Thread: Marleu for Kovalev?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Marleu for Kovalev?

I seen a post on another site that says a french paper reports that a deal involving Marleau and Bernier will be going to Montreal for Kovalev, Halak, the rights to Perezhogin and an 08 1st rnd pick will be anounced within the week. Wondering if anyone has heard anything on this.

I don\'t tend to believe these rumours much BUT if the sharks can sign Drury as they are apparently going to try to do it it could almost make sense. What do you guys think about this, think it\'s possible.
    H2H Points
    Protect- roster:18 + prospects:7
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    D- Doughty, Hedman, Boyle, Meszaros, Wideman
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    F- Bowman, Coyle, Adam, Zibenajad, Geoffrion
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:Marleu for Kovalev?

god i hope not. i cant see that though from the sharks. kovalev is older and not a leader type player, which is what we would need. and bernier and marleau are young and great players. i just dont see it.....
    Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/AaronSholl

Fantasy Hockey Keeper League Details: http://tinyurl.com/GoSharksHockey

Dobber Sports Initiate

87Flyer wrote:
    I seen a post on another site that says a french paper reports that a deal involving Marleau and Bernier will be going to Montreal for Kovalev, Halak, the rights to Perezhogin and an 08 1st rnd pick will be anounced within the week. Wondering if anyone has heard anything on this.

I don\'t tend to believe these rumours much BUT if the sharks can sign Drury as they are apparently going to try to do it it could almost make sense. What do you guys think about this, think it\'s possible.
    As a Canadians Fan, This would be a great trade. Danis could easily fill in for the backup role instead of Halak. We would lose the last of our Russian players who dont contribute. However with that being said, I also hear a lot of rumours that Montreal is going pursue Briere with a big offer, so i dont know if this trade will happen. Great post though Flyer

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Great... Exit Kovalev, Welcome Marleau.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

No way is Doug Wilson that stupid. No way will this trade happen.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

San Jose would be getting nothing back in return. Absolutely nothing

Dobber Sports Apprentice

was hoping to hear back from some of our friends in Quebec on this as that is where the original story was posted apparently, figured they would\'ve heard about it before us.

I don\'t really like it for the sharks either BUT
    - if Kovalev gets a centreman like thornton and he decides to show up, WHOAH and he did play well for montreal in the playoffs a couple years back. compare that to marleau who didn\'t show up in the playoffs when they needed him most then it\'s not so bad
    - the sharks score another 1st rounder for next year, nice
    - they get another young goalie who looks to be pretty darn good to
    - the kids could turn into anything in the future and when you play with mighty joe, well you just might score 50 goals and win a nice trophy like that other guy did lol

i think this deal hinges completely on if they land Drury, if they do Marleau is expendable. Guess we\'ll see in tommorrow.
    H2H Points
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

Dobber Sports Padawan

This deal makes no sense for San Jose Drury, or no Drury. Kovalev\'s a dressing room killer, and has a better chance of ripping the Sharks room apart then he does of helping the team. With the rumours revolving around hannan leaving the team, if San Jose got Drury, they\'d be better off trading marleau for a d-man rather than an old, under-achieving, no guts winger. Kovalev may be a wizard with the puck but he only comes to play about 50% of the time. Furthermore Halak does nothing for San Jose what with Patzold and Greiss in the minors. I know San Jose has a history f stockpiling goaltending assets but this is ridiculous. The only 2 assets worth San Jose\'s attention in this deal are the rights to perezhogin, even though he\'s a stick swinging moron, and the 1st round pick. I cant believe that Wilson would do this deal.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

i really dont think wilson would do this deal. it makes absolutely no sense for the sharks perspective.

marleau is money when it comes to playoffs, look at his career. he had 1 bad series against detroit, and now everyone is bagging on him. dumb....very dumb. reminiscent of boston baggin on joe then cry when he got traded.

it wont happen.

plus we have a plethora of goalies and drafted two more this year.

Dobber Sports Stud

I hope that Wilson wouldn\'t do that trade for Kovalev. I do see them trading Marleau though. I think the Sharks had higher expectations of Marleau and they tiring of waiting.

My concern is that we already took one of Montreal\'s Russian problems (Samsonov), please don\'t let it happen again. hmy:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I can\'t see why they just dont target souray or rafalski and resign hannan. seems all they really needed was a good PP during that last round and they prolly wouldve moved on. i dont follow them that closely so i couldnt say just how valuable marleau is but for as good as they are they seem to only be a piece or 2 away and im not sure if drury really makes that much of a difference over marleau.
    H2H Points
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

Dobber Sports Pro

hockeylifer wrote:
    I hope that Wilson wouldn\'t do that trade for Kovalev. I do see them trading Marleau though. I think the Sharks had higher expectations of Marleau and they tiring of waiting.

My concern is that we already took one of Montreal\'s Russian problems (Samsonov), please don\'t let it happen again. hmy:
    Higher expectations than what he produced last year in the regular season? Higher expectations than consistently being the best clutch non-goalie player they\'ve had in the playoffs? Does one bad series against Detroit, where his shoulder was completely busted up, make him a disappointment?

Where is the trash talk about Chris Drury, then? He\'s clutch, and he failed to get his team past the Sens. Where is the talk about replacing Marty Brodeur, who collapsed(likely due to knee/leg injury) in the playoffs?

Seriously. He\'s the captain for a reason, and it\'s because he steps up when no other forward on the team does.

And there\'s no way he\'s traded for Kovalev, in any way, shape or form. I\'m starting to think that Habs trade rumours are EASILY as ridiculous as Leaf trade rumours. This one makes zero sense. it fills zero of the Sharks\' holes. No way this was thought up without an insane Hab bias.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Novice

It does seem a little ridiculous from a Sharks perspective. Kovalev might be as much a liability as an asset and Halek , well they took a year and a bit to trade Toskala, I don\'t think they need Halek. I don\'t know ,maybe I am a little too high on Marleau...

Dobber Sports Pro

Olwpgjet wrote:
    It does seem a little ridiculous from a Sharks perspective. Kovalev might be as much a liability as an asset and Halek , well they took a year and a bit to trade Toskala, I don\'t think they need Halek. I don\'t know ,maybe I am a little too high on Marleau...
    I don\'t think it matters if you\'re high on marleau, high on Kovalev or high of Halak.

It comes down to recognizing team needs, and I\'ll ask you this:
    Does Montreal want a #1 Center? Yes. Plekanec would do excellent as a 3rd C, Koivu would thrive in the 2nd pair, and if Marleau were on the top line, they could roll 3 offensive lines.

I\'ll ask you another question.
    Does San Jose need a right wing who decides when/if he\'ll show up to play, and another rookie goalie? No. San Jose has right wings in Bernier, Cheechoo, Clowe, Grier, Michalek(who had to move to his off wing due to too much right wing depth), among prospects like Setoguchi and grinders like Rissmiller. San Jose has young goalies in Greiss, Dakers and Patzold.

So does this make sense? No. It\'s clearly a Hab country rumour, born and bred. It\'s a deal that would do nothing for San Jose, and do a lot for Montreal(in getting rid of baggage in Kovalev, gaining a #1 C, and clearing room for Price).

It\'s definitely something I\'d read in one of those \"What should Montreal do this offseason?\" posts on HTR.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

wow, kudos to you sir! i couldnt have said it any better myself!