Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Justin Schultz Saga

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    The Ducks failed miserably to take care of business with a high draft choice
    Shoeless, I would like to know what you mean by this. As a fan of the game, a big part of me is actually happy that Schultz chose the path he genuinely wanted. I love the Oilers and think it's a great thing for Hockey that they will be an exciting, marketable team again. The fact that this kid chose a team in a "hockey" market (who free agents notoriously shied away from recently) is something I truly admire. Really. But, how did the Ducks fail miserably? By all accounts they offered him a deal in March and were fine with him signing early to flush a year on his EL contract. The money was the same regardless of where he played. And he would definitely crack the Ducks top 4 the same way he would the Oilers. The Oilers are just a team on the the upswing in a hockey market - if that's why Schultz wanted to sign with them, that's fine and within his right, but he did the Ducks dirty and could have went about the whole thing a different way. I just don't see how the Ducks failed. What else could they do realistically?
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Fungchen, you are beginning to sound like one of these fantasy hockey GM's that talk about being insulted by a trade offer. Being insulted is a choice and trust me not a good one.

Let me propose a scenario. Schultz idolizes Nieds - respects him as a hockey player and a person to the nth degree. Nieds calls and Schultz knows he is going to get the full court press, he also knows the end of the useful conversation is him saying I am going to the Oil. He simply doesn't want to have that conversation, so chooses not to take Nied's call.

Go ahead, get insulted.

Way too much drama over a business decision - Schultz never broke bread at the Ducks training table - there is no team effect. Bob Murray screwed the pooch on this a long time ago - put him on the ice and tell him to secure his helmet tightly.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Shoeless, I would like to know what you mean by this. As a fan of the game, a big part of me is actually happy that Schultz chose the path he genuinely wanted. I love the Oilers and think it's a great thing for Hockey that they will be an exciting, marketable team again. The fact that this kid chose a team in a "hockey" market (who free agents notoriously shied away from recently) is something I truly admire. Really. But, how did the Ducks fail miserably? By all accounts they offered him a deal in March and were fine with him signing early to flush a year on his EL contract. The money was the same regardless of where he played. And he would definitely crack the Ducks top 4 the same way he would the Oilers. The Oilers are just a team on the the upswing in a hockey market - if that's why Schultz wanted to sign with them, that's fine and within his right, but he did the Ducks dirty and could have went about the whole thing a different way. I just don't see how the Ducks failed. What else could they do realistically?
    Well you have a point, Murray had limited options but when was the last time an NCAA player didn't sign an ELC with the team he was drafted by? Sorry, but I think the Ducks front office went to sleep here, something failed in the Ducks management of an asset they held the rights to.

But now it's Schultz's doing the Ducks dirt. Hmmmm.

The Wolverine

I know this comment will show my ignorance as I don't really pay any attention to prospects at all. But why is there so much attention on him and the situation? It's as though a lot is being made on where he's going, like he's going to be the next superstar!

It's an honest question and not trying to make light of it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I know this comment will show my ignorance as I don't really pay any attention to prospects at all. But why is there so much attention on him and the situation? It's as though a lot is being made on where he's going, like he's going to be the next superstar!

Not sure I have the whole anwer, Horrorfan, but I think the following are factors:

* Projected to be a top 4 D guy almost immediately. 2nd round pick in 2008.

* Costs nothing for Edmonton to sign him to ELC. Ducks get squat for him.

* All in all, a pretty attractive asset for the price.

Dobber Sports Legend

Sorry, but I think the Ducks front office went to sleep here, something failed in the Ducks management of an asset they held the rights to.
    Shoeless, this is a possibility for sure. But, based on the reported offers the Ducks attempted to make him (on more than one occasion) I thinking it's pretty obvious his agents advised him to be patient and he'll have a golden opportunity to somewhat control his destiny (his legal right). But the truth is we'll probably never know the real dynamics behind why this whole deal went down. Like I said, the pure "hockey" fan in me is happy he is in Edmonton. Fantasy-wise I don't own him either way, but if I did, I would be REALLY happy. And I would think the next CBA this loophole will be addressed to protect the clubs a little more - it's tough losing a promising talent at 22 before he's had a chance to contribute to your club.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post

Horrorfan, Schultz is a very talented defenseman who, since being drafted 4 years ago as an 18 year old, has continued to improve in large spurts. He has been widely considered the best overall college defenseman in years (maybe since the Johnson boys) and is already being labelled a "better version of Jake Gardiner" by the hockey men who have watched him closely through the years. He's expected to make an NHL roster (Oilers) out of camp, compete for a top-4 role, and run the top PP unit. Like Shoeless said, for the low price, this kid is an absolute STEAL right now.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

The Wolverine

Not sure I have the whole anwer, Horrorfan, but I think the following are factors:

* Projected to be a top 4 D guy almost immediately. 2nd round pick in 2008.

* Costs nothing for Edmonton to sign him to ELC. Ducks get squat for him.

* All in all, a pretty attractive asset for the price.
    Horrorfan, Schultz is a very talented defenseman who, since being drafted 4 years ago as an 18 year old, has continued to improve in large spurts. He has been widely considered the best overall college defenseman in years (maybe since the Johnson boys) and is already being labelled a "better version of Jake Gardiner" by the hockey men who have watched him closely through the years. He's expected to make an NHL roster (Oilers) out of camp, compete for a top-4 role, and run the top PP unit. Like Shoeless said, for the low price, this kid is an absolute STEAL right now.
    Shoeless, fungchen3, thanks for clearing that up.

Dobber Sports Master

When I first saw this thread title I admit that I found 'Saga' to be a bit of a grandiose term.

It appears I was incorrect.

The Ducks should have traded his ass at the draft.

Let's say every time you ask your girlfriend if she's cheating on you she responds by changing the subject and acting evasive. You should not be blindsided if you catch her in bed with someone else. There were enough hints for the Ducks figure out they probably weren't the frontrunner and they should have acted accordingly.

That doesn't mean that Schultz didn't dick them around, but at some point they should have clued in.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Pro

Well at least now w can all sit back and watch this kid play. I am more interested to see if EDM will be drafting #1 again next year.
    As I have said, they have all the talent in the world there but only for a limited time. If this team does not start winning soon, some of these guy are going to get sick of a losing culture and want to go somewhere they can win.
    The window is not unlimited, if this team does not make the playoffs, all these young egos may have to be managed by the team or their agents will manage them right out of town.
    It would be nice to see all this talent grow and play together, but in today's day and age I am not optimistic about it happening.
    Schultz may be a #1D, but what he is right now will be interesting to see.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Of course his agent told him to not take the call. But if you're a hockey guy and Niedermayer calls, you take his ****ing call out of respect.
    Out of respect?? Seriously?? Scott Neidermayer was calling Schultz out of respect??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    Well at least now w can all sit back and watch this kid play. I am more interested to see if EDM will be drafting #1 again next year.
    As I have said, they have all the talent in the world there but only for a limited time. If this team does not start winning soon, some of these guy are going to get sick of a losing culture and want to go somewhere they can win.
    The window is not unlimited, if this team does not make the playoffs, all these young egos may have to be managed by the team or their agents will manage them right out of town.
    It would be nice to see all this talent grow and play together, but in today's day and age I am not optimistic about it happening.
    Schultz may be a #1D, but what he is right now will be interesting to see.
    If the Oilers finish with the #1 overall pick again next year then I think they take the title for the most inept team in NHL history.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    If the Oilers finish with the #1 overall pick again next year then I think they take the title for the most inept team in NHL history.
    Has a team ever had the 1st overall pick 3 years in a row(besides the Oilers)?? Let alone 4??

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Has a team ever had the 1st overall pick 3 years in a row(besides the Oilers)?? Let alone 4??
    Nordiques had three in a row ('89 Sundin, '90 Nolan, '91 Lindros) and Ottawa had 3 1st overalls in 4 years ('93 Daigle, '95 Berard, '96 Phillips)
    Last edited by wendelclark17; July 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM.

Speaking of Schultz, he is being interviewed on TSN.. He said the calls from Gretz and Coffey was "pretty awesome and something he will never forget"..