Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NHL Rescinds Pride Tape Ban

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: NHL Rescinds Pride Tape Ban

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Great so we have 2 things that don't change based on which political party is in power but we have 1 thing the US military funded sports leagues to keep doing after 9-11, so we have one action that is not political (putting tape on a hockey stick) and one thing that is political (paid endorsement of nationalism). Of note, before anyone tries a gotcha, the military no longer pays for forced nationalism because the got in trouble from DoD for doing so, however the national anthem inherently promotes nationalism, which inherently is political.
    Predictable.... a question goes unanswered when you know the answer doesn't help make your case.

Has anyone ever showed up to a hockey game and been not allowed in?
    Has anyone ever been asked if the are LGBTQ when they try to enter an NHL game?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Predictable.... a question goes unanswered when you know the answer doesn't help make your case.

Much like you, I haven’t witnessed every person enter every hockey game on the planet, and so your second question is inherently unanswerable. The law of averages would suggest someone has been asked that question at some point, whether by another fan or a ticket attendee, but at best someone could only assume in either direction. Inherently, people have been denied entry to hockey games for a whole host of different reasons, so the answer to the first question is undeniably yes. Your constant failure at specificity has self-destructed your own strawman.

Predictably, you know you’re stuck on the anthem being political and hockey tape not, so predictably, you’re trying and failing to change the conversation. It’s never “keep politics out of sports” it’s always “keep politics that aren’t my politics” out of sports. Always. Without fail.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Much like you, I haven’t witnessed every person enter every hockey game on the planet, and so your second question is inherently unanswerable. The law of averages would suggest someone has been asked that question at some point, whether by another fan or a ticket attendee, but at best someone could only assume in either direction. Inherently, people have been denied entry to hockey games for a whole host of different reasons, so the answer to the first question is undeniably yes. Your constant failure at specificity has self-destructed your own strawman.

Predictably, you know you’re stuck on the anthem being political and hockey tape not, so predictably, you’re trying and failing to change the conversation. It’s never “keep politics out of sports” it’s always “keep politics that aren’t my politics” out of sports. Always. Without fail.
    The pride tape pushes one political agenda.

If the anthem was really so political then why has no political party ever tried to do away with it.

Dude - it’s a national anthem and every country has their own national anthem.

The national anthem is about the nation - not a political agenda.

Stop trying to convince yourself otherwise - being the self proclaimed smartest person on the forums, you should understand this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The answer to the first question is almost certainly yes, but not lately in our current environment. It's definitely yes if we're considering pro sports in general, since there were ethnicity rules that were pretty strictly enforced by those in charge.

The answer to the second question for pro sports is certainly not a long time ago, becaue people just were generally very in the closet. Almost certainly not lately.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The pride tape pushes one political agenda.

If the anthem was really so political then why has no political party ever tried to do away with it.

Dude - it’s a national anthem and every country has their own national anthem.

The national anthem is about the nation - not a political agenda.

Stop trying to convince yourself otherwise - being the self proclaimed smartest person on the forums, you should understand this.
    Imagine thinking nationalism isn’t political just because it’s present in every country lmao. Just imagine.

I’ve also never once proclaimed myself the smartest person on the forum, but I appreciate you thinking me as such by stating it so often.

Dobber Sports Star

In my experience, MOST people who say "leave the political stuff out of it" are against the issue at hand, personally. It's easier to present by saying "leave out the political stuff" than it is to say "leave out the support for the gay community", because then you are a dick. Also, most of the time, they don't TRULY care about leaving out the "political" stuff, which makes that statement disingenuous as well.

Also, it's absurd to suggest that, playing the National Anthem at sporting events is NOT political. If it's your contention that playing the National Anthem at sporting events is NOT political, then why would PROTESTING during the playing of the National Antehm at sporting events be considered political? Why are so many people on the Right, losing their mind over the Protests during the National Anthem if it's NOT political?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    In my experience, MOST people who say "leave the political stuff out of it" are against the issue at hand, personally. It's easier to present by saying "leave out the political stuff" than it is to say "leave out the support for the gay community", because then you are a dick. Also, most of the time, they don't TRULY care about leaving out the "political" stuff, which makes that statement disingenuous as well.

Also, it's absurd to suggest that, playing the National Anthem at sporting events is NOT political. If it's your contention that playing the National Anthem at sporting events is NOT political, then why would PROTESTING during the playing of the National Antehm at sporting events be considered political? Why are so many people on the Right, losing their mind over the Protests during the National Anthem if it's NOT political?

Rylant
    Well said. Thank you

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports All-Star

TY Lawman for starting this thread because my interest in Cricket has now peaked.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Rylant
    Just recently there was a protest at a landfill site....does that make landfill sites political?
    Now I got to start thinking about whether I should send my garbage to a garbage dump... or if I should just burn it in my back yard?

People protest during the national anthem because they know they have an audience.
    It does not make the national anthem political in and of itself.

Or if it does... then we should never mow our grass...
    Because when Kaepernick protested he kneeled...and his knee touched grass... and now therefore grass is political... now that my friend is absurd.

Being able to separate the national anthem and protesting while the national anthem is on... that is not absurd.

​​

Dobber Sports Star

Just recently there was a protest at a landfill site....does that make landfill sites political?
    Now I got to start thinking about whether I should send my garbage to a garbage dump... or if I should just burn it in my back yard?

People protest during the national anthem because they know they have an audience.
    It does not make the national anthem political in and of itself.

Or if it does... then we should never mow our grass...
    Because when Kaepernick protested he kneeled...and his knee touched grass... and now therefore grass is political... now that my friend is absurd.

Being able to separate the national anthem and protesting while the national anthem is on... that is not absurd.
    Equating my argument with the grass being political is pretty ridiculous. Is there no limit to how absurd an analogy you are willing to make?

Listen, there are many reasons that people, and specifically Americans want to play their National Anthem at sporting events. Patriotism and Politics go hand in hand here. If you aren't able to see how playing the National Anthem before sporting events may have some political connections to it, I clearly am not going to be able to change your mind. I am guessing however, that you do know how it could be considered political, however you are being disingenuous about it. As I said earlier, I pretty firmly believe that your true motive here is not because you are some huge advocate to keep politics out of sports. It's because the optics of "Hey let's keep politics out of hockey" looks better than "Hey let's keep that gay stuff out of hockey". Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Rylant

Equating my argument with the grass being political is pretty ridiculous. Is there no limit to how absurd an analogy you are willing to make?

Listen, there are many reasons that people, and specifically Americans want to play their National Anthem at sporting events. Patriotism and Politics go hand in hand here. If you aren't able to see how playing the National Anthem before sporting events may have some political connections to it, I clearly am not going to be able to change your mind. I am guessing however, that you do know how it could be considered political, however you are being disingenuous about it. As I said earlier, I pretty firmly believe that your true motive here is not because you are some huge advocate to keep politics out of sports. It's because the optics of "Hey let's keep politics out of hockey" looks better than "Hey let's keep that gay stuff out of hockey". Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Rylant
    Hard to believe that some of us still support hockey for the game that is being played right?

And when we disagree with you try painting us as being anti-gay or racist or whatever other negative characteristic you so choose at that given time.
    Typical move from the ol' playbook there.
    Resort to attacking the character as opposed to the discussion.

I have never once made a comment that should lead you to believe what you believe.
    I don't care if it is Pride night, or Filipino Heritage Night or 10 Commandments Night.

I go to hockey to enjoy the game the hockey game.
    And I go to a hockey forum to participate in some hockey talk..

​​

Dobber Sports Star

Hard to believe that some of us still support hockey for the game that is being played right?

And when we disagree with you try painting us as being anti-gay or racist or whatever other negative characteristic you so choose at that given time.
    Typical move from the ol' playbook there.
    Resort to attacking the character as opposed to the discussion.

I have never once made a comment that should lead you to believe what you believe.
    I don't care if it is Pride night, or Filipino Heritage Night or 10 Commandments Night.

I go to hockey to enjoy the game the hockey game.
    And I go to a hockey forum to participate in some hockey talk..
    It's ridiculous to suggest that the reason why I think the way I do, is on the grounds that I disagree with you. You think the color Blue is best and I think the color Green is best. THAT is a disagreement and I promise you, that I wouldn't come to the conclusion that you are anti-gay or racist because of that disagreement.

I came to the conclusion I did about what I figured your motives are, by reading a number of your 19 thousand posts on various topics. Contrary to your silly suggestion, you MIGHT be painted as "anti-gay" or "racist" because of your previous "anti-gay" or "racist" comments, and not some mysterious "disagreement".

Rylant

It's ridiculous to suggest that the reason why I think the way I do, is on the grounds that I disagree with you. You think the color Blue is best and I think the color Green is best. THAT is a disagreement and I promise you, that I wouldn't come to the conclusion that you are anti-gay or racist because of that disagreement.

I came to the conclusion I did about what I figured your motives are, by reading a number of your 19 thousand posts on various topics. Contrary to your silly suggestion, you MIGHT be painted as "anti-gay" or "racist" because of your previous "anti-gay" or "racist" comments, and not some mysterious "disagreement".

Rylant
    I promise you that you are wrong.
    I have never made any anti-gay or racists comments.

So for you to state that I have is a typical attempt to label someone that doesn't agree with you and paint them as something they are not.

I am going to head back to the hockey forums and participate with people that actually want to talk hockey and not politics.

​​

Dobber Sports Star

I promise you that you are wrong.
    I am going to head back to the hockey forums and participate with people that actually want to talk hockey and not politics.
    If you aren't happy to participate in the "not politics" discussion, that's fine, do what you need to do. It does seem strange to ensure that everyone knows your opinion first on the topic, and THEN make a point of telling everyone that you are going to leave the discussion. And negative rep the people for the comments you don't like on the way out! Best of luck to you, in the "not politics" threads!

Rylant

If you aren't happy to participate in the "not politics" discussion, that's fine, do what you need to do. It does seem strange to ensure that everyone knows your opinion first on the topic, and THEN make a point of telling everyone that you are going to leave the discussion. And negative rep the people for the comments you don't like on the way out! Best of luck to you, in the "not politics" threads!

Rylant
    Bet they're harassing you in the DMs too, it's the playbook lol. "I want to talk hockey not politics!" *proceeds to engage in every non-hockey thread on the forum* "ok but NOW I'm leaving" *makes more comments* "really though I mean it this time I'm gone!"