Thread: I had a dream

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default I had a dream

I had a dream that the NHL took a year of to think about what was wrong with the sport and took drastic measures to set it straight. The league decided not to award ridiculous contracts, not to create an atmosphere that the elite teams would not prey on the smaller market teams. That the small markets would be able to flourish and re-sign their coveted franchise players, that players truly meant what they said about hometown discounts, that the league\'s crackdown on obstruction would include the post season. That the league would stop considering expansion to nontraditional markets and would actually negotiate a good television contract.

Then I woke up this morning and realized it was just only a dream.
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re:I had a dream

There is the dream world and then there is reality. In the real world common sense does not necessarily prevail.

Nice thoughts that you had though.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The lockout was such a waste. Sure, there\'s a salary cap, but within each team there will be about four multi-millionaires and a bunch of hosers making the league minimum. Then again, the league minimum is what I make in a decade, so even for the role players life is sweet.

Still, why did we suffer through a year without hockey only to see the owners still unable to control themselves when it comes to spending? Isn\'t that what brought about the lockout to begin with?

It makes you want to abandon the NHL and go with, say, the National Lacrosse League http://www.nll.com/- which is just getting better while the NHL keeps screwing up.
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

Dobber Sports Sophomore

woot lacrosse!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The thing that I find interesting is that what happens when the current CBA runs its course. Are we going to see another lock-out? We\'re going to see more bitching from the have-not teams again. I don\'t think the revenue-sharing can be helping that much.

Everyone made fun of the players for capitulating and giving in to the salary cap. But in hindsight, it appears that they\'ve done brilliantly. Imagine if the game every really took off in the US? Imagine if they NHL ever managed a real TV deal in the US? We could see salaries increase even more.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I have to say I think certain owners are digging their own graves, BUT the cap is at least partially working, as evidenced when guys like Thornton and Iginla sign extensions that are lower than they could have had on the market. Not to mention Sundin\'s new contract, which was a hometown discount.

One thing about the cap is it is really going to make it hard to build a dynasty. If you look at a team like Tampa Bay prior to the lockout, if they had had the chance to re-sign Khabibulin, Kubina, Stillman, etc. they would have been serious contenders for years..... Now with the cap they\'re handcuffed with three or four huge contracts and no money left to add the missing pieces.

The cap didn\'t get rid of the haves and have nots, but I think there is more competitive balance..... A team like Toronto missing the playoffs the last couple of years is proof that the cap is having an effect.... If a team doesn\'t develop its players and draft well it will struggle in the long term. The Flyers will be better next season, but teams that sign these deals will pay for it down the road. Sometimes, though,these deals work out (even when a team overpays). Gomez is still making less per year than Holik was years ago, so we\'re still ahead of where we were at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post edited by: flanders, at: 2007/07/02 14:04
    Six-Team League (8 keepers; 25-player roster; minimum of 4 defencemen; 1 team/goalies; bottom five players do not count in point totals)
    **Crosby, Benn, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Gaudreau, Kopitar, Mackinnon