Thread: What I've Learned: Rotisserie Leagues

The Wolverine

Default What I've Learned: Rotisserie Leagues

Last spring, some of you may have seen forum posts on what I've learned in various league types. I figured that now would be a good time to revisit and update this series, as we are now approaching the time of year when fantasy managers are making preparations for their upcoming leagues. This is the first of three editions in this series; the second being head-to-head, and the final one on auto drafting.

My initial reason for creating this piece was to have something written down to help with my own rotisserie strategies. But in doing so, I feel that this could be of use to others. Please think of this as a guide, rather than a set of instructions. You may not agree with all of my points; however, I am simply highlighting a variety of factors to consider that may help in your own leagues. Finally, keep in mind that I am referring to one-year leagues only. The following is what I have learned playing in rotisserie leagues:

Have a good understanding of the settings, especially the categories used

The first thing you need to do is to have a close look at the league's settings. How many teams? What are the categories? What are the starting positions? What is each team's roster depth? It may seem like common sense but it's something that managers should not take for granted. Having a solid grasp of your settings soon after joining the league will help you in the months ahead.

With regards to categories, as your production is cumulative, it's very important to understand how much each category can affect the overall standings. Each category is worth the same amount of ranking points; however keep in mind those categories that don't occur as frequently. For example, if your team scores a shorthanded point or two, it could have a significant effect on the standings, whereas an assist or two may not. Furthermore, be aware on which goalie categories are used, as your strategy could change dependent on the number of counting stats (wins, saves), percentage stats (goals against average, save percentage) or even negative stats (losses, goals against).

It's important to understand the effect these categories have and strategize accordingly. It can be the difference between competing for a championship and simply battling for a top half finish.

Players who contribute in multiple categories tend to have more value

Not only is it important to be aware of the categories used in your league and how it affects the standings, but it helps to know which players can help you most in those categories. Players who can contribute in multiple categories tend to be more valuable than those whom are more offensive but with limited strengths elsewhere. Furthermore, someone who is strong in the less frequent categories (e.g. shorthanded points) may have even more value, as their production would have a greater effect on your standing, not only in that particular category but overall as well.

It has become more the case since Yahoo leagues have introduced more popular peripheral categories such as hits and blocked shots. Defensemen would have greater importance in such leagues, and possibly several depth forwards that you wouldn't have considered with fewer categories. To better identify player values in different settings, a very good resource to check out is http://www.hockeypoolgeek.com. Here you can create a league based on your own custom settings, and it will give you an adjusted ranking that identifies a player's true value.

Regardless of the players you choose and the structure of your roster, it's important to understand player values to better help you when making difficult roster management decisions. The challenge is identifying those category needs that are most important to you, and figuring out how best to address them throughout the season.

Keep an eye on producers, and don't get stuck with underachievers

We have all been there. We draft a team with guys whom we expect to do well since they've been fairly consistent in recent seasons. Our team looks pretty good, and we expect to compete for the title. So, during the first few weeks we notice that some of these guys are not producing at a rate we are expecting. "It's just a slump", we tell ourselves; "it'll get better." But it's now late November, and we are still holding out hope that their performance will improve. It's now December and these players are still sucking. You cannot explain why these guys are not having a good season. It has to improve, right? Wrong. In rotisserie leagues, this is a killer. You need to have guys that are producing regularly in order to remain competitive. If you wait too long, you are bound to fall further behind in several categories, and by the time you cut bait or bench them for free agents, it could be too late. The further along in the season you fall behind, the more difficult it is to catch up.

However, all that being said, you can benefit from a bit of patience. Some players are slow starters, and some are underachievers - it's a challenge and a skill to determine which is which. Furthermore, take advantage of hot starts (sell high) if you can, as many players' numbers will even out in the end, especially if they have a history of consistency. Of course there will be outliers, so keep a close eye on a player's situation, his production and/or his level of play to better identify whether any changes need to be made.

Rotisserie leagues are marathons

There are no playoffs in rotisserie leagues, and they usually finish on the last day of the regular season. It's easy to relax and let your roster run its course due to it being a long season. However, if you don't regularly manage your roster you will likely fall behind and have a difficult challenge of keeping up with the contenders. Even if your team is full of steady performers and/or breakout candidates, you cannot assume that it will remain that way. Injuries, slumps, trades, and other factors outside of your control happen throughout the season, so you need to be aware and ready to make adjustments on the go.

Being a marathon, you will not necessarily win or lose in November or December. However, you should be able to narrow down who will remain competitive and who will fall by the wayside. You do not want to be in the latter group less than halfway through the season! The challenge is finding any advantage to keep from falling behind those managers who are performing well up to that point. One way is by looking at the games played for each team. I will touch on this later on.

You usually need strong goaltending to have a chance at winning

In order to determine the importance of goaltending in your league, you must go back to my first and most basic rule, understanding your league settings, and answer a few questions. How many teams are there in your league? What is the ratio of goalie categories to skater categories? How many goalie slots are there in your starting roster? What is the ratio of goalie slots to skater slots?

Depending on the answers to these questions, you could be in a league where goalies are of moderate importance, to being vital if you want to remain competitive. If most of the answers are on the higher side, I would strongly consider acquiring two solid goalies very early in your draft, to ensure you aren't playing catch-up as the season progresses. If the other managers are as clued in as you are, they will be well aware of the importance of goalies, and it makes it much more difficult to acquire them during the season. It is usually easier to find an under the radar or streaking skater through free agency, than it is to find a goalie that will help your squad.

(continued)
    Last edited by horrorfan; July 15, 2011 at 4:33 AM. Reason: formatting

The Wolverine

Balance is important

One common misconception is that you can still be successful by sacrificing one or two categories and focusing all your attention on the remaining ones. In my experience, it's very unlikely to win a league if you are at or near the bottom in any category. You may be competitive, but the difference between a title and a top three finish at best could be the one category you decide to sacrifice. You will need to be especially strong in most of the other categories, which is a challenge as there are always fluctuations over the course of a season.

This also goes back to my point about ensuring you have players that are producing, and not hanging onto underachievers. On paper, it may appear that you have a very strong team, which should dominate most if not all of the offensive categories. So, you might pay less attention to your goalies and focus all your efforts towards dominating offensively. What if your offense unexpectedly struggles? Is your goaltending good enough to keep you competitive? It's better to be relatively strong in most categories, than be dominant in a few and weak in others.

Make trades to improve your squad, not to win the deal

"Who wins this deal?"

How often do you see this question asked while you browse through a message board? The answer is too many to count. What I don't like about this question is that people assume that if you 'win' a deal, then it automatically helps your team. More often than not, it probably is a correct assumption. However, you can 'lose' a deal and still help your squad in the process.

This is especially important in rotisserie leagues. By paying attention to your weak categories, don't be afraid to try to make a deal to improve in a certain area even if you have to overpay slightly. This could also improve your chances against direct competition, especially if the deal helps your squad and could help you catch your trading partner in the process. If you can meet a need, then it doesn't matter if the deal appears to favour your trading partner. Your goal should be to win the league, not just the deal.

If you have maximum games, use them all but not too early

This is most relevant if your league has a limit on the number of games played at each starting position. If your maximum is set at 82 games, then you have to be extra careful not to use your bench players too often or you risk running out early. However, if you carefully manage your games played, either by sticking with your starting line-up most of the time, or use matchups, then you can be confident of not overplaying your games, while at the same time maximising your team's production. If you use your bench players on a regular basis, you may have the lead at some point during the season, but will risk maxing out far too early. I have yet to see a manager max out early and still win the league.

It could also be useful to stay under the games played pace if you have a few underperforming players, as a slumping starter doesn't help you very much. This could give you added flexibility in the latter part of the season when said players are back to their normal selves, and/or you have bench players who are on a hot streak. The key is to maximise efficiency and get the most out of your roster.

I won't go into a situation where a league does not have maximum games, as I feel it takes away much of the strategy and challenge that makes rotisserie leagues enjoyable. In these leagues, the most active (not necessarily the best) manager will likely win, unless his team is quite poor.

Take advantage of the rule that allows you to overplay your games at the end of the season

This is an official rule (at least in Yahoo), and it appears that many people are still unaware of it. By managing your games played throughout the season, you could be a position to use this useful strategy that could help you win your league if it's close at the end, or at least move up in the final standings. If you have one game remaining in a specific position (in Yahoo you will see a minus-1 in red), you can start the maximum number of players into your line-up the following day and receive points for all of them.

However, don't just pick any player, as you must closely monitor your categories and determine which (if any) you can increase your ranking with these moves. At this point of the season, it's possible that you will be too far behind or ahead of your nearest competition that it may not be worth it. If there is an opportunity though, make sure you take advantage of it.

Stay active and play until the very end

This seems obvious but it's especially important in rotisserie leagues. It can be a long and gruelling season, especially if you are working hard on managing your games, your players, being active in free agency and making trades. At some point, you may decide to give up as you feel like you have no chance to win. We've all been there. I would keep going because you might find yourself in a position to improve your standing at any time. Injuries, slumps, managers overplaying their games; these are common occurrences and things can quickly change. However, the best reason of them all is that we play the game to the best of our abilities, and it makes a league much more enjoyable with active managers.

This is "What I've Learned"; hopefully it's instructive for your own Rotisserie leagues. Good luck!

Stay tuned for my next edition: What I've Learned playing in Head-to-Head Leagues!
    Last edited by horrorfan; July 15, 2011 at 4:33 AM. Reason: formatting

Dobber Sports Giant

deadly read. again.
    thanks.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Monster

Beautiful Stuff. Thank you!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great article HF, this writeup is great and a lot of misconceptions and do's and don'ts are covered.

Looking forward to the H2H one because all my leagues are H2H
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Pro

Very good, HF. I especially like the bit regarding trades. The point should always be to improve your squad!
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Icon

Never been in a rotisserie league but this is a great post Horrorfan, kudos, and it even has quite a bit of relevance in H2H leagues.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Good stuff horrorfan.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Reppy reppy. Good stuff!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Nicely packaged, Brandon. If this was my site (it isn't), this article would be archived in the Dobberhockey.com library of 'must read' articles for anyone venturing into roto leagues or looking to improve their performance in roto leagues.

The Wolverine

Thanks everyone, it is very much appreciated. If you have anything to add, and/or whether you have some constructive feedback, please share as this is always a learning experience.

There are similarities between H2H and roto as you will see, but of course there is a whole bunch of different strategies as it's quite a different game altogether.

Shoeless - thanks very much but I cannot take all the credit. You were the first one who helped me out when I had joined my first roto league, and it was extremely valuable. I highly recommend others checking it out:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...highlight=roto

Your advice was invaluable and I owe a lot of my knowledge down to yourself. Cheers!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Winning the deal vs improving your team

Quite possibly the best piece of advice ever given on this site.. Far too many GMs are too concerned with winning any given deal instead of with the ramifications of said deal on their team.

When making a trade I am always looking to make my team better, not to "win" the trade itself.

Very well done sir.
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

You deserve every bit of this Brandon. Thanks buddy!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates