Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Rinne Out ~4 Weeks [Hip Injury]

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by SubbaNsalad View Post
    Semantics... the infection in his hip spread to his blood... sepsis. Anytime the infection spreads from the hip i guess physicians refer to it as septic hip but im pretty sure from what ive read it was a bacterial infection n the hip that spread to his blood. If you think this means hes gunna have permanent issues plz say so...

Id love to know jus how low to sell

Also it says his non infected leg swelled.. and fever. Does this still point towards "septic hip" or sinply blood poisoning from bacterial infection?
    From now on I won't bother trying to correct ppl here on medical stuff cuz it's a waste of time ...

You said that "there was no such thing as a septic hip ... his hip is structurally fine". I argued otherwise because (a) septic hip is a known diagnosis, (b) the fact that he had pain in the same hip and they did emergency surgery on it, (c) of course the surgeons will announce everything is fine.

Is a septic hip "potentially" career threatening - yes!
    Do I personally know how bad his hip is - no!
    Will his doctors say his original (and recent) surgery was a success - yes! they might tell the patient otherwise, but they're not going to announce to the world that there was a serious complication from their original surgery. (Gronkowski's 3 or 4 forearm surgeries were "all successful".)

a septic hip is the worst complication you can get from arthroscopic hip surgery. Maybe they caught it in time but sounds like the infection was there long enough to spread to his bloodstream and other leg ("cartilage injury can occur by 8 hours" ... he had the hip pain Tues night, and surgery on Thursday ... thats at least 24-36 hours).

Bacteria likes to eat cartilage. Cartilage can not heal itself. Thats why you can get irreversible damage when you get a septic joint. Hopefully Rinne recovers.
    Last edited by cdubb; October 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    From now on I won't bother trying to correct ppl here on medical stuff cuz it's a waste of time ...

You said that "there was no such thing as a septic hip ... his hip is structurally fine". I argued otherwise because (a) septic hip is a known diagnosis, (b) the fact that he had pain in the same hip and they did emergency surgery on it, (c) of course the surgeons will announce everything is fine.

Will his doctors say his original (and recent) surgery was a success - yes! they might tell the patient otherwise, but they're not going to announce to the world that there was a serious complication from their original surgery. (Gronkowski's 3 or 4 forearm surgeries were "all successful".)

a septic hip is the worst complication you can get from arthroscopic hip surgery. Maybe they caught it in time but sounds like the infection was there long enough to spread to his bloodstream and other leg ("cartilage injury can occur by 8 hours" ... he had the hip pain Tues night, and surgery on Thursday ... thats at least 24-36 hours).

Bacteria likes to eat cartilage. Cartilage can not heal itself. Thats why you can get irreversible damage when you get a septic joint. Hopefully Rinne recovers.
    Finally.... what took you so long to post this. Excuse me for being ignorant but i assume half the stuff i hear on the internet is false and i jus went through this whole sepsis thing with my mom. Now I know whats up. Thank you.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Sorry boys I didn't Post the article to start a war but rather to provide info. Anyway, here's some new news which I doubt will set off a medical debate:

Again from the Nashville Tennessean:

Rinne watches: Goalie Pekka Rinne, who underwent arthroscopic hip surgery to clean out an infection, watched Tuesday’s practice seated in a chair behind the glass.

Rinne will miss at least four weeks. He was not available for comment

Dobber Sports Star

i may look into buying low on rinne since i cannot win this year. will he be back to 100% health next season?
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post

thanks for the awesome info (and links). Please don't stop posting medical info because of the minority of idiots

I think I will hold off on buying low on Rinne, as it is unclear as to how much damage there is with his hip. Could return to 100%, could have permanent mobility loss. For an athletic goalie like him, mobility loss would be a huge blow.

Dobber Sports Initiate

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/11/...hip-could-miss

Could be out up to two months with an E. Coli infection in his hip.

Dobber Sports Stud

This is the worst situation... a bit like Crosby with his concussions.
    You don't know if the guy will return to form or have lingering issues so trading him gets complicated.
    I'm trying to gage the market right now in my league, some are interested but I don't think if I'll get full value.
    If something decent pops out, I might pull the trigger...
    Damn this one hurts!
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.