Page 111 of 132 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 1979

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    While comparing large scales loss of life is useful to understand the scale of impact, it makes more sense to compare health pandemics from the same century:

H1N1 - 12,469 deaths – this was of course a disaster…

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...85023459483653

Covid-19 - 64,603 deaths … and counting
    D'oh!!!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    No,the point is that two completely unrelated stats shouldn't be plunked together purely for dramatic effect. Unless drama is the whole point, of course.
    You mean like Michigan's legislature?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    While comparing large scales loss of life is useful to understand the scale of impact, it makes more sense to compare health pandemics from the same century:

H1N1 - 12,469 deaths – this was of course a disaster…

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...85023459483653

Covid-19 - 64,603 deaths … and counting
    These comparisons seem completely pointless to me. It's like comparing a mosquito bite to cancer. Even if they happen in the same century, how are they comparable?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    These comparisons seem completely pointless to me. It's like comparing a mosquito bite to cancer. Even if they happen in the same century, how are they comparable?
    Uh.... they are both classified as pandemics?

The comparison as about as apt is it gets, many parrallels to draw from. I'm confused by your confusion...

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    You mean like Michigan's legislature?
    Right wing lunacy at its finest. Imagine protesting in Canada while brandishing a loaded assault rifle??

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Right wing lunacy at its finest. Imagine protesting in Canada while brandishing a loaded assault rifle??
    Well not after today's announcement by the Prime Minister.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Imagine thinking that banning ARs will stop mass shootings.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Imagine thinking that banning ARs will stop mass shootings.
    It’s such a ridiculous argument. So if you can’t stop all mass shootings, I guess you shouldn’t try to stop any of them? Using that absurd logic, murder shouldn’t be illegal; after all, making murder illegal didn’t stop murders from happening...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't really think the ban makes Canadians any safer (or if it does it's by such a small amount as to be mostly useless), and view it in much the same way as airport security. A circus designed to make people "feel" safer, even though it likely does not actually do much. I don't own guns. I've shot some for fun with friends before, and it was an enjoyable time, and in that sense it seems rather unfair to punish all of the legal owners who have invested a great deal of their own time and money into the hobby.

I can see both sides here. At the end of the day it's not a big deal either way in my books, but sucks for good people who enjoy the hobby as well.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Ban won't help too much. Might save a few lives over the long haul, but the real problem is guns being smuggled across the border and mental health issues. Most law abiding gun owners are fantastic folks. I agree with stricter gun control measures, especially for the US, but this recent legislation has been rolled out poorly by the Liberals and seems like a political ploy more than a altruistic one.

I do think assault style (or assault looking) rifles are unnecessary. Look at the horror show in Michigan. Those protesters look like a Mexican drug cartel preparing to wipe out a rival gang. What positive steps forward can possibly be accomplished when people show up armed and threatening like that? Who would want to sit down at a table and negotiate with these types of people? It is offensive and disgusting in my opinion and anybody who supports that type of protest should be ashamed of themselves. What kind of example are you setting for your children.... Grow up. If you don't agree with the stay home orders by all means protest. Make your voices heard. Last I read 66% of the electorate in Michigan agree with the stay at home orders but that is no reason why peaceful protests should not be allowed. Threatening the Governor with a small military coup however only makes your position look foolhardy and reckless.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It’s such a ridiculous argument. So if you can’t stop all mass shootings, I guess you shouldn’t try to stop any of them? Using that absurd logic, murder shouldn’t be illegal; after all, making murder illegal didn’t stop murders from happening...

Rylant
    Thinking the ban means anything other than some fancy headlines, that Trudeau can use to make it look like he’s actually doing something... is well, extremely naive. People should be more concerned about the way he’s going about it. Or the fact that it’s going to cost tax payers a boat load of money for literally no reason.

Feelings are irrelevant, facts are facts.

Dobber Sports Ace

I honestly don't understand why any civilian feels the need to own weapons made for the military. They are not for hunting, they are not even necessary for personal protection. If you really feel you need a gun at home to feel safe buy a rifle or handgun. To me it just screams small dick syndrome TBH.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    I honestly don't understand why any civilian feels the need to own weapons made for the military. They are not for hunting, they are not even necessary for personal protection. If you really feel you need a gun at home to feel safe buy a rifle or handgun. To me it just screams small dick syndrome TBH.
    There are many many things in society that are optional and we let people use them or do it. We let people use drugs and alcohol that kill far more people in society. In the grand scheme of things, in Canada, these types of firearms are nearly harmless and way down on the list of things to be worried about. This is not the USA. I think it's pretty silly but I also dont care much either way since it's not important to me. If I was a law abiding owner of these things I would probably be really annoyed.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Thinking the ban means anything other than some fancy headlines, that Trudeau can use to make it look like he’s actually doing something... is well, extremely naive. People should be more concerned about the way he’s going about it. Or the fact that it’s going to cost tax payers a boat load of money for literally no reason.

Feelings are irrelevant, facts are facts.
    Twist my words, ignore the points you can’t dispute and then tell everyone what they should and should not be concerned about. Sounds about right...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

Rylant

Great response. This is how I approach people trying to defend semi-automatic rifle (AR-15 style) ownership in the US. The AR-15 has become the weapon of choice for mass shooters. Sure, those killers would have probably still killed but how about not giving them access to efficient killing machines? The guy in Vegas- maybe he wouldn't have killed 58 and wounded 413 if he didn't have modified AR-15s, high capacity magazines, and bump-stocks making his weapons practically automatic. Maybe he would have only killed 10 or 15 or 20 if he only had some traditional hunting rifles- but that's a helluva lot better than 58. But I guess since we couldn't completely eliminate his ability to commit murder, we throw up our arms, surrender, and put no regulations on weapons. (sarcasm)
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov