Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: NHL Mock Draft 2019 - Discussion

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: NHL Mock Draft 2019 - Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I’m not the only one with 4 goalies. I wouldn’t draft in an actual league this way. Just want to make sure I’m covered for injuries and what not in a roto league where there aren’t any adds/drops/trades.
    I wasn't just asking you.. I am just curious.. I have 3, do I need a 4th?
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Big Daddy

It’s a small freckle in this league set up. If you add a fourth than you are helping yourself in Wins and Saves but taking a chance on GAA and SV% while also sacrificing skater categories. Personal preference really.

Dobber Sports Deity

Damnit. For only the 2nd time this draft, I got scooped from the guy in my queue just before my pick was to come around. I had Danault as my pick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

It’s a small freckle in this league set up. If you add a fourth than you are helping yourself in Wins and Saves but taking a chance on GAA and SV% while also sacrificing skater categories. Personal preference really.
    Yes... it is...

We originally set out to have it be a 'Mock Draft', a tool to help us all prepare for our real drafts coming up. Then it was decided to make it into a competition.

So I guess it depends on if some people put the cart ahead of the horse, there will be teams with 4 goalies and maybe some will even draft 5 goalies.

I feel like making this into a competition has deterred from the original goal of using it as a tool for our upcoming drafts.

A question that I pose to those with 4 goalies... is this strategy that you would use in your real leagues? Or is it merely to try and finish a the top of the two counting goalie categories.

And I totally agree, we all have a competitive nature, and we all come here for a competitive advantage.

The ideal situation would be that we did this as a mock draft, and then just uploaded the results to see who 'mock drafted the best team'

The goal was to create a league similar to 'best ball' drafts in NFL. But it is very difficult to replicate in hockey... and there is definitely some holes in the process... definitely open to any ideas to fix it up!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Damnit. For only the 2nd time this draft, I got scooped from the guy in my queue just before my pick was to come around. I had Danault as my pick.
    Sorry Axe...

people around here are gonna start thinking I am a Canadiens fan with all those I have drafted in this draft!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Big Daddy

My comment wasn’t a jab towards pmorrow, PH or the league set up just to clarify. I understand that at the end of the day this should just be used as a mock but as you said, competitive nature takes over. In a yahoo mock or an actual league, I am drafting 2 goalies - maaaybe 3 - but definitely not 4. I guess I use this as a mock but as the later rounds progress I try to set my team up to win. Didn’t mean any ill will towards anyone or the mock set up.

My comment wasn’t a jab towards pmorrow, PH or the league set up just to clarify. I understand that at the end of the day this should just be used as a mock but as you said, competitive nature takes over. In a yahoo mock or an actual league, I am drafting 2 goalies - maaaybe 3 - but definitely not 4. I guess I use this as a mock but as the later rounds progress I try to set my team up to win. Didn’t mean any ill will towards anyone or the mock set up.
    Its all good DusterDave... its all good.

Like I said...we all are hard-driven to win... or else we wouldn't be part of a fantasy hockey community and always aiming to earn more...

I think the setup of the league is us trying to have our cake and eat it... as awesome as that would be we can't have our cake and eat it... so we can't have a mock draft and put a standings in it and expect people not to try to win! It would be naive for us to expect people are not going to try and use the setup of the league to try and win!

Again, I say its all good!

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Welp, that's it that's all.

I didn't want to roster 4G but with no pick up/drops/trades, I figured I better secure both handcuffs. Hopefully I dont need McElhinney but better safe than sorry.

Dr Brad, cant say I really saw you much on the forums prior to the draft but thanks for stepping in for the draft. Much appreciated.

Good luck to you all. I hope 2nd or worst is all you all get, but good luck to you all none the less.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

My final roster for this multicat, Roto league

Fwds

Leon Draisaitl
    Patrice Bergeron
    Jonathan Huberdeau
    Josh Anderson
    Mikael Granlund
    Ryan Nugent-hopkins
    Alex Radulov
    Brady Tkachuk
    Elias Lindholm
    Anders Lee
    Clayton Keller
    Zach Parise
    Frank Vatrano
    Lawson Crouse

D

John Carlson
    Jacob Trouba
    Matt Dumba
    Jake Muzzin
    Esa Lindell
    Colton Parayko

Goalie

Andrei Vasilevskiy
    Curtis McElhinney
    Pekka Rinne
    Juuse Saros

My focus was to try and get players who offered something across the board. Also, finding guys who fired close to 200 SOG at least was another thing I looked for as much as possible. I don't normally do Roto leagues so we'll see how my strategy pays off. In hindsight, I probably should have grabbed one less fwd and one more D but again, we'll see.

Big Daddy

This was a really fun draft to be part of. Like Axe, I also tried to focus on players with over 200 SOG while drafting my point getters but I wasn’t necessarily looking for multi-cat producers the whole way. While I managed to draft a few of them, I used the tail end of the draft to focus on obtaining peripherals as I feel I did a decent job with getting my goal scorers early on.

Thanks to pmorrow and PenguinHunter for putting this together. Hopefully I finish better this April than I did last April.

Dobber Sports Stud

My last pick is in, this has been fun. Thanks to all for allowing and welcoming me.

Absolutely, we ought to do this as a competition - the results only changed in the last few rounds because of the categories - and all drafts will see that. For example, I “gave up” on hits and penalty minutes early on, concentrated on scoring and PPP. And Crawford as 3rd GK because while his injury profile (and Lehner) will likely limit his starts, he’s unlikely to hurt my GAS and Sv%. We’ll see.....

Axeman, you’re right that I’m new to the discussion, but have ONLY played one-year, non-keeper leagues until now, and I’d never had TIME for fantasy ‘til the past couple years. This has been educational and I hope I’m invited back.

Uploaded “signature”
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Uploaded “signature”
    That is awesome! Haha

Sorry to have doubted you early on. Was a pleasure having you on board. Solid looking team too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post

Axeman, you’re right that I’m new to the discussion, but have ONLY played one-year, non-keeper leagues until now, and I’d never had TIME for fantasy ‘til the past couple years. This has been educational and I hope I’m invited back.
    Dr. Brad... thank you for filling in and keeping things running smoothly for us! It was awesome for you to step up and finish it off for us.

As for the invitation... the way things work around here is that you are in, until you choose not to be in. So next year when we set this up... you will get first dibs at participating again!!

Thanks again everyone, good draft! And good luck to everyone in there other drafts!~

​​

Dobber Sports Monster

Thanks everyone for making this a fun draft. Am excited how the standings will play out.

Dobber Sports Stud

I liked the Perron pick to close out !

NOW, I’ve got a 300-player draft upcoming, so who’s the “one” we badly missed? (For the ease of comparison, let’s pretend it’s the same categories and exclude GK’s.)
    Tyler Johnson?
    Robert Thomas?
    Eric Haula?
    Devon Toews?
    Pavel Buchnevich?
    .... or am I nuts??
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson