Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pick Two: Skinner, Yakupov, Granlund, Tarasenko?

Banned

You're right, Skinner shouldn't be compared with these players - because he is more proven and is already established while they are just prospects. Clearly Yakupov and Skinner right here although a case could be made for Granlund. He's underwhelming a bit for me though.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yakupov and Granlund for me
    Roster Requirements
    (2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 3 F, 4 D, 2 G)Totals:25 15 Starters, 10Bench, +4 IR - Head To Head - Weekly Lineups - Stats: PTS ONLY- 1PT/START(G) 2PTS/WIN - 5PTS/SHUTOUT
    Record: 17-7-0 (2015-16 Champ)

C: Seguin, Giroux
    LW: T.Hall, Panarin
    RW: P. Kane, Palmieri
    F: Galchenyuk, Domi, Landeskog
    D: Subban, Ekman-Larrson, Suter, Vatanen

Bench: T.Hertl, V.Nishushkin, Gallagher, Pulkkinen, Mike Reilly, Korpisalo
    Goalies: J.Allen, Lundqvist

Farm Team: Rantanen(RW) Barzal(C) Provorov(D) Nurse(D) Kylington(D)

Follow Me https://twitter.com/#!/MRHOCKEYLOVER87

Dobber Sports Prodigy

replace skinner for galchenyuk. which 2 would you rather have in a pts-only keeper.?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by tequilamonster View Post
    once and for all. skinners going into his 3rd year. how can he even be compared to gman, yak or tarasenko?lmao

the OP wants someone with sophomore talent yet Skinners past being a sophomore. Im not impressed by those choosing a Skinner as duh? he already has put up NHL #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    You're right, Skinner shouldn't be compared with these players - because he is more proven and is already established while they are just prospects. Clearly Yakupov and Skinner right here although a case could be made for Granlund. He's underwhelming a bit for me though.
    Yes if you want to play it even Skinner should not be in this list, but this is case specific to my pool.. where I have 2 back to back picks in a limited keeper with a 5 year keeper limit. The owner of Malkin has to trade or return him to the FA pool for next year's draft (lose him for nothing), so I want to be the guy who gets Malkin locked down for the next 5 years. My goal is also to go for the win next year since I am preparing to give it all to upgrade to Malkin. This means I'm looking for keeper replacements hence the 4 guys I listed and my request for who would have a better sophomore year. So I don't see why he can't be compared here, I have 2 picks and these are the high profile guys with superstar potential available come draft day.

I'm a huge fan of Skinner, simply because I had him for his great rookie year and didn't want my high hopes bias is not causing me to rank him too high.

Don't let me derail the discussion though, good information going on here and really appreciate it

Only other guys that might be worth drafting this high are Jordan Staal, Chris Stewart, and Tyler Ennis..
    Last edited by BlackGold; July 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I can't believe how many people would take Yakupov over the other two prospects.

Skinner is a lock, but after that, Yakupov would be last out of the other three that I would take. Granlund's situtation is identical, if not better now in minny with the Parise and Suter signings. Tarasenko has been playing against men for a couple seasons now and has proven he isn't a one dimensional scoring forward. I've watched Yakupov play for his junior team...if i had to compare him to anyone it would be Semin..which is good and all, but if you guys think he's the next Ovechkin or Malkin, you are in for a shock.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StrongArms View Post
    I can't believe how many people would take Yakupov over the other two prospects.

Skinner is a lock, but after that, Yakupov would be last out of the other three that I would take. Granlund's situtation is identical, if not better now in minny with the Parise and Suter signings. Tarasenko has been playing against men for a couple seasons now and has proven he isn't a one dimensional scoring forward. I've watched Yakupov play for his junior team...if i had to compare him to anyone it would be Semin..which is good and all, but if you guys think he's the next Ovechkin or Malkin, you are in for a shock.
    He will not be Ovechkin or Malkin or anybody that good, but he plays NOTHING like Semin. Not even a comparable. He plays a high-intensity game. He could compare to Semin in stats but definitely not in his play style.

The Great One

He will not be Ovechkin or Malkin or anybody that good, but he plays NOTHING like Semin. Not even a comparable. He plays a high-intensity game. He could compare to Semin in stats but definitely not in his play style.
    300% agree- thats about as bad a comparison as I think Ive heard- no offense- completely different players. Id trade my Granlund for Nail 8 days of the week, but nobody in my league is crazy enough to trade for Granlund- not straight up anyways. Hopefully they can buy into dobbers hype here and I can get Yakupov+ lmao!

Dobber Sports Stud

clearly yak is the 'trendy' pick right now but it will be interesting to see how he fares on a young EDM team as opposed to gman on new offensive power squad like minny. Im pretty sure Yak will not be 8 days a week straight up better than granlund especially when yak is a one dimensional goal scorer whereas gman can do both. gman seems to be getting dismissed rather easily. something tells me that dobber knows and many other experts are correct on gman. n backstrom was considered a sure thing as well and he did not dissapoint. gman will only shock the fantasy naysayers not the NHL scouts.

Banned

clearly yak is the 'trendy' pick right now but it will be interesting to see how he fares on a young EDM team as opposed to gman on new offensive power squad like minny. Im pretty sure Yak will not be 8 days a week straight up better than granlund especially when yak is a one dimensional goal scorer whereas gman can do both. gman seems to be getting dismissed rather easily. something tells me that dobber knows and many other experts are correct on gman. n backstrom was considered a sure thing as well and he did not dissapoint. gman will only shock the fantasy naysayers not the NHL scouts.
    1) Yakupov is a good playmaker as well.

2) Granlund is not going to be a big goal scorer at the NHL level. His game is playmaking.

3) Backstrom was a surer bet than Granlund. Biggest difference being size and physicality. Experts and scouts wonder if Granlund's game will fully translate at the NHL level.

4) I don't think anyone is "dismissing" Granlund by picking Skinner and Yakupov over him. All 4 of these guys are great players, and all 4 will not be big time, 100 point type superstars so they all have similar upside at the end of the day. If you want goals, Yak and Skinner are better than Granlund. The NHL scouts love Granlund, but if they would rank them right now then most would probably put Yakupov over him, but we will never know that as both will be NHLers this season.

Dobber Sports Stud

1) Yakupov is a good playmaker as well.

2) Granlund is not going to be a big goal scorer at the NHL level. His game is playmaking.

3) Backstrom was a surer bet than Granlund. Biggest difference being size and physicality. Experts and scouts wonder if Granlund's game will fully translate at the NHL level.

4) I don't think anyone is "dismissing" Granlund by picking Skinner and Yakupov over him. All 4 of these guys are great players, and all 4 will not be big time, 100 point type superstars so they all have similar upside at the end of the day. If you want goals, Yak and Skinner are better than Granlund. The NHL scouts love Granlund, but if they would rank them right now then most would probably put Yakupov over him, but we will never know that as both will be NHLers this season.
    fair enough, however, Giroux was once considered a playmaker and not a goalscorer. I argued with many at the time that NHL players are not either 1) goalscorer or 2) playmaker(assist heavy) but instead there is a 3rd category with players that can do both......Giroux can do both and so can Granlund.

will Granlund outgoal yak throughout their career? if they both hit their ceiling than probably not BUT Granlund may very well put up the bigger POINT totals while scoring 30 plus goals.

Yak is not really considered a playmaker by any standard. hes a primary goalscorer who will get assists just because hes on the ice with the top line. his goals will out # his assists

Skinner has been dismissed on my end from this conversation as he has 2 years worth of totals and should not be compared to rookies

Dobber Sports Stud

here is hockey futures analysis of yak:

Talent Analysis

Yakupov is considered the best pure goal-scorer from the 2012 NHL Draft. In addition to great hands, Yakupov may be the best skater in the draft. The main negative for Yakupov is that he's more of a pure finisher than an overall offensive talent; he needs to work on involving his teammates more and setting up plays. The smallish Yakupov also experienced some injury problems in 2011-12, something that could be a problem in an NHL increasingly ruled by big men.

here is their analysis of gman:

Talent Analysis

A superlative playmaker and puckhandler, Granlund's upside seems to be that of an NHL All-Star.

Banned

TM - how come skinner's concusion makes him damaged goods, yet granlund had a similar concussion and he is golden....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    TM - how come skinner's concusion makes him damaged goods, yet granlund had a similar concussion and he is golden....
    Actually, Granlund has already had 2 confirmed concussions. I'm interested to hear TM's answer on this as well.

And TM, you're completely off on Yakupov. Yes he's a good goal scorer, that's probably what separated him from the rest of the 2012 class. But to say he has no playmaking skills is simply false.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Prodigy

ppg in his rookie year. book it.

Banned

here is hockey futures analysis of yak:

Talent Analysis

Yakupov is considered the best pure goal-scorer from the 2012 NHL Draft. In addition to great hands, Yakupov may be the best skater in the draft. The main negative for Yakupov is that he's more of a pure finisher than an overall offensive talent; he needs to work on involving his teammates more and setting up plays. The smallish Yakupov also experienced some injury problems in 2011-12, something that could be a problem in an NHL increasingly ruled by big men.

here is their analysis of gman:

Talent Analysis

A superlative playmaker and puckhandler, Granlund's upside seems to be that of an NHL All-Star.
    I really don't see the point you're making here. And it's HF, c'mon TM...