Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Don Cherry no longer with Coach's Corner

Keep it between the lines folks, please and thanks.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quick thought: If you're overly triggered by people having opinions opposed to your own then perhaps the internet is not the best place to spend your time.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Quick thought: If you're overly triggered by people having opinions opposed to your own then perhaps the internet is not the best place to spend your time.
    I agree.

Also if you are in the "'The Left' or 'The Right' think like [this]" style you need to realize that people on said "left and right" are driving your thinking this way and you really should just work on being happy and living outside a bubble
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    If people aren't allowed to question the government and call it what they want to call it, then what DID you do it for? The US is clearly NOT fascist, but it does share plenty of the negative qualities associated with fascism, so...
    I served to protect people’s right to say what they want and I also served to protect my right to share my thoughts on their statement. Freedom of speech does not mean you get to say whatever you want in a vacum. Ask Don Cherry. As someone else stated, it means you can’t lose your freedom for saying what you want. My post has been deleted and his has not so obviously we don’t get that here. That’s fine. It’s a hockey forum and really this whole thread is compete shite anyway. Thanks to those who were able to see my post and add to my rep for it.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    I agree.

Also if you are in the "'The Left' or 'The Right' think like [this]" style you need to realize that people on said "left and right" are driving your thinking this way and you really should just work on being happy and living outside a bubble
    "The Left" and "The Right" are just more generalizations. They're used to make assumptions about people, usually in negative ways. It's easy because it doesn't require much brain power.

We need fewer generalizations. Get to know others and like/dislike them based on who they are.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I served to protect people’s rights to say what they want and I also served to protect my right to share my thoughts on their statement. Freedom of speech does not mean you get to say whatever you want in a vacum. Ask Don Cherry. As someone else stated, it means you can’t lose your freedom for saying what you want. My post has been deleted and his has not so obviously we don’t get that here. That’s fine. It’s a hockey forum and really this whole thread is compete shite anyway. Thanks to those who were able to see my post and add to my rep for it.
    Thank you for your service.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks13 View Post
    I’m a Canadian of colour (not that it really matters but since it’s the politically correct thing nowadays so why not mention it) - born and raised - due to my parents who were Canadian immigrants themselves. Here are my thoughts:

What Don said was wrong in terms of how it was worded but he had good intentions behind it. And it’s okay to believe that as things don’t have to be one way or the other; a lot of times, the answer lies in the middle and this is just another case imho.

I really do think he was trying to convey the right message but said it in the worst way possible. I personally don’t have a huge problem with it but I can see why others do. He ultimately made it an “us vs them” thing with his wording which is obviously where the problem lies. It was a hypocritical thing to say because he singled out outsiders as not paying enough respects to vets+etc when born and raised Canadians themselves do the same. Again just poor choice of words on his part. All he had to do was be classic Cherry and instead say something along the lines of “all you people out there,” but he went with “you people who come here” and singled them out seemingly out the blue.

It doesn’t help that Rogers/SNet has been looking to phase out Coaches Corner. Ever since their takeover of the national broadcast rights, Coaches Corner got slashed significantly. Only got something like 2-3 minutes of airtime and it was apparent how congested they forced it to become. Just wasn’t the same as before.

...I’m going to really miss Don and tuning in on Saturday’s. Sucks to see him go and it end like this. Feels like a part of hockey heritage has been taken away from me. Pretty bummed out about it all tbh. Saturday’s will never be the same and I’ll be less inclined to view games certainly on that day as tuning in specifically for Coaches Corner was synonymous with HNIC.

Last remarks - I just hope people can be open minded to see both sides. Let’s not act like Don didn’t want to convey a message dear to his heart on Remembrance Day to honour those who served but let’s not also act like he didn’t butcher his wording either.
    Literally the only post in this thread worth reading.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

The Great One

Also - it has been pointed out to me, rightly so, that my opinion was not the issue. The problem is that I called Wonko a twat. It is true that one must express one’s opinion here in the intertet (if only we could all be as above it all as Eric is) without resorting to personal insults. I am sorry for that aspect of my post and agree that it should have been deleted.
    Cheers!
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Genius

Honestly all the back and forth aside it's just shocking that "you people" in the context of wearing a poppy hurt so many peoples feelings. Like come on we need to be a little tougher than that. I have kids and if they were offended by that little, I would teach them to ignore the comment and don't let such a minor thing bother their mental well being. It's not like he said "you people" stink or "you people" are evil (using this as context not a literal opinion).

Does anyone else not find this to be a problem? Sure progress as a society but "you people" can't really hurt people that much. Also from what I can see it's mostly the white knights (North American Caucasians) who are all up in arms about it not the immigrants themselves. From the comments I ready they either state it was taken out of context or their disappointed in what he said but don't feel like he should be fired.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Honestly all the back and forth aside it's just shocking that "you people" in the context of wearing a poppy hurt so many peoples feelings. Like come on we need to be a little tougher than that. I have kids and if they were offended by that little, I would teach them to ignore the comment and don't let such a minor thing bother their mental well being. It's not like he said "you people" stink or "you people" are evil (using this as context not a literal opinion).

Does anyone else not find this to be a problem? Sure progress as a society but "you people" can't really hurt people that much. Also from what I can see it's mostly the white knights (North American Caucasians) who are all up in arms about it not the immigrants themselves. From the comments I ready they either state it was taken out of context or their disappointed in what he said but don't feel like he should be fired.
    Your bubble is practically impenetrable if you think the only people upset about this is caucasian Canadians. Basically every prominent Canadian person of colour in hockey media has written articles and tweets about how problematic Cherry's words were.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Your bubble is practically impenetrable if you think the only people upset about this is caucasian Canadians. Basically every prominent Canadian person of colour in hockey media has written articles and tweets about how problematic Cherry's words were.
    Alright cool and I am sure they got a lot of clicks. You don't have to be very brave to join the MOB. But can you honestly say, that what he said was that offensive? Would you want that to be a base line on what is considering over the line in our society?

Dobber Sports Jedi

I get the freedom of speech side of the argument... but this isn't about freedom of speech.
    It's about an employee - employer relationship that happens to be run in the public eye

the key thing to remember here is that Cherry was an employee of Sportsnet and acting as an employee during Coaches Corner.
    This wasn't a private podcast or blog or tweet.
    He was being paid by this employer at the time of his infraction

Said employer has a code of conduct - within that code of conduct one would expect there to be expectations of behaviours & how to present oneself when representing their employer.

This was not his first inappropriate comment as an employee of Sportsnet.
    I think if they have a personnel file for Cherry - there are several infractions noted in a similar vain.
    You can only give an employee so many chances before irreparable damage is done to the image of the company by one person.

He does have a right to his opinion and freedom of speech does exist.
    What was forgotten was that he has an existing agreement with his employer where he agreed to follow their code of conduct while working and representing their company.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

He can go on speaking tours to express his opinions on everything. That includes hockey, veterans, poppies, fighting, politics, immigrants and pretty much anything else.
    He can get a job with another company to cover hockey or other things.
    He can continue to visit veterans and cemeteries.
    He can continue to fight for animal rights.

The only thing that changes is he won't be on TV during the 1st intermission on Saturday nights. That's it.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I get the freedom of speech side of the argument... but this isn't about freedom of speech.
    It's about an employee - employer relationship that happens to be run in the public eye

the key thing to remember here is that Cherry was an employee of Sportsnet and acting as an employee during Coaches Corner.
    This wasn't a private podcast or blog or tweet.
    He was being paid by this employer at the time of his infraction

Said employer has a code of conduct - within that code of conduct one would expect there to be expectations of behaviours & how to present oneself when representing their employer.

This was not his first inappropriate comment as an employee of Sportsnet.
    I think if they have a personnel file for Cherry - there are several infractions noted in a similar vain.
    You can only give an employee so many chances before irreparable damage is done to the image of the company by one person.

He does have a right to his opinion and freedom of speech does exist.
    What was forgotten was that he has an existing agreement with his employer where he agreed to follow their code of conduct while working and representing their company.
    These are good points. There are so many good points on both end of the argument. Yes his employer had every right to fire his employee based on the image they want to portray. What I am really struggling with is the public out cry. Why is this so offensive? I mean on the edge yes. So offensive that it's causing emotional distress, that articles are being written in the masses. That people on social media are calling for Cherry's head (check on that one). Really?! Really?!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Yes his employer had every right to fire his employee based on the image they want to portray. What I am really struggling with is the public out cry. Why is this so offensive?
    Different people will interpret his comment differently. I think it's a mistake to over-analyze one comment. He has a LONG history of making this type of comment.