5. Miller

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lundqvist
    Rinne
    Quick
    Ward
    Miller

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Impossible to say before we see where some defensemen go but I would go with

Lundy
    Quick
    Rinne (if they keep one of the big 2)
    Price
    Smith

Not sexy picks compared to what everyone else has been saying but it is what it is.

Price put up good numbers this year despite being on an awful team which should improve some and is an absolute work horse.
    Smith is fantastic this year and has a good system and defense around him so I expect that to continue.

Bryz is way to inconsistant for me to put in the top 5 same with Fluery.

And just for fun...
    Goalies I won't touch unless they slip way past where they should:
    Rinne - Deep playoff run and a lot of off season questions. While I want him to be on my team his draft price is going to be to high after this season.
    Luongo - Good goalie but he probably won't be on a good defensive team most likely. I think his name value is higher than his real value next year.
    Thomas - He is just to old for me to be comfortable in spending a fairly high pick

Value Goalies-
    Kipper - Workhorse who quietly put together a great season. He is older and the Flames aren't great so I can see him slipping
    Hiller - Bad season but a good goalie
    Ward - Not a great year last year but a defensive minded coach and good talent can result in a huge turnaround.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think you guys are a bit nutty pegging Rinne top 3 or even top 5 without knowing what is going to happen with Suter/Weber.

Weber is an $8m/year D-man.
    Suter is probably $6.5m or $7m/year D-man.
    Is that money there when they have a ton of forwards that need to be signed AND better depth at D than F?
    Management can at least look at Klein/Josi/Blum/Ellis and fill it with UFA D-men.
    But finding forwards to keep the game "exciting" and "sell tickets" is going to be of critical importance for a Southern team like Nashville.

The team has a lot... and I mean a LOT... of guys with expiring contracts.
    A big part of a goalie's performance is reading the play in front of him.
    This has as much to do with knowing your teammates strengths/weaknesses as it does with reading your opponents strengths/weaknesses.
    With only 4 of their top 9 forwards under contract - I think Nashville will commit to trying to stretch their cap space among filling out their forwards at $3m or $4m/each.
    This leaves NO cash for Suter/Weber.

Ryan Suter is as good as gone, Nashville can't afford him.
    Shea Weber... I think he's going to get an offer sheet for $7.8m/year. This is at the top end of the compensation ladder that equals (2)1st rounders, (1)2nd, (1)3rd.
    I don't Nashville will have the cap space to match that and still round out a team. This is a team that spends only around $50m of the $64m cap space.
    Nashville will take the draft picks and say "We don't have the cash flow to re-sign Shea Weber".

I'm going to bump this thread next December when Rinne is outside the top 15 in GAA & SV%. (Cue: Evil Laugh)
    Last edited by Pengwin7; April 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I think you guys are absolutely nutty pegging Rinne top 3 or even top 5 without knowing what is going to happen with Suter/Weber.
    Is that money there when they have a ton of forwards that need to be signed AND better depth at D than F?
    Management can at least look at Klein/Josi/Blum/Ellis and fill it with UFA D-men.
    But finding forwards to keep the game "exciting" and "sell tickets" is going to be of critical importance for a Southern team like Nashville.

This has as much to do with knowing your teammates strengths/weaknesses as it does with reading your opponents strengths/weaknesses.
    With only 4 of their top 9 forwards under contract - I think Nashville will commit to trying to stretch their cap space among filling out their forwards at $3m or $4m/each.

Shea Weber... I said it once (and hold to it), I think he'll get an offer sheet and I think Nashville will take the picks. (Likely two 1sts, 2nd, 3rd... if not FOUR 1sts)

I'm going to bump this thread next December when Rinne is outside the top 15 in GAA & SV%. (Cue: Evil Laugh)
    Still a fantastic goalie and well I see Nashville keeping one of Weber/Suter, the guys they have to fill in are hardly in short supply.

Josi is 100% ready to step in if Suter is gone. Kid is a stud. So if Suter goes and Weber stays... really don't see a major change. IF Weber AND Suter are gone... yea, obviously that's going to make a difference. But Nashville still plays a solid defensive system and they already have Josi to fill one of the gaps and one of Ekholm/Ellis might do an OK (in no way am I saying they will fill the Weber/Suter void) filling in.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think you guys are a bit nutty pegging Rinne top 3 or even top 5 without knowing what is going to happen with Suter/Weber.

Shea Weber... I think he's going to get an offer sheet for $7.8m/year. This is at the top end of the compensation ladder that equals (2)1st rounders, (1)2nd, (1)3rd.
    I don't Nashville will have the cap space to match that and still round out a team. This is a team that spends only around $50m of the $64m cap space.
    Nashville will take the draft picks and say "We don't have the cash flow to re-sign Shea Weber".

I think you are underestimating Trotz, Rinne, and their defensive depth which includes both defenseman and forwards. With either or both of Suter and Weber gone, Rinne will still be easily top 10 if not top 5.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Why do people keep saying Nashville won't have the money for both Weber and Suter? They are four million above the cap floor, and the management has said money won't be an issue and they'll be a cap team next season etc. If Suter and Weber want to stay, the money will absolutely be there. Now, they could always not want to stay, but why'd they want to leave a top team like the Preds for an aging Wings, for example?
    Last edited by Username; April 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I don't get how Rinne wouldn't be considered top 5 even if Suter and Weber are gone. He's not a product of Nashville's defense..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm with Pengwin7 on this, while I don't think Rinne will drop out of the top 15 I don't see him as a top 5 lock (if I had to guess he still will be if they keep Weber). As I said previously I don't plan on drafting him unless he falls considerably. There is to much going on and no rookie or second year player is going to come in and "replace" Suter much less Weber. Like I said a lot will depend on the off season, Rinne is good, there is no question about that in my mind. That being said he is in a James Neal situation, a very good player in the perfect situation. Nashville does have a lot of good young defensemen coming up but that doesn't mean their defense isn't going to suffer greatly with the loss of Suter/Weber.

If these prospects are good enough to replace Suter next year they would already be solid and established NHL players not promising prospects.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Anybody remember Anaheim in 2006-2009?

2006-2007 Giguere 2.26 GAA (5th)
    2007-2008 Giguere 2.12 GAA (3rd) / Hiller 2.06 GAA
    2008-2009 Hiller 2.39 GAA (7th)
    2009-2010 Hiller 2.73 GAA (27th)
    2010-2011 Hiller 2.56 GAA (20th)

Two different goalies, same team.
    Both did well in Anaheim until summer 2009.

Anybody want to venture a guess what changed for Anaheim in summer 2009?

Anybody remember Anaheim in 2006-2009?

2006-2007 Giguere 2.26 GAA (5th)
    2007-2008 Giguere 2.12 GAA (3rd) / Hiller 2.06 GAA
    2008-2009 Hiller 2.39 GAA (7th)
    2009-2010 Hiller 2.73 GAA (27th)
    2010-2011 Hiller 2.56 GAA (20th)

Two different goalies, same team.
    Both did well in Anaheim until summer 2009.

Anybody want to venture a guess what changed for Anaheim in summer 2009?
    ...So what you're telling me is that after Hiller attended Michael Jackson's memorial service, Hiller became incredibly depressed and therefore the reason for his drop in numbers is due to the death of his idol, Michael Jackson?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

(Derailed! LOL)

How about when Martin Brodeur's GAA took a hit in the 2005-2006 season?
    Any guesses on that one?

(Derailed! LOL)

How about when Martin Brodeur's GAA took a hit in the 2005-2006 season?
    Any guesses on that one?
    He was spending too much time at the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort which had just opened in September, 2005?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by CarbombCarcillo View Post
    Lundy and Thomas make me nervous since they essentially split starts with their backups (No start= No points). Any advice here?
    I'm in a league that counts saves like yours, and I think this is a really valid point, especially in that format.

Torts made a point of playing Biron tons this year, despite Lundqvist being a clear #1. How much do you guys think this hurts his value in a weekly H2H fantasy points league? In that format who, if anyone, would you take over him?

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    I'm in a league that counts saves like yours, and I think this is a really valid point, especially in that format.

Torts made a point of playing Biron tons this year, despite Lundqvist being a clear #1. How much do you guys think this hurts his value in a weekly H2H fantasy points league? In that format who, if anyone, would you take over him?
    Still take him #1... however, in leagues that count saves and/or GP, Ward and Kiprusoff are criminally underrated.