Thread: Trade Weber Now?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Trade Weber Now?

I know there is another thread on Weber but this is a different question and intended for leagues with peripheral stats (In a straight points league, Weber is just another 45ish point dman, which is top 15 or fringe top 10. In fact Weber's only been top 10 in dman scoring twice, once at 9 and once at 10, the rest have been between 11 and 20).

It's arguable that Weber has hit his peak play. 16-18 goals, 45-50 points, 160 plus hits, 110 blocks, 230 shots, 50 PIM's. He's arguably the best multi-cat dman you can get, and what's more, likely a top multi-cat player across the board.

But do you trade him now? His value is never going to be higher. He's seen as one of the best dman in the game, he's seen as physically dominant, and he just signed a deal with one of the best teams in the league right now (coincidently, a team that's largest weakness is a top dman. Yeah, yeah goaltending too but I'd bet a Weber type dman fixes that big time).

He could get an astronomical amount.

So I ask, do you trade him, and what do you ask for him?
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

he can't be traded to any other team for 1 year, the Flyers would give up to 4 1st round picks, If the Flyers and the Preds work something else out, Picks could be returned and in a separate transaction players could go to Nashville
    Kucherov , Pastrnak , Guentzel Miller, Rantanen
    Teravainen , Cirelli, Nelson , Konecny

Ekblad, Girard, Pionk, Parayko , Graves

Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck , Korpisalo

FARM TEAM --Brannstrom, Drysdale

League Champion-2007-08,2008-09 , 2015-16, 2017-18

Scoring is, G,A,PTS, PPG, PPA, GWG, +/-, SHOTS, GOALIE, W, SAVE %, GAA, SHUTOUT
    12 TEAM H2H, TOTAL KEEPER, NO SALARY CAP.
    ROSTERS-NEED TO START- 6 FOWARDS,4 DEE,2 GOALIES
    6 BENCH PLAYERS.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well, in a league like yours, Weber obliterates the point-system regardless of whether he is in Nashville or in Philly.

The beauty of a guy like Weber is that regardless of how many points he scores, one thing you can count on his for him to have sparkling peripherals, which is why I think in your settings it makes him much more valuable than high-upside defensemen that have so-so peripherals. I don't see him as a defenseman that you need to sell-high on.

But if you were thinking about trading him, I wouldn't trade him now. To me I see two scenarios:

Weber stays in Nashville - Value is about the same...you either keep him or trade him for whatever you think you might have gotten for him before. Personally i'd keep him.

Weber goes to Philly - Value shoots up and I'm asking for the frigging moon if I'm dealing him. If people don't pony up the goods, I laugh and keep him.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

oh, I'm sorry, all the talk has been Nashville and the Flyers, I wasn't thinking fantasy, sorry, my fault...
    Kucherov , Pastrnak , Guentzel Miller, Rantanen
    Teravainen , Cirelli, Nelson , Konecny

Ekblad, Girard, Pionk, Parayko , Graves

Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck , Korpisalo

FARM TEAM --Brannstrom, Drysdale

League Champion-2007-08,2008-09 , 2015-16, 2017-18

Scoring is, G,A,PTS, PPG, PPA, GWG, +/-, SHOTS, GOALIE, W, SAVE %, GAA, SHUTOUT
    12 TEAM H2H, TOTAL KEEPER, NO SALARY CAP.
    ROSTERS-NEED TO START- 6 FOWARDS,4 DEE,2 GOALIES
    6 BENCH PLAYERS.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by BOB SOLORIO View Post
    he can't be traded to any other team for 1 year, the Flyers would give up to 4 1st round picks, If the Flyers and the Preds work something else out, Picks could be returned and in a separate transaction players could go to Nashville
    Yeah I know about that. I was more talking in fantasy terms :P

Thanks though!

Haha you just posted something on it.
    Last edited by theIceWookie; July 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM.
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Well, in a league like yours, Weber obliterates the point-system regardless of whether he is in Nashville or in Philly.

The beauty of a guy like Weber is that regardless of how many points he scores, one thing you can count on his for him to have sparkling peripherals, which is why I think in your settings it makes him much more valuable than high-upside defensemen that have so-so peripherals. I don't see him as a defenseman that you need to sell-high on.

But if you were thinking about trading him, I wouldn't trade him now. To me I see two scenarios:

Weber stays in Nashville - Value is about the same...you either keep him or trade him for whatever you think you might have gotten for him before. Personally i'd keep him.

Weber goes to Philly - Value shoots up and I'm asking for the frigging moon if I'm dealing him. If people don't pony up the goods, I laugh and keep him.
    Exactly. I'd have no problem keeping him, like you said his peripherals are insane and he's been damn consistent with them. If I'm forced to keep him I wouldn't be sad at all.

I'm more looking at is an opportunity. I'm a big fan but I'm playing fantasy hockey. If a trade can bring me a league win than I'm not going to turn it down simply because he's great. I'll give it serious thought.

I just figured that an opportunity existed to get the moon for him. I'd explore it and see if it made sense. I wanted to see what other's thought too.

Fantastic right up though. I can't give you rep because I've given you too much already (your posts are always very good). So I do apologize haha.

Also I won't be able to give anyone else rep till tomorrow, but I will...

G - Murray, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Put Weber on your league trade block right now.
    Nothing increases "perceived" player value like a new location.
    I've advised others to hold Weber for this very reason (speculation of a new team).

Side story (that I tell often in these cases):
    Three years ago I drafted Ilya Kovalchuk in the 2nd round of an inaugural points-only pool that has both a regular season/playoff aspect. I absolutely can't stand Kovalchuk but he was in the contract year with the Thrashers. I knew he'd be traded and the thought of Kovalchuk on a playoff-contender would fetch a great return. Two days after he was traded to New Jersey, I was able to move him in a 1-for-1 deal for the injured Evgeni Malkin. Won my pool this year thanks to having Malkin.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Put Weber on your league trade block right now.
    Nothing increases "perceived" player value like a new location.
    I've advised others to hold Weber for this very reason (speculation of a new team).

Side story (that I tell often in these cases):
    Three years ago I drafted Ilya Kovalchuk in the 2nd round of an inaugural points-only pool that has both a regular season/playoff aspect. I absolutely can't stand Kovalchuk but he was in the contract year with the Thrashers. I knew he'd be traded and the thought of Kovalchuk on a playoff-contender would fetch a great return. Two days after he was traded to New Jersey, I was able to move him in a 1-for-1 deal for the injured Evgeni Malkin. Won my pool this year thanks to having Malkin.
    See this is exactly why I was thinking of doing it. I'm a huge fan of Weber, but I'm a bigger fan of winning and Weber going to Philly could very well help me win.

G - Murray, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Legend

Weber will be a gorilla on the Flyers - 20 goals, 35-40 assists.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Genius

If he remains in Nashville, expect more of the same from Shea.

If he moves to Philly, I'd be salivating.....I would have no interest in moving a talent like him.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by jag77 View Post
    If he remains in Nashville, expect more of the same from Shea.

If he moves to Philly, I'd be salivating.....I would have no interest in moving a talent like him.
    Same here, if Weber goes to Flyers he should be 50+ points for the next 5-6 seasons. If he stays in Nash then he will continue to be one of the most overrated fantasy D I have ever seen.

Banned

i'd expect the same number of points and goals wherever he ends up, but his value will be higher

Dobber Sports Prodigy

....I was thinking he same question myself. I recently was offered a 2nd (last one) and four 5ths for Weber lately from a Philly fan. He has 3 other 2nd round picks so I declined. I too will be asking for the "moon" for Weber. If Philly is the place, mark me anywhere 60+.....Sure he will rock the blueline defensively, but his point totals have to increase in Philly. It's a whole different system, plus look at the top end talent compared to Nashville. So I will respectfully disagree with others who think Weber's points will not increase........I think Weber in Philly is going to rock!! (and I'm not even a Flyers fan)
    14 team points only league
    9 forwards (3 of each position)
    4 defense
    2 goalies
    farm team option
    Must submit top 4 pointing players back into draft at end of every season
    14 rounds
    Can only carry over 12 players each year