Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The good signs for Grigorenko

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    He will have to be sound defensively, no doubt. Ruff demands two-way play from all his cats. He likes the ability to roll four (at least three) w/out being overly concerned about whether the opposition's top line is on the ice.

That said the depth isn't as deep as it appears. Roy, Adam, and Stafford can and will be moved in any combo if a situation arises that demands it (see: Bobby Ryan). I'd move Roy and Stafford for Ryan, and move Adam to winger w/Ennis and Foligno on the third line.

Hodgson is the team's 2nd line center. They believe Grigs can be their future #1, however, make no mistake Regier is keeping all his options open should something better present itself. I say two years, with one caveat - a new coach in 2013 could change all this.

Point being, the roster as it exists today is by no means likely to be the roster on opening day.

Per NHL.com

Buffalo GM Darcy Reiger has already touched base with Mikhail Grigorenko's agent to declare his intentions to open contract talks in the very near future.

Per Rotoworld

The Sabres believe he could crack their roster as early as next season. Grigorenko was just selected 12th overall by the organization in the 2012 draft.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If he plays, then there's a big trade coming in Buffalo. Currently, there is no room for him.

Also, Patrick Roy will be pissed because he drafted Grigorenko buddy in Nikita Kucherov today at the CHL import draft.

If he doesn't play in the NHL, can you imagine Kucherov and Grigorenko in the Q! Wow!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If he plays, then there's a big trade coming in Buffalo. Currently, there is no room for him.

Also, Patrick Roy will be pissed because he drafted Grigorenko buddy in Nikita Kucherov today at the CHL import draft.

If he doesn't play in the NHL, can you imagine Kucherov and Grigorenko in the Q! Wow!
    Actually he won't be pissed because they already had another import player before drafting Kucherov. Roy is working under the assumption that Grigorenko doesn't return, but if he does they will have to trade one of their imports.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    I saw that same series your friends did against Halifax and it was shocking how useless he was out there....Mono or not, you get a feel for if a guy's just phoning it in and that is exactly what he did. What will his excuse be in a 3rd round playoff series after suffering the usual knocks? Heart is something you can see in a player no mater what condition he is in and I failed to see any heart from Grigs when the chips were down in the playoffs....bad sign in my books and those of the many teams who passed on him.
    I'm not sure you understand how serious mono is. I've had it before and I would get passed out exhausted from sitting upright too long....I couldn't imagine playing hockey (playoff hockey at that).

Playing on a couple broken toes or a strained shoulder is doable.....but to play high level hockey when you get exhausted within 30 seconds is pretty much impossible.

Honestly the fact he played through mono and his ankle/foot problem shows a ton of heart to me.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    He will have to be sound defensively, no doubt. Ruff demands two-way play from all his cats. He likes the ability to roll four (at least three) w/out being overly concerned about whether the opposition's top line is on the ice.

That said the depth isn't as deep as it appears. Roy, Adam, and Stafford can and will be moved in any combo if a situation arises that demands it (see: Bobby Ryan). I'd move Roy and Stafford for Ryan, and move Adam to winger w/Ennis and Foligno on the third line.

Hodgson is the team's 2nd line center. They believe Grigs can be their future #1, however, make no mistake Regier is keeping all his options open should something better present itself. I say two years, with one caveat - a new coach in 2013 could change all this.

Point being, the roster as it exists today is by no means likely to be the roster on opening day.
    Roy is the only center in Buffalo with significant NHL experience. So he shouldn't be parted with lightly. I do think that Ennis could be a servicable L1 center for the time being but I would find it hard to put a player so young in such an important possition if I wasnt absolutely sure. Hodgson is not ready to take up that kind of responsibilty which I am sure of. And if Ennis is injured that would put the Sabres in a very difficult position. Perhaps the Sabres do part with Roy but I think it would be smarter to wait until the season got underway so they could see how well their young centers are performing.
    Last edited by letangerang58; June 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    I'm not sure you understand how serious mono is. I've had it before and I would get passed out exhausted from sitting upright too long....I couldn't imagine playing hockey (playoff hockey at that).

Playing on a couple broken toes or a strained shoulder is doable.....but to play high level hockey when you get exhausted within 30 seconds is pretty much impossible.

Honestly the fact he played through mono and his ankle/foot problem shows a ton of heart to me.
    I totally agree. He fell farther than he should've because of that- and Buffalo should be extremely pleased...
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Banned

That's fine but Grigs was dropping well before mono. People who didn't like him, like Craig Button, had him very low even before he broke his ankle.

He should have not played with these ailments/injuries.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    I totally agree. He fell farther than he should've because of that- and Buffalo should be extremely pleased...
    He didn't. For the love of god people, do you think scouts are sitting there ignoring his medical reports and medical issues? No. They know mono affects a player's game. They have issues well beyond how he did while he had mono or a broken ankle.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ev, who is the other import for the Ramparts?

Grigorenko fell where he should. I thought washington would pick him at the 11th spot.
    Here's the order for forwards at the draft. Yakupov-Galchenyuk-Forsberg and finally Grigorenko. Nothing wrong with that.

Banned

Nick Sorensen is the other import

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    Roy is the only center in Buffalo with significant NHL experience. So he shouldn't be parted with lightly.
    I think the fact that he has yet to be moved is evidence that they will not do so whimsically. However, as I suggested, they will iff the situation demands it.

I do think that Ennis could be a servicable L1 center for the time being but I would find it hard to put a player so young in such an important possition if I wasnt absolutely sure.
    Ennis is a great third line center option. If he plays on the first or second line it will be as a winger - which is why his value team-wise is so high...imo.

Hodgson is not ready to take up that kind of responsibilty which I am sure of. And if Ennis is injured that would put the Sabres in a very difficult position.
    To the former - true. My statement re Hodgson as the team's #2 was meant only as an ultimate endpoint.

To the latter - agreed, there is risk.

Perhaps the Sabres do part with Roy but I think it would be smarter to wait until the season got underway so they could see how well their young centers are performing.
    Perhaps. But really depends on the UFA market and trade environment. If the situation arose where Roy could be packaged and moved for 30-40 goal scorer you do it. What do they have to lose? I mean it doesn't get worse than not making the playoffs - just missing is still missing.

The environment is changing in Buffalo. This whole "let's wait and see" attitude has been kicked to the curb. And rightly so...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ace

Couldn't agree more! I had it during my final exams in high school as a senior, Studying was impossible, barely scraped through my exams, teachers were all amazed I was able to attend let alone pass! mono really does completely drain you, even two months later I couldnt exercise longer than 20mins without being absolutely exhausted and needing a sleep. I Couldn't fathom playing high level hockey with it, that to me shows a real passion and drive and yes heart. Add in the broken foot and wow! This kid WILL be a star in the NHL.

Huh....Whats happened to my Rep? Dont post a post in months and its gone...?
    Last edited by sasquatch; June 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM.
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Huh....Whats happened to my Rep? Dont post a post in months and its gone...?
    Dobber changed how many rep you get for certain things, like years being a member, post count, and rep received. The names given to people (I believe I am labelled as a "pro" at the moment) have changed too. There is a thread about it somewhere...

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Oh...

...and not to beat a dead horse, but the Sabres made the playoffs in 2010-11 when Roy played 35 games. What was their record w/out him...???

Gerbe filled in just fine.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    That's fine but Grigs was dropping well before mono. People who didn't like him, like Craig Button, had him very low even before he broke his ankle.

He should have not played with these ailments/injuries.
    Had he not of played the same people who are saying they didnt affect him hardly,would rip on him for not playing through them and saying its because hes Russian and has no heart, Its a no win situation for the kid.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky