Thread: Keepers/Expansion

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Keepers/Expansion

Here is my team.

Standard Scoring, IF, OF, UTIL, 5 SP, 2 RP. 5 bench, 1 IR, Farm Team.
    C: B Posey, M Olivo 1B: K Youkilis, J Morneau 2B: D Pedroia 3B: P Sandoval, J Peralta(SS, 3B) SS: E Andrus OF: C Granderson, J Werth, S Choo, M Cabrera
    SP: F Hernandez, C Hamels, Y Gallardo, J Cueto, J Zimmerman, S Strasburg
    RP: L Nunez, D Storen, C Zambrano
    Farm: M Trout, M Moustakas, J Teheran, M Machado

I woke up at 5 am and started thinking about my team and couldn't fall back to sleep. Guess I'm a little excited to get the new season underway. I have a few questions and any help will be greatly appreciated as right now I have too many scenarios going around in my head and I thought I'd try to get a few answers before anybody else in my league decided to do the same.

We're expanding to 12 teams this year from 10 and with that comes the expansion draft. Our commish has decided that everyone protect 5 players for this draft and the 2 expansion teams would pick 1 player each from your team. This is where I'm stumped.

Do I keep 3 pitchers (Hernandez, Hamels, Strasburg) and 2 position players (Pedroia, Granderson)? Or do I figure that since I'm only losing two players and pitchers are easier to replace than hitters do I keep all 5 position players (Pedroia, Granderson, Posey, Andrus, Sandoval) or another combination of hitters/pitchers? I guess it depends on what other people are protecting and what needs the expansion teams are looking for. Farm players are not eligible for the expansion draft so they're automatic protections.

I loved my pitching last year though. It was one of the best throughout the entire year. I wasn't in the playoff picture and every single team that was asked me about my pitching. I couldn't make any trades because I wanted it for this year. So I guess I'm a little bias in keeping my pitchers but I am definitely looking for any advice. Sorry for the rambling. Cheers

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

You can't expose Felix, that's crazy.
    Pedroia/Granderson/Felix are locks.
    That leaves 2 spots between 4 guys.
    I'm not crazy about Sandoval, so i expose him.
    Andrus makes my 4th spot.
    The 5th spot is between Hamels and SS.
    I like SS more in a keeper, but i wouldn't fault you keeping Hamels.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Wow, so many good players and so few spots.

I'm with Hootie all the way. Felix/Pedroia/Granderson/Andrus + Stras OR Hamels.

I'd be comfortable with either of them but according to Dobber's list, Stras is ranked a little bit higher than even Felix

Dobber Sports Rookie

Pedroia/Strasburg/Felix/Andrus/Granderson
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by djkiang View Post
    Pedroia/Strasburg/Felix/Andrus/Granderson
    second that
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As plentiful as SP is I think you have to go 3 hitters here and with Moustakis in your minors Andrus would seem to be the better keep. Always tough cutting 1-2 of your stars, but this impartial group seems to have it figured out for you

goldfish47

That's a pretty favorable expansion for the new guys... they should be able to build strong teams taking everyone's 6th & 7th best players. With no pullbacks, it's not an ideal situation for you as you're going to lose 2 good players no matter what. I'd go Felix/Pedroia/Andrus/Grandy/Stras for the 5. I'd expect to lose Hamels and Posey, though maybe someone will do you a favor and take Sandoval or Storen (if they're trying to fill positions, instead of taking best available like they should).

Ideally, you'd make a 2 for 1 trade, with 1 of your keepers and 1 of Hamels or Posey for a stud like Kemp, Miggy, etc. That way, you'd make an upgrade and really only lose 1 good player.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Well I seem to have my 5 set. After the expansion teams are finished picking their players we then pick 5 more players to round out the rest of our keepers. So I guess we're losing 2 players that are our 6th - 12th best.

Dobber Sports Initiate

if he is still there, i add posey after the first player lost.
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

goldfish47

That's not as bad if you can pull one back... in all likelihood, Hamels or Posey will be taken... so you'll probably end up losing one of them and I would guess Sandoval.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
    Here is my team.

Standard Scoring, IF, OF, UTIL, 5 SP, 2 RP. 5 bench, 1 IR, Farm Team.
    C: B Posey, M Olivo 1B: K Youkilis, J Morneau 2B: D Pedroia 3B: P Sandoval, J Peralta(SS, 3B) SS: E Andrus OF: C Granderson, J Werth, S Choo, M Cabrera
    SP: F Hernandez, C Hamels, Y Gallardo, J Cueto, J Zimmerman, S Strasburg
    RP: L Nunez, D Storen, C Zambrano
    Farm: M Trout, M Moustakas, J Teheran, M Machado

I woke up at 5 am and started thinking about my team and couldn't fall back to sleep. Guess I'm a little excited to get the new season underway. I have a few questions and any help will be greatly appreciated as right now I have too many scenarios going around in my head and I thought I'd try to get a few answers before anybody else in my league decided to do the same.

We're expanding to 12 teams this year from 10 and with that comes the expansion draft. Our commish has decided that everyone protect 5 players for this draft and the 2 expansion teams would pick 1 player each from your team. This is where I'm stumped.

Do I keep 3 pitchers (Hernandez, Hamels, Strasburg) and 2 position players (Pedroia, Granderson)? Or do I figure that since I'm only losing two players and pitchers are easier to replace than hitters do I keep all 5 position players (Pedroia, Granderson, Posey, Andrus, Sandoval) or another combination of hitters/pitchers? I guess it depends on what other people are protecting and what needs the expansion teams are looking for. Farm players are not eligible for the expansion draft so they're automatic protections.

I loved my pitching last year though. It was one of the best throughout the entire year. I wasn't in the playoff picture and every single team that was asked me about my pitching. I couldn't make any trades because I wanted it for this year. So I guess I'm a little bias in keeping my pitchers but I am definitely looking for any advice. Sorry for the rambling. Cheers
    I'd keep Youkilis, Pedroia, Granderson, Hamels and Felix.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Now I was just informed that we plan on keeping 6 players. This kinda held me. I was thinking hernandez, hamels, strasburg, pedroia, granderson and one of posey/andrus/sandoval. Of the last three I have them ordered in preference. What do you think?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If your league starts 2 catchers, Posey is a good choice. In a 1 catcher league I like 1 of the infielders a little more but its close

Dobber Sports Recruit

I like Posey as the last keeper as well.