Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Ball Hockey

  1. #1
    Location
    Vancouver
    Rep Power
    7

    Dobber Sports Apprentice

    Default Ball Hockey

    Joined a ball hockey team during the winter(came in 2nd place) and started up a new team for the spring season. Our new team has a shitload of learning and conditioning to do.


    Share any tips, tricks, drills, bragging, etc here.
    12 GM Weekly H2H Points Based System Limited Keeper
    Start:6 FW, 4 D, 2 G
    +/- G=5pts A=3pts SOG=.2pt SHG=3pts Hattrick=5pts GA=-1pt S=.2pt SHOL=3pts SO=3pts W=10pts *Bonus point added to defenseman G or A

    FW-Stamkos, Voracek, D.Sedin, H.Sedin, MacKinnon, Duchene
    D-Doughty, Carlson, Josi, Klingberg
    G-Rask, Price
    Bench-Henrique, Stastny, Yakupov, Zuccarello, Sekera, Gostisbehere, Beauchemin, Gustavsson, Condon, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy
    Keep 10(max 2 goalies)

  2. #2
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Legend

    Default

    Short sticks. High pain tolerance. Less finesse and more shots.

    Oh and only play with people you know well. Ball hockey has an abnormally high amount of real douchebags that play it, but with the right people it's great fun and a good way to stay fit.

  3. #3
    Rep Power
    40

    The Great One

    Default

    Definitely less finesse....just get the ball on net and see what happens. Stickhandling is almost pointless, especially if it's a smaller surface area like I play on. Pass on a 2 on 1 rarely works. SHOOT
    Please help me choose 10 keepers
    G,A,PPP,Hits,SOG
    W,GAA,SV%,SO

    Crosby, Ovie, Giroux, Pavelski, Fleury, Lundqvist, Ghost, Josi, Simmonds, Larkin, Bergeron, Marchand, Huberdeau

  4. #4
    Location
    Philly
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Oh and only play with people you know well. Ball hockey has an abnormally high amount of real douchebags that play it, but with the right people it's great fun and a good way to stay fit.
    This.

    And it is good advice for any rec/beer league team.

    I play some roller hockey as well as ice and it is only fun when playing with your buddies, especially if you are dropping a few hundred bucks in league fees. It's all about the fun, banter in the room, and beers afterwards.

    In terms of other advice - find a few guys that really click together and let them play together. From experience, there are always certain guys that just "think" the game the same even at our levels - match these guys up.

    Cheers.
    6-GM / WK-H2H
    Skaters: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, Hat Trick= +1
    *DMen/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

    Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G Max)
    *Captain: Malkin
    (F): Tavares, Stamkos, Backstrom, Tarasenko, Eichel, MacKinnon, Kessel, Pacioretty, Kopitar, Gaudreau, R.Johansen, Okposo, Radulov, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, F.Forsberg, Toffoli, Drouin, Burakovsky, Ehlers, W.Nylander, Marner, Rantanen
    (*D): Karlsson, P.Subban, Letang, Ekman-Larsson, Byfuglien, Shattenkirk, T.Barrie, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, M.Rielly, Pouliot, Theodore, Provorov, Pulock, DeAngelo, Montour
    (G): Price, Holtby, Vasilevskiy

  5. #5
    Location
    Prairies
    Rep Power
    40

    Yoda

    Default

    When I was in university (Waterloo) we used to play ball hockey in the gym as part of the intramural sports. There was 3 or 4 players on per team at a time. We'd bring maybe 8 or 9 guys to stay fresh.

    There was this one team that consistently showed up with NO subs.
    They kicked the shit out of everybody.
    They just knew each other so well and there is one thing they did very, very, very well.

    1. Ball/Puck possession and keep moving.

    In ball hockey, teams often resort to playing man-on-man defense. So if your guys can just keep moving offensively at a slow jog, they force their defender to follow them which wears a defender down and keeps him from being able to look at the puck possessor. (since following a guy and watching the ball is actually pretty tough).

    As practice goes, this is actually a pretty good thing to practice.
    Just have 3 or 4 guys pass the ball around, control it for maybe 3-5 seconds, not a lot of time, pass it.
    Anybody without the ball/puck should be moving (slow jog), looking for open space to park, receive a pass and take their time of possession.
    Great practice. We never did this... and should have.

    That team knew each other so well, they'd dominate possession, wear the other team down, and capitalize at the right time. It was a sight to see. Amazing.

  6. #6
    Rep Power
    23

    Dobber Sports Guru

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    When I was in university (Waterloo) we used to play ball hockey in the gym as part of the intramural sports. There was 3 or 4 players on per team at a time. We'd bring maybe 8 or 9 guys to stay fresh.

    There was this one team that consistently showed up with NO subs.
    They kicked the shit out of everybody.
    They just knew each other so well and there is one thing they did very, very, very well.

    1. Ball/Puck possession and keep moving.

    In ball hockey, teams often resort to playing man-on-man defense. So if your guys can just keep moving offensively at a slow jog, they force their defender to follow them which wears a defender down and keeps him from being able to look at the puck possessor. (since following a guy and watching the ball is actually pretty tough).

    As practice goes, this is actually a pretty good thing to practice.
    Just have 3 or 4 guys pass the ball around, control it for maybe 3-5 seconds, not a lot of time, pass it.
    Anybody without the ball/puck should be moving (slow jog), looking for open space to park, receive a pass and take their time of possession.
    Great practice. We never did this... and should have.

    That team knew each other so well, they'd dominate possession, wear the other team down, and capitalize at the right time. It was a sight to see. Amazing.
    no surprise, this is good advice for NHL teams too.

  7. #7
    Hey Robbie's Avatar
    Hey Robbie is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Rep Power
    17

    Dobber Sports Ace

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Definitely less finesse....just get the ball on net and see what happens.... Pass on a 2 on 1 rarely works. SHOOT
    I played goalie for my ball hockey team growing up. That should be enough evidence that HockeyRobot's advice is spot on.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,PIM,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 2C 2R 2L 2Util 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Nicklas Bäckström   Steven Stamkos   Logan Couture   Ryan Kesler (14)   Carl Söderberg
    LW: Taylor Hall   Zach Parise   Marcus Johansson
    RW: Алекс Ovechkin (RW/LW)   Jakub Voráček (3)   Mikkel Bødker (LW/RW)
    Util: Dylan Larkin (LW/C) (10)  Patrick Marleau (8)
    D: John Carlson (5)   Drew Doughty   Андрей Markov   Rasmus Ristolainen   Marc-Édouard Vlasic   James Wisniewski(IR)
    G: Petr Mrázek (15)   Ben Bishop (6)  Craig Anderson (13)

  8. #8
    Location
    London
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Juggernaut

    Default

    Just pick up a bunch of soccer players who can run for hours and you're team will do fine. haha

  9. #9
    Location
    Philly
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Just pick up a bunch of soccer players who can run for hours and you're team will do fine. haha
    lol. Seriously though. Stamina is key. Although there is a cat I used to play ice with who was chunky and had a huge beer gut yet he was insane good. He looked like Krutov out there, all funny, but he was like a bull and could deke and had a wicked release.
    6-GM / WK-H2H
    Skaters: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, Hat Trick= +1
    *DMen/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

    Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G Max)
    *Captain: Malkin
    (F): Tavares, Stamkos, Backstrom, Tarasenko, Eichel, MacKinnon, Kessel, Pacioretty, Kopitar, Gaudreau, R.Johansen, Okposo, Radulov, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, F.Forsberg, Toffoli, Drouin, Burakovsky, Ehlers, W.Nylander, Marner, Rantanen
    (*D): Karlsson, P.Subban, Letang, Ekman-Larsson, Byfuglien, Shattenkirk, T.Barrie, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, M.Rielly, Pouliot, Theodore, Provorov, Pulock, DeAngelo, Montour
    (G): Price, Holtby, Vasilevskiy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •