Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Flyers trade talks for Rick Nash heating up

Banned

shouldn't philly's next move be for a defenceman?
    especially if they don't resign the mediocre carle...
    what's left?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Question to Flyers fans:

If you're opposed in dealing Schenn/Couturier in a deal for either Nash/Ryan, what's your stand on Wayne Simmonds? Haven't seen his name thrown around in these speculations but seems to me the next player Anaheim/Columbus should be looking at from your roster after those two youngters.
    simmonds isnt going to be the main piece in a ryan/nash deal. one of couturier/voracek will.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    simmonds isnt going to be the main piece in a ryan/nash deal. one of couturier/voracek will.
    I didn't mean he'd be the main piece.

But if I'm Columbus, there's no way Voracek would be the main piece coming back either. They should rather take Simmonds as the main piece. Would be stupid of them go back to Voracek a year later.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I didn't mean he'd be the main piece.

But if I'm Columbus, there's no way Voracek would be the main piece coming back either. They should rather take Simmonds as the main piece. Would be stupid of them go back to Voracek a year later.
    id rather have voracek again a year later, than simmonds.

but yea i agree, voracek back is unlikely, and the flyers dont want to deal couturier, and schenn is probably staying with luke being acquired.

which is why i think flyers are out of the nash sweepstakes, and will get ryan for voracek ++

Dobber Sports Legend

Question to Flyers fans:

If you're opposed in dealing Schenn/Couturier in a deal for either Nash/Ryan, what's your stand on Wayne Simmonds? Haven't seen his name thrown around in these speculations but seems to me the next player Anaheim/Columbus should be looking at from your roster after those two youngters.
    Carcillo,

Flyers fans are very conflicted on the possibility of acquiring Rick Nash. Some just think he's overrated as a player (I happen to think he's fantastic) and most just think his contract is untouchable, considering the tag AND the wealth of assets the Flyers would have to give up in return. Giroux's contract is up in 2 years and if the Flyers bring in Nash (who is making $7.8m) what are they going to have to pay Giroux who will be their best player and likely captain?

But, putting Giroux's next deal and future Flyer contracts aside, NO ONE wants to part with a core piece of the promising, young center ice the Flyers have assembled (Giroux, Schenn, Couturier) - apparently the Flyers brass doesn't either.

You asked about Wayne Simmonds - I would say he's right behind the young centers in terms of unwillingness to trade. Simmonds was really impressive for the Flyers this year and instantly became a fan-favorite. His game is tailor-made for the orange & black and he's beloved right now in Philly. His contributions on the ice are fantastic, his attitude and grit is just as fantastic, and he still has room to grow and improve his game. He's part of the tight chemistry the Flyers finally have in their room again.

The likely expendable candidates include:

1. Jakub Voracek - (RFA) who has improved on his overall game in Philly and was very good in the playoffs. He is without a doubt a top-6 forward on any team and a 1st line winger on some. He's a big body, good skater and has nice mitts. The knock on him was his work ethic but that was by no means an issue this year. I think he has some solid trade value (more than most think).

2. Matt Read - coming off a 24 goal rookie season, his production for cap hit ($800k) is one of the best "values" in the NHL. This is why other teams covet him, although his name alone doesn't represent "star power". He's on the smaller side but his skills and shot remind Flyers fans of Patrick Sharp (who was also a late-bloomer that the Flyers bailed on too early).

3. Scott Laughton - recently drafted 1st round pick is a rugged, two-way center who has been compared to Mike Richards and John Madden types. His stock was rising come draft day and he played very well down the stretch as both a scorer and excellent shutdown center. He won't be a "main" piece in a big deal but he could be the piece that pushes a deal over the hump.

4. Andrej Meszaros - was the Flyers most improved defenseman a couple years ago. Solid top 4 guy who is modestly compensated by today's standards. The Flyers will be hard-pressed to move him if they lose Carle to free agency.
    Last edited by fungchen3; July 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka