jones 1st, if that's the wisest move. Think about Hedman, Doughty, EJ, Bogo, JJ, Pietrangelo... others.

Think about RNH, Hall, Duchene, Huberdeau, Tavares, Crosby, Yak, Galchenyuk, Landeskog... others.

I'm pretty sure I'd be taking a forward. I'm pretty sure I'd be taking MacKinnon.

Dobber Sports Star

I see this as being an honest statement while also trying to sweeten a deal for one of the teams to move up, including Nashville.

Worst case no offers come in and they take MacKinnon, best case they get some additional assets while selecting Barkov, Drouin, or Jones.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Deity

I guess we will find out on June 30th if its a bluff or not. I know I am not buying the whole "we're taking a forward" pitch after they have already come out and said they would consider trading the pick but wouldn't drop down lower then 3rd overall.

Time will tell but how many teams in the past leading up to the draft have even let out a sniff who they plan on taking first overall, even if its painfully obvious to everyone around them? Not many.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Or this could simply be a ploy by Colorado to see if they can get one of the other top 3 teams to make them an offer to get an additional piece to their franchise.

Lets say Florida already had their mind set on MacKinnon, fully expecting Colorado to take Jones. Does Florida start re-thinking their strategy or do they look at giving Sakic and Patty Roy a call and look at shifting up a spot to get MacKinnon?

This is a smart "leak" by Colorado in my opinion. Stir the pot leading up to the draft and see if there's anything out there.
    Yeah I agree, regardless of what they really intend to do in the draft, this is a smart poker move, the worst that happens is nothing comes of it and you take whoever you like best, the best that comes out of it is that you gain additional information from Florida and/or TB as to who they are targetting and you gain leverage to potentially trade down and gain a pick. Smart move

Dobber Sports Pro

We will draft a forward... In the 2nd round.

Dman be damned, I would always draft a forward with the first overall.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

The Great One

Drouin to Colorado!

The Great One

This is not posturing by Sakic. This is Patty Roy telling the team to wake up and draft the kid with superstar potential.

Roy watched a lot of Mackinnon and Drouin in the Q and he knows what a lot of other people also know. No matter how good Jones will be, you don't pass up on talent like Mackinnon. This is Tavares vs Hedman all over again.

I agree that the Avs need help on defense, but Jones won't be able to truly help them for a number of years (again, see Hedman for a comparison).

They will draft Mackinnon and acquire some help on defense via trades or Free Agency.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

I think this is a rookie mistake by Colorado/Sakic.

Don't go public with anything, what are you gaining?

Dobber Sports Deity

I will tell you why I feel this is simply a ploy or posturing by Colorado.

Joe Sakic, the executive vice president of hockey operations for the Avalanche, told The Denver Post on Tuesday night they will pass on the top-rated defenseman and instead choose between forwards Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin or Alexander Barkov.

"If we do pick first, we're leaning more toward one of those three forwards," Sakic told the paper. "We feel those three forwards are just too good to pass up."
    If Sakic had come out and simply said we are looking at MacKinnon or Drouin then I may buy into it more then I do. The fact that he is mentioning Barkov as well is what makes me think its posturing. Don't get me wrong, I like Barkov and think he is a fantastic player but there is no way in hell any team is going to take him before Seth Jones. That is the one line that makes me stop and say that he's playing here. No way, no how. We all know that if he isnt going to take Jones then he's looking seriously at MacKinnon or Drouin, especially with Patty Roy's input after seeing these two kids the past two years. Barkov's name in there is what seals it for me.

And note the part I bolded. "If we do pick first".

This is poker 101. Put doubt in your opponents head by raising the ante.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I will tell you why I feel this is simply a ploy or posturing by Colorado.

If Sakic had come out and simply said we are looking at MacKinnon or Drouin then I may buy into it more then I do. The fact that he is mentioning Barkov as well is what makes me think its posturing. Don't get me wrong, I like Barkov and think he is a fantastic player but there is no way in hell any team is going to take him before Seth Jones. That is the one line that makes me stop and say that he's playing here. No way, no how. We all know that if he isnt going to take Jones then he's looking seriously at MacKinnon or Drouin, especially with Patty Roy's input after seeing these two kids the past two years. Barkov's name in there is what seals it for me.

And note the part I bolded. "If we do pick first".

This is poker 101. Put doubt in your opponents head by raising the ante.
    At least one team had Barkov #1 in Bob's recent poll IIRC

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    At least one team had Barkov #1 in Bob's recent poll IIRC
    A team that had no chance at drafting first overall and wanted to skew the results?

haha imagine that