Thread: Opinion of owning more than 1 player-same team

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Opinion of owning more than 1 player-same team

How do you feel about owning more than 1 forward, from the same team, where you dress a different lineup each week? Assume this is a limited roster in a Keeper league.

For this discussion, let\'s use an example of Heatley/Spezza. (There are many other examples, I know..Semin/Ovechkin.. the Pittsburgh team being an exception).

My point is, if you own a second forward from the same team would you be satisfied to dress both of the forwards, at the same time, or would you look to trade one of them? Often it is difficult to get fair value in this circumstance. The downside of playing two from the same team being that if the team has a bad week then you have potentially two of your 6 forwards not producing. What are your thoughts?

Post edited by: hockeylifer, at: 2007/06/30 09:43

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re:Opinion of owning more than 1 player-same team

hockeylifer wrote:
    How do you feel about owning more than 1 forward, from the same team, where you dress a different lineup each week? Assume this is a limited roster in a Keeper league.

For this discussion, let\'s use an example of Heatley/Spezza. (There are many other examples, I know..Semin/Ovechkin.. the Pittsburgh team being an exception).

My point is, if you own a second forward from the same team would you be satisfied to dress both of the forwards, at the same time, or would you look to trade one of them? Often it is difficult to get fair value in this circumstance. The downside of playing two from the same team being that if the team has a bad week then you have potentially two of your 6 forwards not producing. What are your thoughts?<br><br>Post edited by: hockeylifer, at: 2007/06/30 09:43
    Depending on the players and the team.... I would have no problem with it in certain scenarios like the obvious Spezza/Heatley, but also 2 PP guys as well.. Thornton/Marleau etc...but probably not 2 guys from the same team who are not on the #1 PP... I wouldn\'t have Iggy and Lombardi
    or Sakic and Wolski, but Kovy and Hossa, no problem.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree with Dynamo. I think the 2 players involved would have to be connected for it to be worth it. Nothing better than seeing Heatley score and knowing that Spezza will almost always be in on it. The problem is if the team gets blanked your SOL so i wouldn\'t be taking chances on weaker teams. Another good example would be the Sedin twins, almost identical points, would be nice to know you have 2 guys racking up a ppg rather than hoping 2 different ones might get a ppg. I think you\'d just have to be careful which 2 guys your picking.
    I also think that when you own a combo like that your value of trading them as a pair is a lot higher than individually especially if you wait till they rack up a good week or 2.
    H2H Points
    Protect- roster:18 + prospects:7
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    D- Doughty, Hedman, Boyle, Meszaros, Wideman
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    F- Bowman, Coyle, Adam, Zibenajad, Geoffrion
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I had St. Louis and Richards two years ago and it gave me fits because both had bad years. I\'m in a H2H league so many times it came to those two deciding whether I won or lost. So I traded one. Worst move I ever made. It is a case of live by the sword die by the sword, but as long as it\'s not to Dallas players I say it\'s fine, I wish I still had both. Once you get past two though, then you\'re asking for trouble depending on how big your starting roster is.
    GWNHL Fantasy Cup Champs 06-07

Dobber Sports Prodigy

the problem with trading one of them is that unless you have idiots in your pool they will be privy to what you are doing, which in turn their market value is a little below what is expected. Of course there are exceptions to this but going week to week with 6 players you may be taking a chance. Good players have bad weeks and if they are on the same line a la Spezza and Heatley they probably will both have a bad week. But if you were to keep them in all year you would be more than O.K. Same situation in my pool and I try to avoid this as much as possible. Of course I do not have a big pairing on my team, the exceptions are a small minority

Post edited by: jaymur, at: 2007/07/01 13:48