Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Thread: [Offer Sheet Matched] SHEA WEBER SIGNS WITH PHILLY! 14 Years/100Mill!!!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Still - f*cking nut job.
    Or Homer just has humangous beeg balls. Like, the size of the Universe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Here is the deal breakdown per Kypreos:

Year 1 = $1m salary (base) + $13m signing bonus
    Year 2 = $1m salary (base) + $13m signing bonus
    Year 3 = $1m salary (base) + $13m signing bonus
    Year 4 = $1m salary (base) + $13m signing bonus
    Year 5 = $4m salary (base) + $8m signing bonus
    Year 6 = $4m salary (base) + $8m signing bonus
    Year 7 = $6m salary (base)
    Year 9 = $6m salary (base)
    Year 10 = $6m salary (base)
    Year 11 = $3m salary (base)
    Year 12 = $1m salary (base)
    Year 13 = $1m salary (base)
    Year 14 = $1m salary (base)

That is $80 MILLION in hard cash paid to Shea Weber within 6 calendar years - HALF the entire franchise net worth. Wow.
    i know every franchise is different, but minnesota gave up 60% of their worth in the parise deals in the first six years of those respective contracts.... NJ gave up
    40% of their worth for the first 8 years of kovie... its just the nature of a front loaded contract...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Well to me those are totally different situations. Burke always says stuff like that - Nashville's ownership doesn't. If they go against everything they've said, it a kiss of death to the franchise. Why would their fans go see their games anymore? I bet there'd be a huge drop in attendance, merchandise sales etc.

It is business - no denying there - but to me the best business decision here is to keep Weber as a Nashville Predator for life.
    Exactly what I've been saying, it would be a bad dusines decision - no playoffs - significantly worse ticket sales - drop in merchandise. Over the length of the contract Weber will make good on the money he would get for Nashville.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Initiate

The Preds' net worth has little to do with how much the ownership can actually afford to spend. I don't understand why you keep bringing that up.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Or Homer just has humangous beeg balls. Like, the size of the Universe.
    Just reminded me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K77ehXQqLg

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm pretty much with the school of thought that the Preds have to match or they might as well move the team out.

It was pretty much assumed that they would probably miss out on one of the three guys (Rinne, Weber, Suter)..but can you imagine how enraged the fanbase would be if they lost both of their stud defensemen...regardless of who they have in the pipeline.
    I dunno, I ain't no businessman but for all this talk about this being a business decision I don't understand how Nashville owners can allow it to happen because doing so would just be bad business in my eyes.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    The Preds' net worth has little to do with how much the ownership can actually afford to spend. I don't understand why you keep bringing that up.
    A company's net worth, in most cases, will be a big factor in determining internal budgets and spendable cash (regardless of league cap parameters). That said, I'm certainly not well-versed in the Nashville Predators ownership situation. But I'm inclined to think that the "overall" deal is not the tough pill for Nashville to swallow here, it's the large chunk of money that needs to be paid "up-front" (and over the next 6 years) with a potential work stoppage looming that will prohibit the franchise from generating revenue.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

That's a lot of lettuce.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    Philly is nuts. Does this mean Pronger is 100% done?
    yes they already know that behind the scenes.. they will LTIR.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Does anyone have the exact dollar figure for cap purposes? I read through like 80% of the thread and didn't find it so apologies if it's been posted.
    2012-13 (age 27): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
    2013-14 (28): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
    2014-15 (29): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
    2015-16 (30): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
    2016-17 (31): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
    2017-18 (32): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
    2018-19 (33): $6 million salary
    2019-20 (34): $6 million salary
    2020-21 (35): $6 million salary
    2021-22 (36): $6 million salary
    2022-23 (37): $3 million salary
    2023-24 (38): $1 million salary
    2024-25 (39): $1 million salary
    2025-26 (40): $1 million salary

I believ ethe cap hit is 7.5
    Girrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooux

Dobber Sports Prodigy

sorry im slow to reply i see it was already there.
    Girrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooux

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    i know every franchise is different, but minnesota gave up 60% of their worth in the parise deals in the first six years of those respective contracts.... NJ gave up
    40% of their worth for the first 8 years of kovie... its just the nature of a front loaded contract...
    True, but these are different situations and different hockey markets - that cannot be emphasized enough.

Let's look at Minnesota - they were ADDING two elite players for nothing to an established team. These additions ALONE will generate revenue via a spike in ticket prices, ticket sales, jersey sales, etc. The second Parise and Suter put on Wild jerseys they started "making money" for the Minnesota Wild.

In Nashville's case, there are RETAINING a player that the fans are already used to. The ticket sales are what they are, the Weber jerseys are already purchased. Resigning Weber will stop the bleeding but it will NOT generate any additional revenue in of itself.

Another factor is team success. The Wild are adding two stars to their team which immediately turned their team from a pretender to contender. The Nashville Predators have LOST Ryan Suter, Alex Radulov and a couple other role players brought in to add scoring punch. They are WORSE off than they were heading into the playoffs - that is not a recipe for recouping "additional" revenue.

I agree that IF the Predators don't match, they are in deep, deep crap from both a competitive and PR standpoint, which is why, to save face, I think they need to (and will) go back to Philly and workout a 2nd deal worth players and picks.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm just waiting for Burkie to weigh in and scold the rest of the league about the biggest offersheet in league history being evil and underhanded and how Holmgren yanked away the 'excellent' trade talks he was having with the Preds for Weber.

Banned

why would Philly work out a trade if the Preds can't match the offer? Just sit there and do nothing.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Do you own the Nashville Predators? This is a total business decision now - not a hockey one or fantasy one. The Predators would have to pay 16% of their entire franchise net worth here. If the owner cannot afford to do it, it can't be done. Period. Kind of like me saying, "my car won't be repossessed!" But guess what happens if I can't afford to make my payments?

I don't know for sure if/how the Predators ownership group can afford to buck up this type of money, based on their business model. Maybe then can. But the fact that Poile has been in deep trade discussions for weeks regarding Weber leads me to believe:

A. They realize they can't match any offer Weber would be getting on the open market and refuse to lose him for nothing.

B. Shea Weber had expressed that he does NOT want to remain a Predator for life.

C. The Predators were waiting (and hoping) a new CBA would benefit them and increase their odds of retaining Weber - and the Flyers just nuked that possibility.

Sure, there is definitely a chance the Preds match without batting an eye. But if so, why were they engrossed in trade talks for weeks with other clubs? Doesn't make sense to me.

fung... solid, solid, solid. REP, man... big REP.

I love your line of thinking on the Nashville situation.
    I speculated that Weber might be gone several times this year.
    Back in late-January I speculated that Weber would be signed to a RFA contract by another team (I predicted EDM) and that Nashville would just take the picks.
    Nashville is still small market, it's still a business, they can manage this team well with 1st draft picks at a bargain price.

Personally, the decision to keep Weber is not Poile's decision, IMO.
    Something of this magnitude ($100m) is given a yay/nay by the owners. Cut & dry.
    Poile's job is to take responsibility for the decision and make the move.
    This safeguards the owners from hate (& decreased fan support).

Does anybody know what the contract works out to for compensation picks?
    Is it really four 1sts?
    The contract is $100m/14 years = $7.142. This would be 1st/1st/2nd/3rd
    ...or...
    Does the RFA look at smaller periods of time toward the front-end to determine the compensation?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Break down

EDIT: sorry, didn't see it was already posted; my bad.

According to a tweet from Nick Kypreos, the Flyers offer sheet for Shea Weber breaks down as:

Years 1-4: $1 million in base salary and $13 million in signing bonuses ($56 million)
    Years 5-6: $4 million in base salary and $8 million in signing bonuses ($24 million)
    Years 7-10: $6 million in base salary ($24 million)
    Year 11: $3 million in base salary ($3 million)
    Years 12-14: $1 million in base salary ($3 million)
    The Predators have until July 25th to match the offer sheet.

The cap hit would be $7.85 million and the compensation would be TWO first round picks, a second round pick and a third round pick.

Sam Carchidi tweets, “For compensation, they divide 5 years (not 14) into total value (about $100M), which is why #Flyers wld have to give 4 first-rounders.”

Dan Rosen tweets, “If Weber is unhappy in Nash, then why sign offer sheet? He knows Preds can match. I see this as a way to force Preds hands and strike gold.”
    Last edited by Czechline; July 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
    11 Team 1yr. daily update Yahoo Roto League (drafted 6th)
    Roster: 2C, 2L, 2R, 4D, 1U, 2G, 10 B, 1IR (NO max games played)
    Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, BS, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: J. Thornton, N. Backstrom, P. Stastny, D. Desharnais, Z. Konopka
    L: J. Benn (C/L), Jo. Staal (C/L), D. Perron (C/L), S. Kostitsyn, A. McDonald (C/L), B. Prust
    R: M. St.Louis, B. wheeler, J. Voracek, T. Purcell
    D: S. Weber, A. Goligoski, J. Carlson, D. Seidenberg, J. Gorges
    G: J. Quick, M. Smith, J. Hiller
    IR: --